We will have a property crash, but this isn’t it! (M. Yardney)

16 is 60% higher than 10, but in terms of the base, it is only .6% higher.

Consider this semi-hypothetical. NZ's population is around 4 million, Australia's 20 million. Australia's 5 times bigger than NZ.

The stated population increases would give Australia a population of 20.32 million and NZ a population of 4.04 million. This would mean Australia's population is now 5.02 times greater than NZ. A rate of change (Australia's population growing wrt NZ's population growth) of 0.3%. Not 60%. It tends to 0.6% as time goes to infinity.

We're comparing population growth RATES. Not absolute increase in total population. You do understand what RATE means, right? Australia's population growth RATE is currently 60% higher than New Zealand's population growth RATE. If you take NZ's population growth rate of 1% and multiply it by 1.6 (i.e. a 60% increase) you will get Australia's population growth rate of 1.6%.

As time goes to infinity? Lets stick to what is happening in the immediate future...

It doesn't suggest that at all. Ahead on loan repayments in 2007, while now we are seeing drops in consumer spending, a slowdown in the housing figures, and a number of people choosing to rent or stay with family in preference to buying. This suggests that housing is historically unaffordable.

House prices have become more expensive, on a continual basis for the past 50 years. And they will be even more expensive in the future. Affordability on the other hand is a result of not just price but also interest rates, disposable income, and tax incentives.

We're having historical highs for defaults, and yet you believe house prices can go higher? If more people than ever before are struggling with a mortgage, then it doesn't seem likely that another boom is on the way.

Of course house prices can go higher. In fact, they are going higher in many places right now. Also remember that houses will suddenly become 30% 'more affordable' if mortgage rates drop from 9% to 6%.

By the way, I don't think another boom is on the way for a few years.

Shadow.

We're comparing population growth RATES. Not absolute increase in total population. You do understand what RATE means, right? Australia's population growth RATE is currently 60% higher than New Zealand's population growth RATE.

No, you cannot compare growth rates like that.

If I have two kids, one a metre tall and a young teen, the other 50cm tall and a toddler. The teen's hit a growth spurt and growing at 20% per year, and the toddler's growing at 10% per year, how much faster has the teen grown than the toddler?

Twice as fast? No. The teen is now 1.2 m tall and the toddler is now 55cm. So instead of being twice as tall he is 2.18 times as tall. Relative to the toddler, his growth rate was ((2.18/2)^1/2 - 1) * 100 = 9.1% faster.

Not 100% faster.

Of course they don't, Dazz.

They're not smart enough to own property, and provide a long term roof over their heads for themselves and their family.

Statistics don't matter to me - what matters is putting a roof over my head, for me and my family. You CAN use statistics to back any position you care to take. I once won a university debating challenge - my position was that the Earth was the centre of the Universe, and that the Sun revolved around the Earth. Our team won.

For peace of mind, I will pay MORE then what I can afford for my primary residence. My family is worth it. If I need more money, I will find more money.

My views are clearly in line with the majority of Australian's.

No, you cannot compare growth rates like that.

If I have two kids, one a metre tall and a young teen, the other 50cm tall and a toddler. The teen's hit a growth spurt and growing at 20% per year, and the toddler's growing at 10% per year, how much faster has the teen grown than the toddler?

Twice as fast? No. The teen is now 1.2 m tall and the toddler is now 55cm. So instead of being twice as tall he is 2.18 times as tall. Relative to the toddler, his growth rate was ((2.18/2)^1/2 - 1) * 100 = 9.1% faster.

Not 100% faster.

Of course it's twice as fast. Put it this way, a bank charging you 10% interest is charging you twice as much as a bank charging you 5% interest, the difference you pay is double, not 5%! An investment returning 20% per year is performing twice as well as one returning 10%, the difference in the return on your investment is double, not 10%. Can you at least see that?

KB

I once won a university debating challenge - my position was that the Earth was the centre of the Universe, and that the Sun revolved around the Earth. Our team won.

What??? It doesn't.........:eek:

ciao

Nor

Do any of you guys own any property ??

Probably not.

See; I assumed on this forum you had two separate groups;

1. The experienced and successful investors who gave their opinions/advice on how one could make money out of property, and looked forward to meaningful discussion of same and a few light-hearted slang-offs.

2. The inexperienced newbies who own 0 properties, who sat and listened intently, pencils at the ready to take notes, and asked questions to learn - with an air of eagerness, respect and thankfulness to towards the esteemed group 1. Yay, verily for group 1 doth havest thine Holy Grail.

BUT...

Group 2. has morphed into the group with no property, no pencils and paper for note taking, but a slide rule and spreadsheet, and all the answers - that being we are all evil, greedy specufestors who will be 50% broke this time next week.

Group 1. is leaving the building in droves with their bat and ball.

Seriously, this forum has gone to ****.

But, it's quite hilarious! It shows that even a simple interpretation of stats can produce such diverse conclusions, implying subjective factors invovled, otherwise if all factors were known, competent analysts should come up with the same answer. :D

We're still here...

Don't worry LA - we're still here (although I am probably not a fully fledged Group 1 yet - but on my way).

