Watanobbi, NSW Central Coast

To wash the Central Coast with the "dodgy" sponge is a bit much I feel.
Or just ignorance :)

Thorpey said:
As an aside I did commute to Northshore at times during my stay there and still to this day don't know how folks can do this year in year out...but hey I'm different and from the bush originally and would rather drive an hour with no traffic to work...:p I take my hat off to the commuters.

I drove from sydney south west to the upper central coast 3 days in a row last week. Can't say it tired me out despite the 2 hours each way. The F3 is a breeze, sitting at 120 the whole way makes it feel really fast.
The worst part by far is getting in and out of Sydney, I absolutely hate it. And this wasn't even peak 'hour' (every hour is peak hour in Sydney).
Just one reason why I've moved out of Sydney and will never, ever go back as long as I live. There is a thing called quality of life, and that is the most important thing to me. Sydney to me is just a hell hole, too many people, not enough space and consumerism greed left right and centre. No thanks.
My next house will be at least 2 acres of bushland, neighbours far away and nature all around me. I'm saving fast for that, but for now the central coast is doing me just fine thanks.

I never said the central coast was dodgy. I said the list of suburbs provided were 'pretty dodgy'

I was born on the coast and have relos and friends there. I know it very well and i know with the exception of a handful of nice areas most of the coast is retirees and people on benefits.

Outside of the upmarket areas property prices and demographic is very similar to outer western Sydney.

Nothing snobby about that guys, its reality. People in the areas that aren't on benefits or a pension of some sort are pretty much low wage earners.

There are exceptions of course but a pretty small percentage don't fall into the above categories outside of Terrigal , Wamberal, Forresters, Avoca, Pearl Beach, Matcham, Kilcare etc etc.

Outside of the upmarket areas property prices and demographic is very similar to outer western Sydney.

Nothing snobby about that guys, its reality. People in the areas that aren't on benefits or a pension of some sort are pretty much low wage earners.

Bugger we are living in " outer western sydney " right near Penrith and on 6 figures and that make us low wage earners !!! Must tell hubby to get of his backside and earn some more $$$$ LOL

Also must ask the family that visit our local shops how they ever could ever afford that Audi R8 he drives on his low wage or benefits !

It has nothing to do with how much you earn, but has everything to do with what sort of person you are !

I said there are exceptions and of course there are exceptions everywhere. And an Audi R8 is certainly unusual in the outer western suburbs of Sydney.

tiger,

Why would you prefer to live near poor people? My original post was saying they were dodgy areas in an investing sense. But that usually goes with the demographic as well.

Just thought I would provide you with a link to a property in the outer western suburbs, five minutes from Penrith.

Agreed it may be a tiny bit over priced but when I put in the area to re.com with a min of 1,750,000 there are a few homes out here :eek:.

Maybe we could ring the real estate and tell him he's dreamin :p !!!

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...r=&cc=&c=40715436&s=nsw&snf=rbs&tm=1227736260

Right it's a little chilly today, must get out the uggies and flannie :D:D:D:

Last edited:
You're talking acreage there mate and anyway, i wouldn't really consider Mulgoa an outer western Sydney Suburb.

I was referring to suburbs between say Blacktown & Penrith.

Just thought I would provide you with a link to a property in the outer western suburbs, five minutes from Penrith.

Agreed it may be a tiny bit over priced but when I put in the area to re.com with a min of 1,750,000 there are a few homes out here :eek:.

Maybe we could ring the real estate and tell him he's dreamin :p !!!

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...r=&cc=&c=40715436&s=nsw&snf=rbs&tm=1227736260

Right it's a little chilly today, must get out the uggies and flannie :D:D:D:

The central coast has long periods of no or declining cap growth and now is one of them. Why are you interested in that particular area?
answer:
If land is in limited supply, and its all close to the beach and lakes and if council go ahead with rezoneing and the Warnervale development of commercial, industrial, residential and retail estates, this has got to be good for CG and rental yeilds too In my own opinion.

Polsator - Norah Head is not in the same league as most of the other suburbs you mention. Its more exclusive and expensive. So what is your budget?

