Vote

I agree that the debt needs to be paid down. I just don't agree with the way the Libs are doing it.

Would much rather see a higher gst than for example closing all the domestic violence shelters for women in brisbane by stopping funding or selling local schools in growth areas or selling/leasing assets that could be made more profitable and which are covering their own costs, etc.. etc... etc...

for example closing all the domestic violence shelters for women in brisbane by stopping funding

You need to get your facts straight (well, that and stop listening to the fembots).

$100 million going to DV support - for female survivors only - over the next four years

Just curious, what do you think of the Government (State and Federal) providng $0 funding for male survivors of domestic violence? Especially considering men make up *at least* one third of DV survivors?

You need to get your facts straight (well, that and stop listening to the fembots).

$100 million going to DV support - for female survivors only - over the next four years

Just curious, what do you think of the Government (State and Federal) providng $0 funding for male survivors of domestic violence? Especially considering men make up *at least* one third of DV survivors?

Sorry I don't understand where my facts weren't "straight".

Domestic violence shelters for women have now all closed in Brisbane because the Liberal government pulled funding from them...

Also I'm not going to get into a masculinist vs feminist argument with you.

However I find those stats hard to believe.

"We recognise there will be some people who will be offended by our challenge to the incorrect data. However, every attempt has been made to ensure our research into the statistics is verifiable, rigorous and without prejudice. If any errors are found, please let us know and we will correct them immediately."

"This is an abridged version of the Overview of Findings by the Authors document, which summarizes the results of the Partner Abuse State of Knowledge Project, a comprehensive, 2,657- page review of the domestic violence research literature."

Yes. Much easier living in an echo chamber.

Do you have a link to this? All I could find from a Google search was cutting funding for housing programs.

It wasn't publicised to my knowledge. I'm trying to get the name of the last one to close, maybe if we search that one specifically we will find some reference to it in the news.

I just know about them closing because I work in a related service and a workmate used to work for a service that provided shelters etc... and she keeps up with all that info. I'll get some more info for you in a min, she's just busy right now.

And who knows I may even be wrong! :O So I'll double check and get back to you.

Already talk in the news of a Labor upset win based on exit polls. Will be amazed if it comes to pass, I had the LNP pencilled in for a 3-5 seat majority. Will put the fear into incumbent governments for sure.

Already talk in the news of a Labor upset win

Keep in mind, I don't follow politics or anything, but from reading threads on here and hearing snippets on ABC Radio when I wake up in the morning, it didn't appear that it would be an upset? I got the impression that it was expected that Labor was a serious contender.

"We recognise there will be some people who will be offended by our challenge to the incorrect data. However, every attempt has been made to ensure our research into the statistics is verifiable, rigorous and without prejudice. If any errors are found, please let us know and we will correct them immediately."

"This is an abridged version of the Overview of Findings by the Authors document, which summarizes the results of the Partner Abuse State of Knowledge Project, a comprehensive, 2,657- page review of the domestic violence research literature."

Yes. Much easier living in an echo chamber.

Really interested in this Mr.

Happy to discuss with you. Don't want an argument though. Hopefully that's okay...

I'll ask some questions I'm currently trying to find answers too as well. So hopefully I will find the answers and be able to post them up if you don't answer the questions first.

One in three wrote: "75 males were killed in domestic homicide incidents between 2008-10"

Do you know the rates for female homicides in the same period?

Also do you know what their defnition of "domestic" is? Is that just partner violence, or does that include for example family violence where a 18yo son for example kills their father or the other way around, etc...?

"?64% of women who experienced physical assault and 81.1% of women who experienced sexual assault still did not report it to police. The proportion of women aged between 18 and 34 who reported experiencing physical violence has decreased but the proportion of women who reported experiencing physical violence after 45 increased over the same period. The percentage of women who reported that their children had witnessed partner-related violence either from a current or ex-partner was lower than in 1996.
?The majority of violence against men is committed by other men. Of men who reported that they had experienced physical violence in the 12 months before the survey, 73.7% said that the perpetrator was a male.

Source: Department of Families, Housing and Community Affairs Fact Sheet 2 Women's Safety."

Interesting stats there. Looks like although 1 in 3 men are victims of domestic violence, the perpetrators of domestic violence is still about 91% men. So only 9% of perpetrators of domestic violence are women... That has to have some implications for the masculinist view that women are just as bad as men? But of course that doesn't reduce the need for domestic violence shelters for men.

Also the stat that 61% physical 81% sexual assault was not reported by women to police. So it seems it's not just violence against men that is under-reported.

Would be good to see domestic violence shelters for women, and also seperate ones for men.

Keep in mind, I don't follow politics or anything, but from reading threads on here and hearing snippets on ABC Radio when I wake up in the morning, it didn't appear that it would be an upset? I got the impression that it was expected that Labor was a serious contender.

Media had it as a close contest, but last I checked the bookies had LNP at $1.20'ish to win. If it comes out 54-46 on two party preferred it'll be beyond Labor's wildest dreams I imagine.
Also, judging by their fairly limp campaign, I don't think their heart was really in it. It seemed more like mopping up the protest vote and rebuilding the talent pool for next time.

Double checked the facts. Remembering this is just what someone I work with told me. However she's been working in this field for over 20 yrs so she probably knows her facts.

It was all domestic violence shelters for women with kids that have now closed down in brisbane. So if you are a victim of domestic violence in brisbane you better not have kids... The name of the one that shut was Glenhaven.

That was due to Cambell Newman cutting funding.

