water pooling after paving!!

I recently paved my backyard and noticed that water is pooling on the corners, opposite side of the house.

I did the paving myself and ensured that it was sloping outside of the house, which I can confirm it's working fine! The problem is that the flat next to my townhouse (left and right) as well as the front townhouse are actually higher than my place. So, even though the water runs towards the edge, it can't go anywhere because everywhere else is higher.

The water is absorbed very well after it stops raining. The problem is that if it keeps raining hard for a long period of time, water may get close to my entrance. It may be difficult but if it rains a lot it may happen.

I have about 15 cm of space empty (after the paving edges. I used cement so the pavers don't shift) where no pavers were laid and there's current soil in there. I was thinking of digging enough so it gives more space for water to build up there, and perhaps putting some gravel to help absorb the water. I could even put a small pipe or something, but since the water can't go anywhere, I don't see the point.

any ideas?

Any photo's, plan ? would make it a bit easier.

Bit late now I guess but can you put a grate in where it is pooling and connect to your existing stormwater system?

Brian

Drainage is the key to all building/landscaping works.

The removal of water is paramount.

A drain should be incorporated into your paving.

Even with more soil/gravel - unless the excess water (once the soil/gravel is saturated) has somewhere to go, it will pool.

We've had this a couple of times with different properties. Extra soakage pits just don't work after 2-3 days of continuous rain as they are full already.

Is there a stormwater drain or something it can run off into? Or any space down one side of the townhouse - or off the back of the property - that it can go to?

Last edited:
You should have taken the fall of the whole block into account, not just the part around your place. Ahhhh......DIYers......you need some drainage incorporated into it.

You should have taken the fall of the whole block into account, not just the part around your place. Ahhhh......DIYers......you need some drainage incorporated into it.

Evans right, the whole block and it's aspect needs to be assesed then make the decision to pave after allowing for drainage.

If you get stuck PM me...I'm a paver/landscape contractor.

I know I know :(. I investigated, measured, downloaded instructions, etc; but obviously I missed this (first time I lift a spade or a whellbarrow, so be nice :)). I'd read everywhere about the importance of sloping out and I made sure that was the case.

The area had grass before and there wasn't any drainage, so I guess the soil absorbed everything when it rained. But a new dog, grass, and lots of rain is not a good combination.

I couldn't have it levelled with the neighbours because the beginning of the paving is aligned with the cement block (see attached picture). So that was basically the only height I could have.

I didn't see any stormwater drain. see photos.

Attachments

• paver2.jpg
    paver2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 164
  • paver3.jpg
    paver3.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 156
If there is no existing drain then you need to dig one in and get it out to the street or at least to a drain somewhere "downstream" from the paving level.

Usually this is far easier to do at the start then you slope your paving to the drain.

Hard to tell anything from the photos.....

Very hard to tell from picture.. but a small retaining wall looks to have been required?
and then drainage (slotted ag and screening) around outside of paving would remove any water issues! thats if you fall it correctly! :)

Just thought I update this thread, and wanted to thank Brian (NBS) for his support and help during my journey.

Brian went to the extend of providing me diagrams, explanations, etc.

This is what I did:

1) Had to lift all the pavers as they had to be higher than the channel
2) installed a drain, like this one (suggested by Brian, easy to handle):
http://www.reln.com.au/Products/Surface_Water_Drainage/Storm_Drain
3) Installed a water pit
4) connected the pit to the storm water drain. For this task I engaged a plumber, I was enthusiastic to get this done myself, but decided to leave it to professionals.
5) relayed all pavers again, with proper water flow towards the channel.

Hosed it the other day and it works like magic, water flows to the pit :-D

Thanks Brian, now I'm still thinking about the Gabion cages. Will probably tackle it next year. Too tired after all this work myself ;)

Back