What advice would you give yourself 10 years ago that you know now?

Love that letter of advice RW...agree on the sunscreen, partner is regularly having similar chop chop, he is fair skinned, red haired variety and an outdoor man. We keep a close eye on what can stay and what must go with his skin.

Australia has the highest incidence of skin cancer in the world, a sad price to pay for our lucky country, we must be pro active and vigilant.

Advice for me for 10yrs ago?

Nice life, nice choices...you are one lucky buggar, well done.

My Advice to me - spend more time with your Dad and don't wait til now to make him feel special. On Friday the doctors told him they had cancelled his operation and to just go home as he has just a couple of months left to live.

Considering he has Melanoma and is going to die of suncancer I'd suggest using Sunscreen as very bloody good advice.....

Kev
www.gogecko.com.au

Kevin

Ouch.

A painful experience in all senses.

Your quote ("It's not what you leave for your children but what you leave in them") becomes especially relevant- but from a different point of view from what you intended (perhaps).

BTW, your "GoGecko" ads are becoming prominent on morning drivetime radio in Canberra (usually very close to my business ads). I hope both sets of ads are successful.

don't get married just as a reason to get out of home ... don't marry that domineering idiot ... don't be so negative about everything just to get attention ... grow up!! but then again - don't think i would've listened.

oh, and don't sell that large townhouse block for a short term cash gain.

H
The words "I told you so" keep ringing in my ears when I tell my Mother I have another appointment in 2 weeks with the skin cancer people.
Can't add up the times I heard "put a hat on" etc (that was 40 years ago :eek: )
Now our son has heard from someone at work that there is a unit in Newcastle he could buy for a good price, and he is really keen. You would think we haven't done or said a damn thing ourselves about property etc, but someone from work, thats different. :eek:
Just goes to show, when you are ready to listen, you will hear the advice that you need/want to know. (I will apply for hearing aids tomorrow)
Ten years ago I heard a lot of good advice, but didn't ACT:mad:

jahn

I've had this archived for awhile and found it rather reflective for me and thought I'd share. John McGrath first passed this onto me.

EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS A GIFT

I’m thankful for my teenager who is complaining about doing the dishes because that means she is home and not out on the streets
I’m thankful for the taxes I pay because that means I am employed
I’m thankful for the mess I have to clean up after a party because that means I have been surrounded by friends the night before
I’m thankful for the clothes that fit a little snug because that means I have enough to eat
I’m thankful for the lawn that needs mowing, the windows that need washing and the gutters that constantly need repairing because that means I have a home
I’m thankful for the complaining I hear about the Government because that means I live in a land that has freedom of speech
I am thankful for the parking spot at the far end of the parking lot because that means I an capable of walking and have been blessed with transportation
I am thankful for the huge heating bills because that means I was warm
I am thankful for the pile of laundry and ironing that pile up because that means I have clothes to wear
I am thankful for the weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day because that means I have been capable of working hard
I am thankful for the alarm clock which goes off in the early morning hours every day because that means I am alive

How many people would love to have our challenges.

There may be some good advice to ourselves in there.

Kev
www.gogecko.com.au

Reactions: Les
Nice Quote

EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS A GIFT I’m thankful for my teenager who is complaining about doing the dishes because that means she is home and not out on the streets I’m thankful for the taxes I pay because that means I am employed I’m thankful for the mess I have to clean up after a party because that means I have been surrounded by friends the night before I’m thankful for the clothes that fit a little snug because that means I have enough to eat I’m thankful for the lawn that needs mowing said:
I posted that on my fridge so every morning when it's cold and dark, and I really don't want to go to work, I have a quick read and realise that at the end of the day, I have it pretty good and there are a lot of people worse of than myself.:)

10 years ago I wish I had taken advice and bought every perth house I was approved for. I would have researched and educated myself in stockmarket purchases back then. I would have rented out the ppor and headed north for work and invested every cent BEFORE having kids.

Oh well, no point looking back and wishing, just means I am more aggressive today to reach my goals.

I would think of scenarios where I got rattled by other people's opinions & say to myself: "Don't listen!"
Then I would think of other scenarios and think "You shoulda listened!"

Pah! Ya live 'n learn huh?

:D

Having mainly queenslander IPs I always paint doors in oil based paint with a brush because of the fiddly panel doors.

BUT..... having just painted the whole inside of a 1950s house with flush doors and multi-door linen cupboards I wish I had known ten years ago to use a small six inch wide roller to roll the paint on rather than just using a brush (even for a panel door it is faster).

I have just painted 24 doors of varying sizes (back and front) and did it much more quickly with the roller (followed while wet with a brush for a nice finish) than just a brush..... DOH!!!

Also learned that two cutting in and two rolling means a plaster walled room can be done in under ten minutes, but I actually already knew that.

Wylie

Don't get scared as the numbers get bigger.
Thanks for reminding me Dazz. I remember buying my first house. Cost $19,500 in Rosalie (Bris) in 1981. Boy was I terrified. What a huge mortgage....$40 pm in repayments. Last house I bought in Cairns for $490K...even huger (is that a word?) mortgage repayments.

Somewhere along the way....the dollar amounts just became numbers. So long as the spreadsheet crunched them with the right percentages, the head just coped.

We human beings are a very adaptable lot. We can adjust to just about anything, given time and patience. Sort of like when microwave ovens came in...we had to change our mindset about how we cooked food. That took time and patience. And I think thats the key to changing our mindset from "dollars" to "numbers". The dollars have an emotive context, whereas numbers are just numbers. To make that transition just takes time and patience and a good spreadsheet!;)

10 years ago? Resolved never to stop borrowing OPM. And got out of the cycle of paying off debt with an asset. DOH!!! such a slow learner!

Also learned that two cutting in and two rolling means a plaster walled room can be done in under ten minutes
What the

It takes me hours to do the edges with cutting brush, then roller, then cut, then roller. With a 2 hour touch dry, I busy constantly for 6 hours.

Please expand on this??

cheers
quoll

We were rushing to finish a bedroom so we had two cutting in and two following with rollers. My hubby and two oldest boys. We whipped through the room in about ten minutes. It was only one coat as we were painting the room in a very similar colour. But with acrylic paint, we would have recoated the room in probably three or four hours at the latest.

Wylie

Where are they today S.S. of 2003

I found this post on what people had done 10 yrs ago. Now over 15ys.

Wonder how alot are going. Some still here:)

Older and wiser:D

Gee Cee

Older definately:eek:

Back