Also there was apparently a service for men with their kids fleeing domestic violence in brisbane, but that one had their funding cut and they've shut down too.

Another domestic violence service for women in brisbane is also apparently about to close because of funding being cut.

So they all seem to be shutting up shop.

One in three wrote: "75 males were killed in domestic homicide incidents between 2008-10"

Do you know the rates for female homicides in the same period?

No idea. The ABS should be able to provide those figures.

Also do you know what their definition of "domestic" is? Is that just partner violence,

It's in relation to Intimate Partner Violence, otherwise known as domestic violence (though not necessarily living together).

"?64% of women who experienced physical assault and 81.1% of women who experienced sexual assault still did not report it to police. The proportion of women aged between 18 and 34 who reported experiencing physical violence has decreased but the proportion of women who reported experiencing physical violence after 45 increased over the same period. The percentage of women who reported that their children had witnessed partner-related violence either from a current or ex-partner was lower than in 1996.
?The majority of violence against men is committed by other men. Of men who reported that they had experienced physical violence in the 12 months before the survey, 73.7% said that the perpetrator was a male.

Source: Department of Families, Housing and Community Affairs Fact Sheet 2 Women's Safety."

Interesting stats there. Looks like although 1 in 3 men are victims of domestic violence, the perpetrators of domestic violence is still about 91% men. So only 9% of perpetrators of domestic violence are women...

The report above was written by the DV Industry. An industry steeped in feminist rhetoric and has a very long history of denying female on male violence. Go to Youtube and do a search for 'Erin Pizzey' and watch some of her videos, especially the ones in which she talks about her experiences with feminists. They're a real eye opener. Proponents of the Duluth Model still, to this day, despite the mountains of evidence, deny that female on male violence even exists and that if a woman does hit a man, it's in self defence, despite the evidence to the contrary.

I've even read accounts from lesbian and bisexual women looking for assistance to escape a violent (female) partner being denied support by DV shelters because, amongst other things, 'Women aren't violent', 'You're lying', 'You're just looking for attention', 'You're a traitor to your gender'.

I would like to see (or have someone with experience in statistics) look over their numbers.

I find the following sentence particularly suspicious: "The majority of violence against men is committed by other men."

I don't see how that relates specifically to DV. No one that fights for male survivors of domestic violence would deny that statement. The issue is with the deliberate falsification of information relating to rates of female on male DV being denied and ignored by Government agencies and the DV Industry.

"So only 9% of perpetrators of domestic violence are women..."

This percentage flies directly in the face of 40+ years of research by impartial DV experts. Have a look at the numbers in this report: http://www.domesticviolenceresearch.org/pages/12_page_findings.htm.

Also the stat that 61% physical 81% sexual assault was not reported by women to police. So it seems it's not just violence against men that is under-reported.

These figures are worthless. By that I mean, it is impossible to estimate how many crimes (of any kind) go unreported. Anyone can pull out any number that is convenient to them to bolster their case.

Would be good to see domestic violence shelters for women, and also seperate ones for men.

Agreed. However, female survivors of domestic violence already receive huge amounts of support and funding from both private and public organisations. We're talking hundreds of millions of dollars a year. Male survivors receive very little. Do you know of any DV shelters for men in Australia? I'm not aware of a single one.

It was all domestic violence shelters for women with kids that have now closed down in brisbane. So if you are a victim of domestic violence in brisbane you better not have kids... The name of the one that shut was Glenhaven.

That was due to Cambell Newman cutting funding.

Also there was apparently a service for men with their kids fleeing domestic violence in brisbane, but that one had their funding cut and they've shut down too.

Another domestic violence service for women in brisbane is also apparently about to close because of funding being cut.

So they all seem to be shutting up shop.

Hi Tim, this is unrelated to your post above, however I wanted to recount a story to you. I read this about 7/8 years ago and couldn't find anything in a Google search about it now, so you'll have to take my word for it.

A bloke living on the South Coast of NSW was attempting to escape his violent wife and went to the local DV shelter to seek support (can't remember if kids were involved or not, not that it matters). Anyway, they refused to give him any help, because 'you're a man and women don't abuse'.

So he took them to court and sued. The judge found in his favour and ordered the women running the shelter to provide him with support or have their Government funding cut off as they were in violation of equal treatment 'something or other'.

So they had the choice - provide support to a man or close the shelter as they wouldn't be able to continue running the shelter without the Government funding. Their choice? Shut down the shelter.

Yep, they would rather close the shelter than help a man.

How good would it have been if Abbott had appointed Costello as his Deputy.

Costello had the leadership sewn up after Howard was voted out in his own electorate, only he didn't want it and retired, along with a few others from the great years of Liberal Govt.

It certainly would have been good, but hindsight is a great thing.

The worst thing is we've had to endure the 6 terrible years of Labor racking up debt to unsustainable levels and now trying to get back on top of it all and a media that focus on nothing but trivia instead of the real issues that need addressing.

So much noise being bandied about by media, especially ABC, does not help a nation get back on track.

Easy way to get answers, make a dv shelter for men and see if they come. Then keep track of whether it was a male or female offender.

I have lots of experience with statistics (4 years of study), mainly experimental statistics so crap about IV's DV's ancovas, chi square this, t test that. Some applies to stats like the ones about domestic violence, but really just the stuff about unaccounted for IV's, which are always interesting to critically think up.

Stats need a very good dose of critical thinking.

Anyway it's dinner time :)

Lady at work said guys suffering dv have a fair few services available to them. Mensline, also apparently there are no dv services for men however some men's homeless shelters provide dv services for men too.

Back