Budget is between 200k-250k mark. Hopeing to maybe pickup a renovator near the beach or lake in the earlier mentioned suburbs. I am looking at Western Sydney too. I like the idea of limited land supply up round Toukley area. Have had previous success with investment properties in land restricted areas. (geographically)

Budget is between 200k-250k mark. Hopeing to maybe pickup a renovator near the beach or lake in the earlier mentioned suburbs.

That will easily get you a renovator in Budgewoi, definitely not anything in the 2 areas beginning with Nora..... outside chance in Toukley.

That will easily get you a renovator in Budgewoi, definitely not anything in the 2 areas beginning with Nora..... outside chance in Toukley.

And if you look hard enough you will get a renovator in Killarney Vale..just 2 mins to beach and is on the lake. Major shopping centre next door, schools and sports facilities etc etc etc....

I see this suburb transforming day by day from the fibro bungalows to either duplexes/townhouses or nice brick homes owned by the small business operators/tradies who like to live there no matter what "demographic" one cares to slap on it...;) Plenty of folks knocking down and building new and still surrounded by the fibros.....won't happen overnight, but.......;)

Mate, why the personal stuff. First you refer to me as a snob and then the snide one below. That's beside tiger calling me ignorant.

With all the talk on here lately of the 'getting personal' stuff, i thought we would see less of it.

anyway, I don't 'slap any demographic' on it, it is what it is. And I'm as working class as they come.

Even rode my Triumph to Long Jetty a while back to get a bit of work on my tatts. Had to dodge the junkies and long necks around the tattoo joint & pub ......no dramas there. :D

I see this suburb transforming day by day from the fibro bungalows to either duplexes/townhouses or nice brick homes owned by the small business operators/tradies who like to live there no matter what "demographic" one cares to slap on it...;) Plenty of folks knocking down and building new and still surrounded by the fibros.....won't happen overnight, but.......;)

evand,

it's alright for you to call most of the cenrtal coast 'dodgy' but not alright for me to take offense to that and refer to anyone who claims this as being a snob..? Sorry, that makes me guilty of getting personal, I apologise.

What's personally snide about my last post..? I simply stated the way I see the area panning out and disagree with your dodgy remark. Read into it what you will, but no snide intention at all. Again, sorry.

How about your full definition of 'dodgy' in relation to this thread, then I can fully understand the basis of your input to it. Thanks.

The difference is you are labelling me personally and i'm referring to an area i am very familiar with. Big difference.

I'll say it again. I referred to the list of central coast suburbs posted as 'pretty dodgy'.

I have already posted my definition of dodgy. Meaning not good in an investing sense and that usually correlates with the lower socio economic demographic of most of the central coast.

Property/areas are usually cheap for a reason. I'm sure you know that. Where else in Australia can you buy 3br houses walking distance to a beach for high $200k/low $300k's? An hour or so from Australia's biggest city.

There has to be a reason for that. The same reason why houses are in the same price range in Blacktown/ Mt Druitt - one hour from the same city.

And if i think most of the central coast is dodgy thats my opinion. I cant see the problem with that. I was born on the central coast and know it well. Not as well as i know western Sydney tho.

Ok, i'll finish with this. I have lived in a lot of places and i have never seen an area with more people on benefits, drugs, teenage mums, drinking, low income, retirees, rental assistance....etc

Of course there are exceptions (on the coast as i've posted previously. But you wont find many areas with such large quantities of the above.

I know for a fact a lot of people on the coast like to ignore this 'dodgy' element as it would devalue the area they choose to live in. That's fair enough.

I don't know your life history, or where you've lived so you might not agree. That's your prerogative.

evand,

it's alright for you to call most of the cenrtal coast 'dodgy' but not alright for me to take offense to that and refer to anyone who claims this as being a snob..? Sorry, that makes me guilty of getting personal, I apologise.

What's personally snide about my last post..? I simply stated the way I see the area panning out and disagree with your dodgy remark. Read into it what you will, but no snide intention at all. Again, sorry.

How about your full definition of 'dodgy' in relation to this thread, then I can fully understand the basis of your input to it. Thanks.