The rest of us are looking on with great amusement, shrug, and go and get on with doing another deal! It's really quite hilarious!

I don't really know exactly when property will rise again, but I don't know any other really good way of making money besides my small developments and property holdings, so I guess I'll just keep on doing that.

Until Rogue and the other D & Gs can show me a better way of making money (other than just parking it is cash) than the 20% I'm making on my dual occ, then I'll keep plodding along.....and eventually I'll be rich rather than having a PhD in Economics.

I wonder what Jan thinks of all this theorising.....probably just shrugs her shoulders and and goes and buys another 1 or 2.......

Of course it's twice as fast. Put it this way, a bank charging you 10% interest is charging you twice as much as a bank charging you 5% interest, the difference you pay is double, not 5%! An investment returning 20% per year is performing twice as well as one returning 10%, the difference in the return on your investment is double, not 10%. Can you at least see that?

The number is double, but the rate of change isn't.

If Australia's population is 20 million and New Zealand's is 4 million, then a population increase in Australia is 320,000 people and New Zealand 40,000. Do we say Australia is growing 800% faster that New Zealand? No.

Group 1. is leaving the building in droves with their bat and ball.

It doesn't have to be this way. As the result of this argument won't be known until it is too late to do anything about it I reckon Group One don't spend too much time worrying about such things and concentrate on other threads which actually help them and others increase their level of control over their individual wealth outcomes. Instead of trying to guess long term outcomes that are inherently unknown and can't be controlled anyway.

To me this is all about mindset. You have Group One and other positive people who generally speaking can see money and opportunity all around them, from the plasma TVs everyone seems to have to the lattes to the new cars that seem to be everywhere and the other "must haves" that are all just doodads. Not to mention the fact that a lot of people seem to find the money somehow for some pretty expensive PPORs.

Then there's the D&Gers who just see scarcity, suffering, financial hardship and people who don't really earn their money because "they don't produce anything". They really see being wealthy as an inherently "unfair" position that will all end in tears eventually due to the natural order of things, or some other skewed concept of "justice".

And then there's everyone in between to varying degrees.

In reality it's all about risk and reward. If you're not prepared to take the risk you won't get the reward, which is a risk of lost opportunity in itself at the very least. If you are prepared to take the risk, you have to have your eyes open to the worst case scenario.

For me, this forum is (or should be?) for those who are prepared to take the risk or at least want to take the risk of property investment at some point in the near future. It should not be a platform to convince society of the evils of property investing, or the unproductive nature of acquiring existing assets or anything else. That's when this debate all gets tiresome and ultimately pointless, at least to me. I don't mind people pointing out potential downside in a course of action but it would be great if the focus could be on what can be actively done to convert that downside into upside. Just saying "go to cash" isn't a property investment strategy - sorry but that's just not good enough. If that's all you've got to say then go create a "term deposit" forum and discuss your innovative wealth creation strategies over there.

If we could focus more on what we can control to create long term wealth out of property, I'm sure we'll get those group ones back...

The number is double, but the rate of change isn't.

If Australia's population is 20 million and New Zealand's is 4 million, then a population increase in Australia is 320,000 people and New Zealand 40,000. Do we say Australia is growing 800% faster that New Zealand? No.

If NZ population was also 20million to start with and the absolute growth numbers is as above, I'll say 8x times their rate, which is 700% faster. Considering NZ started off at one fifth the base, 800%/5, which is 160%, or 60% faster. :)

The key word is we are comparing difference in speed/motion/rate of the growth, not the growth itself. This is my last post to this % discussions, it's getting off topic and if you can't see that there is no point in continuing further. C Ya.

Last edited:
Group 2. has morphed into the group with no property, no pencils and paper for note taking, but a slide rule and spreadsheet, and all the answers - that being we are all evil, greedy specufestors who will be 50% broke this time next week.

If it helps, this Group 2 newbie with 0 properties went and bought a property. And has half the deposit for #2 ready to go now.

So there are still positives to be found everywhere on SS - but I think people who are actually out there doing it are less likely to spend hours debating the fine points of macroeconomic theory.

If it helps, this Group 2 newbie with 0 properties went and bought a property. And has half the deposit for #2 ready to go now.

So there are still positives to be found everywhere on SS - but I think people who are actually out there doing it are less likely to spend hours debating the fine points of macroeconomic theory.

Ah...good on you Murtagh!

Restored my faith in humanity again.

It doesn't have to be this way. As the result of this argument won't be known until it is too late to do anything about it I reckon Group One don't spend too much time worrying about such things and concentrate on other threads which actually help them and others increase their level of control over their individual wealth outcomes. Instead of trying to guess long term outcomes that are inherently unknown and can't be controlled anyway.

To me this is all about mindset. You have Group One and other positive people who generally speaking can see money and opportunity all around them, from the plasma TVs everyone seems to have to the lattes to the new cars that seem to be everywhere and the other "must haves" that are all just doodads. Not to mention the fact that a lot of people seem to find the money somehow for some pretty expensive PPORs.

