Want to invest in the stockmarket

It is all part of learning. The point is.. MQG is still there and I will eventually go up.

Some stock that were there no longer exist too. Also MQG could be heavily exposed to European banks....just a thought!!!)
All people wishing to invest into stocks should have a strategy too like in property investing...
Portecting the capital should be the key!
Also, an investment/trading plan should be adhered to.
Buying the stock is not hard but knowing and having the discipline to stick to the plan is! What stop losses have you in place.
It's not easy since we have no control over stock market!

Thanks to all three of you. Very sound advice indeed.
I sometimes get carried away, thans for bringing me back down to earth.
At the minute I'm spending up on improvements for our new PPOR. Garden improvements for the time being like mulch and plants, and lots of hard work. The original owners had it set out magnificently and then rented it out for two years before we took on the title and it was not looked after within that tenancy so I'm enjoying adding value to it. Theres 2.5 acres to get through and it will make a great improvement once done. And with properties like these, nicely done gardens make a huge difference to price. I have a good buffer sitting in offsets at present so am not too concerned with that. It's always nice to have more though.

Well done but keep on learning about property further!

Hi Investor2009,

I have also been trying to learn more about the shares .
The way I have been trying to choose shares in my limited experience has been more ad-hoc.

For example, a couple of years ago the company that I worked for was taken over by another company. I changed jobs six months after. However it gave me very good exposure to the character and cost saving steps the new management was taking. (as an e.g., they were decommissioning all Microsoft products and switching to open source to save licensing fees!!).
Based on the above I then try to research that company and see if it is a good buy.

Similarly, I try to keep an open eye to all the services/goods that family/friends buy and research those companies and see if they are a worth putting money in.
So far, from what I have experienced it is going ok.

Anyone else tried this and did not work?

It sounds pretty good as long as you have a plan how to protect the capital and know your startegy to exit the market.

Back