I have been very familiar with the Central Coast most of my life and lived there and worked all the suburbs full time from '89 -'04 and I totally disagree with you. I don't recall abnormallyhigh levels of the social problems you refer to especially having frequented and serviced all areas.

And yes my perogative just as it's yours.

Have a great day!:)

Well I agree with evand. He is simply pointing out that it aint the flashy part of the world and thats simply a fact. I live up at Gwandalan (lake macquarie) which is certainly not flashy either and very similar to the areas mentioned allready. We simply chose to buy here instead of renting when we 1st moved up from sydney. WIll we be staying here? Heck no. Does that make me a snob, I would hope not, just like somewhere nicer to bring my family up thats all. I cant see how having some standards makes anyone a snob. Sorry but as mentioned if you are buying a 3bed house 5minutes from some of the best ocean beaches and lakes in Oz and its around the $250-$300k mark then lets be honest, there is a reason. evand isnt hammering anyone, just pointing out a few facts thats all.

Now let me get back to RE.com and find that house in caves beach I was looking for ;)

Cheers Jas!

My wife has worked as a literacy consultant and special needs teacher on the coast and has access to statistics through the department office. They support my view with numbers.

Also, if i have time i will search the ABS site for income, benefit and literacy levels etc. Tho i can never find a thing on there when i'm looking for something i'll give it a try.

We must be talking about a different central coast Thorpey. :D

By the way, i was discussing this thread with someone at a barbie yesterday and i mentioned that i was called ignorant.

The persons view was that the central coast is stuck in an ignorant time warp of white Australia from the past, which made me laugh but is sort of true.

Hr was right in that when he goes in a deli on the coast it reminds him of a deli of 40 years ago with devon & corned beef and they think mozzarella is pretty exotic.

It is largely a very high percentage Anglo population, low income area. Very little multi culturism on the coast and a very narrow minded and low tolerance view of other races and lifestyles.

---------------------------------

A later thought: I've known people that have moved to the central coast and have packed up and left and moved back to their.....ummm...more enlightened area they came from within one year as they couldn't stand it.

I've also known people that have moved to the coast, they they thought they were in heaven and absolutely loved it, even in the less desirable areas.

So, i suppose its all a matter of perspective and you will see in it what you are as a person and what your past circumstances have been.

But from an investing sense, not that flash imho.

Last edited:

I inspected quite a few run down homes under 250k in Noraville and Toukley when I was looking several months ago. There's heaps of 2 bedroom fibro beach shacks in those suburbs, would have bought one myself if i was into that sort of thing.

There ya go Tiger....I've given you my POV on the Coast and so has evand....from an investing point of view I am having success on the Central Coast....the one between Woy Woy and Gwandalan and specifically in Killarney vale, Tumbi and Wamberal, a cross section suburbs.

Do your DD, study the market and good luck.!:)

I inspected quite a few run down homes under 250k in Noraville and Toukley when I was looking several months ago. There's heaps of 2 bedroom fibro beach shacks in those suburbs, would have bought one myself if i was into that sort of thing.

Well tiger,

I stand corrected. I did not believe you at first but a quick look on re.com and I'm happy to say I was wrong. That's what I get for stareing at median prices all day. The median of course is much higher but I'd forgotten that 1/2 sell below the median price. Thanks for that.

I'm really past trying to correct the thinking (or lack of it) that evand seems to sprout from time to time.....he's entitled to his opinion of course.....maybe he had an unhappy childhood? No evand, I'm not getting personal - just a bit over it. :)

If that aint getting personal, what is? And no, i had a great childhood, thanks.

What i think you must be over is the truth mate. Some people dont like the truth wehn it includes a few negatives but its never bothered me.

Can you actually point out where i'm wrong or telling porkies or whatever? Over to you.

By the way...here's another observation. I know for a fact that people who live in the more desirabe areas of the coast (i have posted previously) are in denial or just ignore the less desirable parts. I have seen that so many times its not funny. Maybe you guys fall into that category.

I'm really past trying to correct the thinking (or lack of it) that evand seems to sprout from time to time.....he's entitled to his opinion of course.....maybe he had an unhappy childhood? No evand, I'm not getting personal - just a bit over it. :)

Back