What about Harbour One Melbourne?

I checked out a few apartments this morning ,and spoke to a few agents,

2 of them said the same thing about Lorimer St Side and the Harbour side of properties which is/was totally the opposite of my opinions.

I assumed that the harbour side as better being right above the restuarants, access to the shopping/groceries
while on the other hand lorimer st only had about 3-4 cafes/restaurants in total and nowhere near coles/woolworths and basically everytime you went out for dinner you'd have to drive to the city or walk 20 mins to the other side.

the agents said that the build quality and size for lorimer sts were generally bigger and that people preferred the lorimer side because it was more quieter and felt more like community............

I would have thought one of the main points in living in the docklands was to be in the centre of busyness!

I checked out a few apartments this morning ,and spoke to a few agents,

2 of them said the same thing about Lorimer St Side and the Harbour side of properties which is/was totally the opposite of my opinions.

I assumed that the harbour side as better being right above the restuarants, access to the shopping/groceries
while on the other hand lorimer st only had about 3-4 cafes/restaurants in total and nowhere near coles/woolworths and basically everytime you went out for dinner you'd have to drive to the city or walk 20 mins to the other side.

the agents said that the build quality and size for lorimer sts were generally bigger and that people preferred the lorimer side because it was more quieter and felt more like community............

I would have thought one of the main points in living in the docklands was to be in the centre of busyness!

Docklands is for people who want to be close to the city ( tram ride/car required) but have their quiet time as well.
If you want to be walking distance to most things go for southbank. Depends on personal preference. I dont prefer docklands because it does require transportation to get to the city for jobs ( although they have a few themselves)- hence transportation costs- especially car and parking costs.

In southbank, i reckon its close enough to walk to work in the CBD, and have the car for weekends.

But its all dependant on personal preference...you decide...

Docklands is for people who want to be close to the city ( tram ride/car required) but have their quiet time as well.
If you want to be walking distance to most things go for southbank. Depends on personal preference. I dont prefer docklands because it does require transportation to get to the city for jobs ( although they have a few themselves)- hence transportation costs- especially car and parking costs.

In southbank, i reckon its close enough to walk to work in the CBD, and have the car for weekends.

But its all dependant on personal preference...you decide...

No - Docklands is for people who got sucked in 10 years ago and paid too much money.

The Lorimer apartments are so close to Southbank yet not close to the noisy spots. Also not too close to the stadium, (not everyone is a footy nut).

It's still walking distance to the city itself. The previous tenant used to walk to the Vic Markets once or twice a week, load up the shopping jeep and stroll back.

I think as long as the apartment has at least one allocated car space, it really is not that hard to imagine people being content to live there.

As for groceries, I would be ordering online if I were the type to be able to live in Docklands (ie not a mum to 2 small kids). Or I'd dust off the shopping jeep. And going out to dinner? Well maybe a taxi if the walks too much? I'd want a drink or two so I'd avoid taking a car anyway. But that's just me ofcourse.

Wunderbar, you really seem upset about Docklands.

ok, so does that mean that 2 identical apartments, one in lorimer st and one on the harbour side, the lorimer st one would be more desirable and hence more expensive?

I dunno....

I find the view from lorimer ,youve only got a small bit of water and you have that massive ANZ building in front of you

while the harbour side , you ve got almost 360deg in water and only the central pier in your way!

to me there is no point in living in docklands if your view from your lounge/balcony is a concrete wall

Property Meister, you seem to almost be considering buying into Docklands :confused: You used to really dislike the place, are you warming to the idea now??

Are you thinking of living there or for an IP?

Perhaps the views from the harbour side are better? Not sure, we just preferred the quality of Yarra's Edge buildings and actually ended up with an IP that is on the other side of the building anyway. It's in Tower 1 though so you get a little of the Yarra, a little of the city, a little of the freeway and out over Port Phillip Bay. (Its on level 25).

Our biggest thing was that it didn't look straight at another building which a lot in City Road etc seem to do.

Property Meister, you seem to almost be considering buying into Docklands :confused: You used to really dislike the place, are you warming to the idea now??

Are you thinking of living there or for an IP?

Perhaps the views from the harbour side are better? Not sure, we just preferred the quality of Yarra's Edge buildings and actually ended up with an IP that is on the other side of the building anyway. It's in Tower 1 though so you get a little of the Yarra, a little of the city, a little of the freeway and out over Port Phillip Bay. (Its on level 25).

Our biggest thing was that it didn't look straight at another building which a lot in City Road etc seem to do.

hi casserole,

actually my girlfriend is gaga over her girlfriend who apparently lives on lorimer st, so she is considering, and no we are definitely not moving in together!

admittedly, I do like them, but for the price, certainly not, anything with decent views 2bdr+ you are looking at $850+ or even $1m plus

admittedly, ive been looking at them from a business perspective in the last 12 months, and that has been a big turn off, business is quite tough there, so I have been told,

from an investment perspective, unless you get a bargain Id say its a no go for a long time or indefinitely! i would only live there if I got 20-25% off asking prices now!

