Wages rip off

Hi All
Not property related at all just a general question on wages.

My buddy has just scored a job in a nice Cafe. Employed as casual.
My buddy is starting to think he has been employed just to get through the Easter break and a couple of weeks whilst a fulltimer goes on holls.
The Cafe owner has already said they will open all easter and he will be needed to work.
My buddy was saying to another long time staffer that the public holiday rates will be good to get over Easter.
The long time staffer said "not here" owner said he doesnt have to pay them and he wont pay them its just normal rates.

Please corret me if l am wrong but l am sure in WA that if you are not on a workplace contract that states no public holl rates then by law employees must get the public holiday rate for hours worked. Yes?

Apreciate if anyone can help with an answer.

cheers
yadreamin

. Employed as casual.
My buddy is starting to think he has been employed just to get through the Easter break and a couple of weeks whilst a fulltimer goes on holls.

Casual usually means that. sorry cant help with the legal side of it.

If it were me I would ASK the employer, what are the arrangements for pay over public holidays.

Chasing whats legal ornot will not solve my problem if there is a comms gap.

ta
rolf

Hi All
Not property related at all just a general question on wages.

My buddy has just scored a job in a nice Cafe. Employed as casual.
The Cafe owner has already said they will open all easter and he will be needed to work.
My buddy was saying to another long time staffer that the public holiday rates will be good to get over Easter.
The long time staffer said "not here" owner said he doesnt have to pay them and he wont pay them its just normal rates.

Please corret me if l am wrong but l am sure in WA that if you are not on a workplace contract that states no public holl rates then by law employees must get the public holiday rate for hours worked. Yes?

Apreciate if anyone can help with an answer.

cheers
yadreamin

If
you are not on a workplace contract that states no public holl rates
then that workplace contract of any type must pass the 'no disadvantage' test ?

Tell yer buddy to keep a track of his hours and days worked, he may need that record

Thanks for all the replies.
I will get Him to ring the wages info line on Monday.
The boss isnt very aproachable aparently.
I dont think my buddy will be employed there for much longer.

cheers

You know Mark this is one of the biggest problems faced within the hospitality industry.
The jobs are rated 2nd class.
Fill ins anyone can do it.attitude
And yes he will walk soon.

Well we pay a lot of money these days to go out for a drink or a meal and yet you expect first class service and great food for little $s

The hospitality industry has put a lot of kids through Uni has been a good part time job to get a higher step up the financial ladder. Made a lot of business owners very wealthy.

Within the hospitality industry there is a great deal of abuse of young labour, bullying by employers, crap pay rates and contracts and crapy working hours.
The next time you go out for a meal take a look who has given up their Sunday mornings to get you a nice breaky or their long weekend so you can to sit by the board walk and enjoy a few cold ales.

I think therre should be an overhaul of this industries working conditions for the benefit of all.
I will try to help my young buddy get what he rightly deserves and maybe he will go on to enjoy this fabulous industry.
I am stepping off soap box now.:)
cheers

yadreamin, ya preaching to the choir. I used to work in hospitality. That's just the way it is. I say to people that whinge about the conditions 'You want a better job with better pay? Go learn some skills and get something better.' That's what I did. Unskilled workers will always be taken advantage of. I also make it a point to be polite, respectful and appreciative of the staff when I go out to eat, unless I am getting really bad service (bad service being something being a dick, not someone with little experience doing their best and failing).

Although I would say chefs are grossly underpaid for the work they do. That's what I did (well, did part of an apprenticeship until I got into financial planning) and kitchenhand work before that.

When I realised that being a chef meant doing s____y work with s____y hours for s____y pay, I got the heck out of there. It's a mugs game. Nothing wrong with being a chef and I know a lot of people who genuinely love it, but only a very small number of people last in that profession.

Also, I don't know about this 'made a lot of business owners very wealthy'. Although I don't have the stats to back it up, I would hazard a guess that hospitality has the highest failure rate of any business class.

I agree with you Mark , been there done that too
And yes the hospitality industry has made a lot of people very wealthy and has sent a lot to the wall as well.

Abit more info has surfaced from my buddies new place of employment.
This employer really needs to be dobbed in.

The 2 chefs have not had any holls for well over 12 months. Cos they didnt use their yearly holls they forfeited them and did not get paid for them !! this is the rules according to the employer. The chefs are paid waiter rate of wages.
The tips left by the customers are taken by the employer and not distributed to the employees this is well over $100 per week. Owner needs it to help pay the bills!!!!
Anyone who wants to take a day/night off gets blasted for being sooo selfish and leaving the place short handed.
No one gets public holl penalty rates.
A young staff member is often sent off in quiet times to do shopping in Her car with Her fuel. This shopping often sends her to 4 or 5 different areas. She is not game enough to say anything.
I tell you this bloke is a real pr##k.
I rang the wages line for my young buddy and YES he is entitled to be payed penalty rates on a public holliday. The person l spoke with also said this employer needs to be reported. Maybe my phone call has popped a little red flag up against this bloke.
Anyway you have 6 years to make a claim against anyone and it can be done anonimously. Just keep all times, dates and wage slips.
cheers
yadreamin

Back