What about this!!!!

One of my IP's is in a small block of units with my unit and carport on the end. The house behind the units put up and installed a new rendered fence (they paid for it) along the boundary as they did a complete Reno and the boundary fence was only average, so far so good. Driving past the other day I noticed they put a gate in the fence down my end enabling access to our common land near my carport from their backyard!! I attended a strata meeting with the other owners who are owner occupiers who were a little concerned about privacy/security and they were not consulted about the gate as well but I think wanted to let it slide because they the neighbors are nice people and were told the gate would only be used in emergencies and when tradesmen needed access as they built boundary to boundary!! I am not so understanding as I think it is just rude and they are taking advantage of the good nature of the unit holders. So, I visited the neighbors and wanted to see what they were thinking. Well they thought it was govt land and anyway they will only use it when needed and when they put in a pool so tradesmen can come and go easily.At this stage I mentioned that they would be trespassing and I expect them to remove the gate and make good the fence. They are seeking advice from a solicitor, WTF!! Should I just close the fence up myself and padlock it and keep the key? Can't believe some people.

P.S. the council doesn't want to know about it

My 2c;

Very cheeky and they should have asked you all first, but no harm no foul.

In this day and age access is becoming a problem, so I think it might be good karma to move on.

Make sure they invite you to swim in the pool! :D

We put in gates connecting our units to the adjoining land behind as much easier to do when putting up the fence then later on, if you don't want the next door neighbours to come onto your land without permission IMHO put a lock on the gate.

BTW adjoining neighbours paid half of fence costs but we didn't charge half of gate costs as we wanted to put in gates. We also put in gates between unit fences and tenants can put a lock on gate if they want.

Cheers
Sheryn

Hasp lock + padlock on your side, problem solved.

If they need trades access they can ask the owners corp for permission for access, since, well, its not their land and so on.

Last edited:
Back