Then there's the D&Gers who just see scarcity, suffering, financial hardship and people who don't really earn their money because "they don't produce anything". They really see being wealthy as an inherently "unfair" position that will all end in tears eventually due to the natural order of things, or some other skewed concept of "justice".

And then there's everyone in between to varying degrees.

In reality it's all about risk and reward. If you're not prepared to take the risk you won't get the reward, which is a risk of lost opportunity in itself at the very least. If you are prepared to take the risk, you have to have your eyes open to the worst case scenario.

For me, this forum is (or should be?) for those who are prepared to take the risk or at least want to take the risk of property investment at some point in the near future. It should not be a platform to convince society of the evils of property investing, or the unproductive nature of acquiring existing assets or anything else. That's when this debate all gets tiresome and ultimately pointless, at least to me. I don't mind people pointing out potential downside in a course of action but it would be great if the focus could be on what can be actively done to convert that downside into upside. Just saying "go to cash" isn't a property investment strategy - sorry but that's just not good enough. If that's all you've got to say then go create a "term deposit" forum and discuss your innovative wealth creation strategies over there.

If we could focus more on what we can control to create long term wealth out of property, I'm sure we'll get those group ones back...

Great post!

And, I'm p!$$ing myself laughing at the highlighted bit.

Well done.

The problem with the Demographia survey, is that it only compares Australia with five other countries, yet claims to be a 'global' survey. It conveniently ignores all the countries in the world with much higher house prices than Australia. Here are some alternative studies...

GlobalProperty Most Expensive Cities 2008 (apartment price per sqm):
http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/investm...-cities-in-2008
Sydney - Number 13: US$7,085 per sqm

Mercer Most Expensive Cities (cost of living, including housing)
http://www.mercer.com/costofliving
Sydney - Number 21

CityMayors Expensive Cities
http://www.citymayors.com/economics/expensive_cities2.html
Sydney - Number 24

Knight Frank Survey (prime residential property)
http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnew..._10010019.shtml
Sydney - Number 8: EU$13,100 per sqm

Overseas Property Mall Survey
http://www.overseaspropertymall.com/proper...tional-markets/
Average home values for select 2,200 square foot single-family dwellings with four bedrooms...
Tokyo - $785,818
Sydney - $683,109

Aneki (most expensive countries to live in)
http://www.aneki.com/expensive.html
Australia - Not shown in the top 20

Most expensive countries in the world
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1...the.html?page=2
Australia - Not in the list

Most expensive rental markets
http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/11/properties-world-rent-forbeslife-cx_mw_0212realestate.html
Australia - Not in the list

Shadow.

hello,

fantastic post shadow, this place is still the lucky country big time

friends bought in paris (Marais area) a few years ago, they got 21sqM for 385k aussie, no parking, syd or any other capital city is nothing like this

they rent out for holiday, go there couple of times a year and plan to head to live permanent in 5yrs

aus still kills it though

thanks
myla

Until Rogue and the other D & Gs can show me a better way of making money (other than just parking it is cash) than the 20% I'm making on my dual occ, then I'll keep plodding along.....and eventually I'll be rich rather than having a PhD in Economics.

Hey Land
I don't consider myself a D&G'r just because i happen to weigh up the market and form and opinion about the direction it's heading.
I don't think the sky is going to fall in. I simply believe that property prices are primed for a substantial fall. Nothing new. Nothing that hasn't happened before.
As an investor, is it not the smart thing to do to research your chosen market well before diving in? I mean, I know barely anything about the share market, so i wouldn't just go and start buying random shares without deciding which companies i think are going to perform well in the future would I?

As someone interested in long term investment strategies, if i was ready to buy and found a property where the numbers stacked up, why wouldn't i buy?

I appreciate YOUR right to YOUR opinion on the market. I am well aware i have no chance of changing people such as Shadow's minds about where THEY think the market is heading.
All i'm doing is pointing out where certain aspects of some people's theories are flawed in order to provide an alternative viewpoint.
I'm not sitting around waiting for a crash so i can pick up a bargain. I am waiting to secure a much bigger deposit (50%) because my beliefs are that the economy is unstable and i want to protect myself enough from a crisis such as illness, job loss etc.... and because i want to breed. :p
If i felt the market was more stable and homes prices represented value, i might be confident with a 10% deposit.

I see 19 y/o's on this forum with NO deposit for a home, eager and wanting to build an instant portfolio or properties and retire by the time they are 30y/o. That was me 10 years ago... believe me. No chance in hell i'd have such high expectations in this time of uncertainty.

Just trying to point out the risks.

Cheers
Rogue

I see 19 y/o's on this forum with NO deposit for a home, eager and wanting to build an instant portfolio or properties and retire by the time they are 30y/o. That was me 10 years ago... believe me. No chance in hell i'd have such high expectations in this time of uncertainty.

things plodding along.

Cheers
Rogue

hello,

what uncertainty? man things are rolling on, people still shop, drive, talk, play sport, catch public transport, have a bbQ, go to the disco, drink cocktail, pop flippers etc etc etc (and all the other things)

not much is really different

thanks
myla

Back