What are you going to import now with USD @ 1.09?

Monopoly,

You don't have to convert cars that are over 30 years old to RHD - they can be registered and driven as LHD on our roads.
I have been looking for a while at improting a late 70's Corvette and it is starting to look even more attractive with the $ at the current rate. You can pick them up for $10-$15k and then it costs about $5k to ship and comply.

Most US Muscle cars from this era are significantly cheaper in the US than here and there is a better choice.

Cheers.

so cham

Im a real fan of this shape

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...carhome&__Nne=15&trecs=210&__sid=12CDD2CDB673

so it can be 69-72 shape

I want a black manual,

does that mean all I need is $5k+ fees +purchase car price and I can be driving one of these uneco friendly beasts ?>????

a martha stewart limited edition duck-egg blue kitchenaid mixer.

not sold in austalia, not posted to australia. i have a few US contacts who will buy and ship.

can be bought in the US for $350 for the LE model, standard are $295.

shipping $60.

here - $750+.

I'll be interested to see how you go with the power transformer. Even the transformer for the Bose CD/radio I brought from America runs so damn hot I wonder if the extra power it's chewing up is worth it. We've decided not to import anything with a motor.

so cham

Im a real fan of this shape

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...carhome&__Nne=15&trecs=210&__sid=12CDD2CDB673

so it can be 69-72 shape

I want a black manual,

does that mean all I need is $5k+ fees +purchase car price and I can be driving one of these uneco friendly beasts ?>????

Hi PM,

Anything up to 1981. The Black manual is beautiful though!

Have a look on US Ebay to see what is available. Alternatively there are a heap of dealers advertising them.

Personally I am looking at this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1976...9660068?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item41593723a4

I have not brought one over yet (still trying to convince the wife, as would lose a spot in the Garage), but have done a heap of research:

Shipping from point of purchase to West Coast of US - depends on where the car is located but from what I have seen not that expensive;
Shipping from the West Coast of US to Aus is around $3500 - $4500 depending upon the type of container you want;
The you have compliance (seatbelts, lights, AC, etc.), registration etc.

As with anything there are companies that will do it for you.

Or alternatively as I want to do is to personally go over, pick the car (there are heaps around) drive it to California to be loaded onto the Ship and then pick it up here!

The car has to be original (they won't let you bring in heavily modified vehicles), and there are a heap of scammers using other peoples ads at really cheap prices to try and get money out of you.

I am sure there would be pitfalls and hassles, and maybe even some cost blowouts, but like anything worthwhile doing takes a little effort!

And lastly they haven't really appreciated yet like a lot of other US Muscle Cars have - even in the states - so could be a good investment!

Cheers,

I'm just gunna support local businesses...

I buy very little online. Some stuff I cannot get here, so local businesses couldn't have helped. other stuff has jsut been sor tof impulse purchases - like a pair of Italian shoes worth $279 that I got for $55 delivered. I ould not have paid $139 if I saw them on sale here anwyay, so local businesses didnt miss out per se. But I got a bloody good pari of shoes !

Do people think the majority of purchasers are like me, or are the majority getting more and more savvy ?

Those adicted to shopping, especially say clothes & shoes and buy online to sve $ and buy more items or more expensive items, what do you now do on your Saturdays now ther's no point going shopping wiht the girls anymore ?

I buy very little online. Some stuff I cannot get here, so local businesses couldn't have helped. other stuff has jsut been sor tof impulse purchases - like a pair of Italian shoes worth $279 that I got for $55 delivered. I ould not have paid $139 if I saw them on sale here anwyay, so local businesses didnt miss out per se. But I got a bloody good pari of shoes !

Do people think the majority of purchasers are like me, or are the majority getting more and more savvy ?

Those adicted to shopping, especially say clothes & shoes and buy online to sve $ and buy more items or more expensive items, what do you now do on your Saturdays now ther's no point going shopping wiht the girls anymore ?
People are getting extremely savvy. My family order clothing online and should it not fit, trade with other people who have done the same until they get something that they like. One of my friends has even gone so far as to order 30+ pairs of shoes from china for $30 a pop that would happily set you back $120-180 here in Australia from a local store.

Depends on the generation. I'm one of the few people that look at where a product is made before I purchase. If I don't like a country, like Israel for example, I wont buy the product. I very much prefer made in Australia, and even go so far as to check up (with major purchases anyway) whether or not it was actually manufactured in Australia or merely assembled.

If we don't look out for our own communities, we're in a lot of trouble imo

My jazz guitarist mate wants a GOOD banjo from the States. (Yea! Seriously!)

Just watched some banjo jazz on youtube. Not necessarily for me but it could be an acquired taste. I would like to have a real jazz guitar in the future but too busy with work, uni and future business to play. Maybe in the near future.

