What are you going to import now with USD @ 1.09?

Ok, lets just for arguments sake assume that the USD is going to stay at this rate.

What are people buying online/importing to take advantage of the strong currency and at what price vs retail

Note: item must be importable, so no fireworks or cars, (yes, we aussies get ripped off in cars!)

so here it goes for me, i havent really bought much but trying to think of them

- Oakley Sunglasses: They are $450-$500 here, I paid about $250
- a few car parts - about 30-40% off including shipping

I bought a pair of adidas running shoes, two t-shirts and seven pairs of socks, delivered to my door for the same price as I would have paid for just the shoes here in Aus.

I might also look at a new set of golf clubs, but the delivery from US is hideously expensive. But I might have a look. Just don't tell my wife...

10,000 sheets of heat compressed composite recycled plastic sheeting

oh - and books from amazon (sorry borders)

I was going to post the same question.

I feel like I should be buying something but don't know what. If I was young again I'd have a corvette or dodge on its way over in a boat.

I'm probably just going to buy some gym and video equipment (only really retail in the U.S.) If my shares ever go up, might consider visiting the U.S. I have already googled the countries that use the U.S dollar as their currency.

Great thread. I recently purchased a number of car parts for my Mazda RX8. All up paid $1300 AUD. Had I sourced them locally the cost would have exceeded 5k easy.

One of the reasons for the savings is Mazda Australia do not sell one particular part separately; however, mostly comes down to not being ripped off.

Funniest thing about it is the parts originally come from Japan to USA then Australia and its still cheaper. Go figure.

Wish you could import cars for cheap as I could see myself in a Bumblebee Camero. One getting around Darwin at the moment at it looks very nice indeed.

If the parts cost that much here I would have bought them in a heart beep but at almost 5 times more it's not going to happen.

So, only one day later and we have USD @ $1.05.... at this rate we will be at parity by tomorrow so better buy quickly!

.... thx Binga-ling-ding-laden....

Heaps of everything! Main sites being BodyBuilding.com (30%+ savings before I even factor in extra 8-10% currency discount) for supps and Amazon.com/Amazon.co.uk for everything else (DVD's, books, clothes etc). Having said that, even at USD$0.90 these sites still work out cheaper.

Also launching an online store myself by mid June to see if I can take advantage of the other side of the equation as well.

I bought a Kindle, which is great. Delivery in 3 days from US.

I also had a business trip to US earlier in the year, and I bought clothes. $200AUD got me a suit, 3 blouses, 1 pr slacks, 2 jumpers and one or two other things...... better than Myer quality at less than half the price, and they werent all black (it seems all "business wear" for ladies in Myer is black).

I'm just gunna support local businesses...

good in theroy, but with the local product 4x more expensive, including shipping, it makes the product unviable ... but manufacturing of finished product, design, packaging and marketing are all local.

everything else i buy from australian stores - even if it is online - or the corner shop.

went to HIA homeshow last week, a few guys there were actually establishing factories to do their work in china

For me - bifold doors, underlay, floorboards, bathroom products, vanity, wardrobe for my next reno

personal items - apple products (ipad stuff) and some camera lenses - send all the way from US. still beats the prices here hands down.

1958-chevrolet-impala-convertible-1.jpg
im black or red

seriously.

Back