Those two look good dotworx but the second is now "under offer" so looks to have been snapped up! A good tip though is to make a friend of Karl (the agent), hes a good bloke who helped us out a lot ;).

PM, Good to see that you are a big softy and want to keep the ladies happy. Our IP is only 1 bedroom as I do agree the 2 bedroom apartments probably wouldn't make the greatest investment. But to live in as PPOR, well I would be pleased as punch if I could have afforded one like dotworx posted if I was your girlfriend. The gym, the pool, the handy little milkbar, the Mad Duck (think that's its name)! And then you get the views etc.

Over the school holidays I will visit Docklands again and see what the 'vibe' feels like now. I'm hoping it's getting more colour and 'flavour' to it.

Those two look good dotworx but the second is now "under offer" so looks to have been snapped up! A good tip though is to make a friend of Karl (the agent), hes a good bloke who helped us out a lot ;).

PM, Good to see that you are a big softy and want to keep the ladies happy. Our IP is only 1 bedroom as I do agree the 2 bedroom apartments probably wouldn't make the greatest investment. But to live in as PPOR, well I would be pleased as punch if I could have afforded one like dotworx posted if I was your girlfriend. The gym, the pool, the handy little milkbar, the Mad Duck (think that's its name)! And then you get the views etc.

Over the school holidays I will visit Docklands again and see what the 'vibe' feels like now. I'm hoping it's getting more colour and 'flavour' to it.

yes, I met Karl, he seemed very nice, didn't do the pushy bullcrap sales tactics like, "oh we've got an offer for 20% more of the asking price so you better hurry"

Ive never looked at 1bdr but I would have thought it may have been too expensive per room? eg $400 per week as opposed to $700 per week for 2 bdr

this one seems alright as well
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-vic-docklands-107297949

and yes, ive found out the hard way in keepin the ladies happy, frankly, I just let them do whatever they want, but let them know what I think "eg docklands is great, I love it, however not for that price, $800-$1m for a 2bdr is ludicrous, id prefer freshwater place or eureka if I had the choice, but still id rather buy $500k x 2 in the suburbs!

This is one awesome apartment i'd like to have but can't afford...lol
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-vic-docklands-107007464

Yes, awesome apt and has an equally jaw dropping price tag. How much capital gain can this have with no land? How many people can afford to rent this out?

Unless melbourne becomes like NYC ( and i doubt), then id stick to about 650-750k range for apartments in the city (with i think are a good buy for 650-750k). If you are looking to spend more, go for something with land.

But hey...just my 2c worth.

Yes, awesome apt and has an equally jaw dropping price tag. How much capital gain can this have with no land? How many people can afford to rent this out?

Unless melbourne becomes like NYC ( and i doubt), then id stick to about 650-750k range for apartments in the city (with i think are a good buy for 650-750k). If you are looking to spend more, go for something with land.

But hey...just my 2c worth.

this one was discussed a few pages back,

I personally had the opinion it was overpriced, as there was one in harbourisde which was something like 400sqm, across 2 levels and had its own indoor terrace instead of a balcony. and the asking price was the same

Wow the prices for 2 bedroom do seem to be big numbers but I'm used to looking at the 1 bedrooms I guess!

I really prefer the Towers 1 and 2, particularly Tower 1 due to it being the first built I feel the developers put the effort in IYKWIM? Things like our 1 bedder has a seperate laundry room and a double sink. Its only 1 bed but the room accommodates a mini office area, so you can gaze at the view and work on a computer. Even the toilet has a great view. Sure, not everyone wants these things but it just makes it all the easier to rent out.

Also since the pool and gym are in Tower 1, it's handy if you are closer.

Having said all that, you are probably going to get something nice in Tower 5 as it overlooks the park and is definately in the 'quiet' end.

I'm glad you like Karl too PM, I got the same approach from him as you obviously have and it made a pleasant surprise from some of the other agents that work the area. He seems pretty genuine, one of the good guys.

Maybe if things are in a hurry, your girlfriend could rent for awhile and try out the tower shes keen on? Or is she keen to jump in the market right now?

Maybe a bit on the small side and a bit low down I guess but it looks good to me. I think the lower end of the estimate is a fair price but I haven't really paid much attention to the 2 bedders.

Just noticed it's only got one bathroom but it depends who's going to be living in it whether that's a problem or not.

At least it's the right side of the building. The apartments on the other side of 60 Lorimer are terrible with the road noise.

Will watch with interest...

Maybe a bit on the small side and a bit low down I guess but it looks good to me.

its interesting, ive had a looks at a few of them, and I cant get my head around why but Im starting to prefer lower floor ones in docklands on the lorimer st side , its strange!!! I usually am a sucker for high floors such as eureka,

I went to party a few years ago on the 74th floor or something, and it was amazing

Well I agree actually, the low down ones on that side are really nice as they have the water and the tree tops (bit of greenery) and still a bit of a view. We looked at a one bedder a loooong time ago that was pretty low in 60 Lorimer and were impressed. Some people aren't good with heights so it would appeal to them too. Hmm, you might have a bit of competition for this one, after all...

74th floor?? :eek:

Back