People are getting extremely savvy. My family order clothing online and should it not fit, trade with other people who have done the same until they get something that they like. One of my friends has even gone so far as to order 30+ pairs of shoes from china for $30 a pop that would happily set you back $120-180 here in Australia from a local store.

Depends on the generation. I'm one of the few people that look at where a product is made before I purchase. If I don't like a country, like Israel for example, I wont buy the product. I very much prefer made in Australia, and even go so far as to check up (with major purchases anyway) whether or not it was actually manufactured in Australia or merely assembled.

Sure, but people only paid a certain amount of attention to that before the explosion of online selling too I guess ? Is this just another

I'd have thought the majoriy of major purhases wer estill made in shops ?

I dunno....

OK OA. I should go to my Honda shop and pay the outrageous price for a totally made, assembled and packaged o/s product so the local dealer can lord it over us peons and spend a fortune on his and son's motor sport in the insane hope that "trickle down" economics works?

It doesn't and we both know it. I owe him nothing!!!

OK OA. I should go to my Honda shop and pay the outrageous price for a totally made, assembled and packaged o/s product so the local dealer can lord it over us peons and spend a fortune on his and son's motor sport in the insane hope that "trickle down" economics works?

It doesn't and we both know it. I owe him nothing!!!

Of course not, that would be ridiculous. The case with Honda parts is that there is an Australian distribution model running simultaneous with a US distribution model at different nominal pricepoints determined by human decision and macroeconomics based on currency. The actual value adders are in either case Japanese (since they turned raw steel into great parts).

The US and Aussie parties are both middlemen, taking a cut based on the afforementioned pricing model. hence, a choice between an American or Aussie middleman means nothing to Australian manufacturing, and thus, you as an Australian consumer should choose whichever pricepoint is most suitable.

If, on the other hand, you had a choice of a Honda specification part made in Australia versus a Japanese honda specification part with a different pricepoint, then, depending on your nationalistic sensibility at whatever pricepoint, you may then choose to go for the Aussie part in order to support local industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
a martha stewart limited edition duck-egg blue kitchenaid mixer.

not sold in austalia, not posted to australia. i have a few US contacts who will buy and ship.

can be bought in the US for $350 for the LE model, standard are $295.

shipping $60.

here - $750+.

How about a Thermomix?

Apparently it does everything apart from mow the lawns and wash the car :D

And costs a bucketload

I'm a little late for this post but I've been looking at dolls houses - I have an almost 4 year old. Unfortunately Amazon does not ship them here - the saving is about $200!

That's about it. If my husband had his way he would be importing fancy shmancy sports cars too :)

One of my friends has even gone so far as to order 30+ pairs of shoes from china for $30 a pop that would happily set you back $120-180 here in Australia from a local store.

The good 'ol "spend more and save" mindset. Gotta luv it. :eek: Ya purse still emptied out to the tune of $900 on cr@p you don't need. Unless ya gunna sell them to friends or on yer own Ebay site.

My sentiment exactly. I'm happy to pay a few pesos more for the few consumer items I buy and keep my fellow Aussies in a job a bit longer.

I suppose if I was a dingbat maniacal consumer I would have to rethink that strategy a bit.

The good 'ol "spend more and save" mindset. Gotta luv it. :eek: Ya purse still emptied out to the tune of $900 on cr@p you don't need. Unless ya gunna sell them to friends or on yer own Ebay site.

My sentiment exactly. I'm happy to pay a few pesos more for the few consumer items I buy and keep my fellow Aussies in a job a bit longer.

I suppose if I was a dingbat maniacal consumer I would have to rethink that strategy a bit.

This is what we're delaing with, but even this phenomenon is nothing new.

Usually I would agree, but this guy is worse than Paris Hilton in his love for shoes, and being a very good dancer, he wears them out like theres no tomorrow so it's sensible for him to do. It's just his thing. Once upon a time he tried claiming a pair of my shoes and spent the whole night telling me that my shoes (2 sizes too small) were comfortable yet walking like a lame duck :D it was great. It was worth the trouble of taking his money and getting new ones just to watch him suffer :D

Time for anyone who wants or needs a new airless spraygun to buy one from America,This unit I have posted a link to is a Graco 390,the same one here in Australia (the very same gun) is just over $2000 dollars,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Graco-Airles...?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item3366e2b42a

I would stick to the Graco or Wagner guns (Both from america)

If you have a few projects to do or even one,this spraygun can be sold secondhand for the same money as you bought it for.:D

This is a professional gun that I use for around two years continuously before I buy a new one,not because it is worn out,but just because I can. ;)
I sell after two years for half price ($1000)

Back