What a cheek!

We had a ppr we have rented out on the Gold Coast and the moment the council was notified they sent us a request for more rates. You think they could wait until the next rate period. But thats not my gripe. I have just received in the mail a letter saying they are "undertaking routine assessments of rental accommodation and this is our opportunity to request an internal assessment of our accommodation. All the tenants have been written to directly to offer this assessment as well." What a cheek, what do we have a re for. I think the extra rates are going to pay for this unneeded and invasive service. They should mind their own business!

What legal right have they to enter your property?

I would suspect, none.

Why should it concern them who lives in an appartment and what arrangements there are between owners and tenants????

I'd tell them thanks, but no thanks.

What are they trying to find????

Ive been getting these letters from GCCC for years and throw them in the bin. Tell your tenants to do the same. My PM says to ignore them.

We had a ppr we have rented out on the Gold Coast and the moment the council was notified they sent us a request for more rates. You think they could wait until the next rate period. But thats not my gripe. I have just received in the mail a letter saying they are "undertaking routine assessments of rental accommodation and this is our opportunity to request an internal assessment of our accommodation. All the tenants have been written to directly to offer this assessment as well." What a cheek, what do we have a re for. I think the extra rates are going to pay for this unneeded and invasive service. They should mind their own business!

Why would you need to notify the council that you are renting out your property?

Also why do you need to pay more rates?

Beyond that I would be telling them to get!!!

Cheers

We certainly didnt tell them we were renting out our property, wouldnt have even thought of it. I can only assume the real estate agents are bound by some sort of regulation to report it.

What legal right have they to enter your property?

....dunno Hotrod....I think plenty.

We have Council inspectors wandering all over our industrial zoned properties whenever they damn please.

The first I am told of this is when I get a letter from one of their inspectors saying "last week when I was on your property I noticed...."

It always bugs me knowing that they simply wander on without my prior approval.

As for retail....anyone at any time can wander on there. You have no control whatsoever.

They certainly do have power to inspect a property, particularly if they suspect violations of building or planning regulations. They are supposed to have sufficient grounds to do so and can't do it willy-nilly.

We have Council inspectors wandering all over our industrial zoned properties whenever they damn please.

The first I am told of this is when I get a letter from one of their inspectors saying "last week when I was on your property I noticed...."

As for retail....anyone at any time can wander on there. You have no control whatsoever.

Don't know about that- may be hidden in Council by laws. You want to stop them? Tell them in writing (and the OHS department and the union for good measure)that the properties may have hazards and you will not be responsible if they injure themselves whilst on there without being accompanied by one of your representatives ( only available after 5pm). Then make them sign a waiver of liability form before entering for injuries incurred. They may also need to get the tenant's written consent as well prior to approaching you.

Hours of fun.

No doubt cu....but I have a life.

I can see to play lawyers games, one needs to get down in the trough with them.

CP would have those issues. Resi would be a bit easier to control I would have thought.

But I like CU's approach.

No council in a blue fit would sign all those waivers etc.

GCCC wrote to me for years asking if my property was an IP. I never responded, and never paid increased rates.
BTW a large number of QLD councils charge additional fees added to the rates for IP's. Apparently their waste is harder to deal with.
Logan council decided that anyone with a P.O. Box was obviously not in a PPOR and just added the increase without consultation. Created quite a bit of rate payers backlash.
A.

Council does not have to write to the owner to ask if it is an IP. They can tell at settlement when our solicitor advises them of the new owner who has a different postal address from the property.

that would only apply if a property was purchased as an investment, not if an owner lived at the property for a few years and then moved out and rented the property

Council does not have to write to the owner to ask if it is an IP. They can tell at settlement when our solicitor advises them of the new owner who has a different postal address from the property.

When you haven't settled your address is your current residential address not the new property as you haven't got possession yet.

They certainly do have power to inspect a property, particularly if they suspect violations of building or planning regulations. They are supposed to have sufficient grounds to do so and can't do it willy-nilly.

But this has nothing to do with building regulations.

Yep, I just love paying the extra rates on my IPs so that Allan bl**dy Sutherland can go and rub shoulders with Barry Gibb! P*sses me of every quarter.:mad:

Back