WA Rentals

Domain is probably more useless than the paper... Wonder if there is any agents who would charge 1 week leasing fee and allow you to self manage.

Have you erected a 'For Lease' sign? That's probably the next most effective way if you can't access realestate.com.au

After settling my first IP last week and deciding to manage it privately, I haven't seen any of this rental squeeze yet. Advertised in the West Australian Wednesday and got three phone calls, two of which were ruled out straight away, today's ad no calls yet at 11am. Rent is market value based on the few other properties available in the area - http://www.rentfind.com.au/rentals/wa/madeley/528526

I wasn't expecting to find a tenant in the first week but I was at least expecting some applications.

Is it the market then or your marketing?

As per James, we use the internet nowadays rather than the print media when searching for properties. That's not saying that eveyone does, but you need to let people know its for rent

3 phone calls after one advertisement probably wasn't too bad?

You maybe able to do a deal with an agency to source and screen tenants for you for a fee?

Why the choice to self-manage on IP #1?

I definitely feel that exposure is limited without being on realestate.com.au. A couple of local agents want around $1500 for a leasing only fee, no marketing only option. It has only been one week so I am not stressed yet, I have allowed four weeks to find the first tenant.

At around $3500/year I didn't feel agencies earn their money. My boss has several IP's, all self managed and has been through court proceedings with one bad tenant so I feel I have enough knowledge and a capable mentor to self manage my first IP. As long as you follow procedures with relevant notices I don't think an agent can do anything that I can't, apart from marketing exposure obviously.

We did get a couple of calls from Saturdays ad, one of which are submitting an application and if references check out will be a good tenant - long term renters with a good history.

Gumtree is ok, if you say you want a reference from a previous landlord (no exceptions) you weed out a lot of the rif raf.

Chomp

<iframe frameborder="0" width="576" height="324" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/australia/au-news/player.html#repeat=0&playbackStart=0&vid=29289807&browseCarouselUI=hide"></iframe>

not sure if that link works? does it sound a bit stupid tho? you can get near new 3x2 villas in mandurah for only $290pw and the PMs tell me rents haven't moved. shall I call these people and tell them?

seems it doesnt work. it's the video program here: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't find the video. Was it the same story as last nights news about people paying $600 a week for a cabin in the caravan park?

Ausprops link it worked for me by clicking open link. http://d.yimg.com/nl/australia/au-news/player.html#repeat=0&playbackStart=0&vid=29289807&browseCarouselUI=hide"></iframe></div

yes in summary people lining up to pay $600pw for a cabin and said he would take a rental interstate he is so depserate. if so desperate why not go 40 minutes to mandurah? doesn't add up. me thinks there is a dodgy rental history

The rental crisis as portrayed by the media is definitely not across all properties. It seems to be the under $400 mark that is so tight. And a large proportion of those tenants in that bracket are not the type of tenant people want, for a multitude of different reasons.

The rental crisis as portrayed by the media is definitely not across all properties. It seems to be the under $400 mark that is so tight. And a large proportion of those tenants in that bracket are not the type of tenant people want, for a multitude of different reasons.

plenty of above $400/wk properties tight as well, it just depends on the areas.

most of the inner suburbs are pretty busy at the moment, i went to a home open in northbridge 2 weeks ago, at least 30 people turned up for a 2 bed place asking $550/week and a real cross section of people. international students, backpackers, yuppies, an older couple etc

Got it...your link was missing a > at the end after div

I'm with Ausprop though, down around Mandurah is an cheaper option. I know people who live down there and work in the CBD and Osborne Park

I have my 1st IP currently listed SOR and have had a few hits but nothing to satisfy my interests. I'm asking $480 pw including lawn mowing. It's up at the higher end but has everything required and low maintenance.

Nb the property is a newly built 4X2 quite large rooms etc

Wow! Was looking at a Northbridge 2x1 on Aberdeen next to the Ford dealership before I bought a similar 2x1 in the Joondanna/Ozy Park area, cos the Northbridge one was $50k more at the time (bit out of my budget). My Joondanna place is getting $340/wk now - that's $200/pw difference! Can't be bothered doing the math now, but sounds like an extra $50k 7 years ago might've been worth it! ahh well.

plenty of above $400/wk properties tight as well, it just depends on the areas.

most of the inner suburbs are pretty busy at the moment, i went to a home open in northbridge 2 weeks ago, at least 30 people turned up for a 2 bed place asking $550/week and a real cross section of people. international students, backpackers, yuppies, an older couple etc

Back