What are you going to import now with USD @ 1.09?

Good luck with that OA,

Getting vehicles here attracts a very hefty tax, and albeit probably still making it quite viable unless of course you plan to have the vehicle(s) converted to a right-hand drive in which case you'd have to cough up another $30-35K each. :(

Good luck with that OA,

Getting vehicles here attracts a very hefty tax, and albeit probably still making it quite viable unless of course you plan to have the vehicle(s) converted to a right-hand drive in which case you'd have to cough up another $30-35K each. :(

The impala series in show condition will cost something like $30 000 from the states plus tax. However their value in Australia is more than double that. Also (you may not know this) I run an entertainment company, and have long wanted to expand into wedding limousines - not just so that I can drive the cars around, but also, because they rent out for $600 a night plus driver.

Further, unlike, say, a commodore or statesman, they do not depreciate so long as you maintain them (which isn't expensive - just keep them out of the weather, service regularly and keep them clean/treat leather surfaces. In fact they can appreciate.

Besides, what am I supposed to do, buy a holden like everyone else or a sportscar that does 300k/m that I can only ever drive at 100? Nah. I'll take two thankyou :)

The impala series in show condition will cost something like $30 000 from the states plus tax. However their value in Australia is more than double that. Also (you may not know this) I run an entertainment company, and have long wanted to expand into wedding limousines - not just so that I can drive the cars around, but also, because they rent out for $600 a night plus driver.

Further, unlike, say, a commodore or statesman, they do not depreciate so long as you maintain them (which isn't expensive - just keep them out of the weather, service regularly and keep them clean/treat leather surfaces. In fact they can appreciate.

Besides, what am I supposed to do, buy a holden like everyone else or a sportscar that does 300k/m that I can only ever drive at 100? Nah. I'll take two thankyou :)
No I understand that OA, what I'm saying is that it will cost approx. 35K each to convert, unless of course you plan to leave them in their original left-hand drive model. Yes I do remember you saying something about running an entertainment business, and understand you'd want to expand into wedding limo hire but at an annual fee of approx. $18,000 for the taxi licence (without the cost of converting the car to right-hand drive) really eats into the profit margin (especially x 2)!! :(

No I understand that OA, what I'm saying is that it will cost approx. 35K each to convert, unless of course you plan to leave them in their original left-hand drive model. Yes I do remember you saying something about running an entertainment business, and understand you'd want to expand into wedding limo hire but at an annual fee of approx. $18,000 for the taxi licence (without the cost of converting the car to right-hand drive) really eats into the expense (especially x 2)!! :(

Taxi licenses are expensive. Private hire car licenses are cheap :) and the wedding season is very short in darwin (12-14 weeks) so you don't have to keep them registered as hire cars all year round - but you can claim a rather large deduction based on work done/cleaning done/wear and tear depreciation in that time frame.

I've done most of the sums and they work out well. Besides, I love those cars and would get them even without the limo company angle. All of my buddies drive new cars and they're all the same - plastic, plastic, more plastic, subwoofah, plastic, depreciation, depreciation, plastic, plastic. Ech

Taxi licenses are expensive. Private hire car licenses are cheap :) and the wedding season is very short in darwin (12-14 weeks) so you don't have to keep them registered as hire cars all year round - but you can claim a rather large deduction based on work done/cleaning done/wear and tear depreciation in that time frame.

I've done most of the sums and they work out well. Besides, I love those cars and would get them even without the limo company angle. All of my buddies drive new cars and they're all the same - plastic, plastic, more plastic, subwoofah, plastic, depreciation, depreciation, plastic, plastic. Ech
Yes I have to agree, they have some pretty awesome looking vehicles in the US especially the older ones!! Though (@ just 150cm) I'd hate to try and park one of those babies; they take up a complete postcode all on their own!! :eek:

Yes I have to agree, they have some pretty awesome looking vehicles in the US especially the older ones!! Though (@ just 150cm) I'd hate to try and park one of those babies; they take up a complete postcode all on their own!! :eek:

You don't park those cars! They're just for cruisin :D (I'm okay with parking. I actually designed part of the parking layout with those cars in mind because they're such tanks :D)

No I understand that OA, what I'm saying is that it will cost approx. 35K each to convert, unless of course you plan to leave them in their original left-hand drive model. Yes I do remember you saying something about running an entertainment business, and understand you'd want to expand into wedding limo hire but at an annual fee of approx. $18,000 for the taxi licence (without the cost of converting the car to right-hand drive) really eats into the profit margin (especially x 2)!! :(

Monopoly,

You don't have to convert cars that are over 30 years old to RHD - they can be registered and driven as LHD on our roads.
I have been looking for a while at improting a late 70's Corvette and it is starting to look even more attractive with the $ at the current rate. You can pick them up for $10-$15k and then it costs about $5k to ship and comply.

Most US Muscle cars from this era are significantly cheaper in the US than here and there is a better choice.

Cheers.

You just have to keep them to historical standard, down to the paintjob, otherwise you will be forced legally to change to RHD.

a martha stewart limited edition duck-egg blue kitchenaid mixer.

not sold in austalia, not posted to australia. i have a few US contacts who will buy and ship.

can be bought in the US for $350 for the LE model, standard are $295.

shipping $60.

here - $750+.

Aaron: It'll need a power adapter won't it? Because I was looking at getting a Kitchen Aid myself, just don't want to fork out the RRP BS. :)

1958-chevrolet-impala-convertible-1.jpg
im black or red

seriously.

Waaaahh! It takes a lot to make to make me envious but then you go & do this! :(
One my (very, very) few regrets in life was selling my '58 Chev. It was my first car & I had it for 10 glorious years. A 'some day, one day' dream I've always harboured is to own a white '58 Impala - coupe, not convertible. I am shocked at the $30k sticker.:eek: I remember these babies going for $100k+ in the US fully resto'd.

Monopoly,

You don't have to convert cars that are over 30 years old to RHD - they can be registered and driven as LHD on our roads.
I have been looking for a while at improting a late 70's Corvette and it is starting to look even more attractive with the $ at the current rate. You can pick them up for $10-$15k and then it costs about $5k to ship and comply.

Most US Muscle cars from this era are significantly cheaper in the US than here and there is a better choice.

Cheers.
Hey Cham, no I realise that you don't HAVE TO, I was just saying if you WANT TO convert them. My son works in transport logistics and he organises for them to come across, hence why I am familiar with the costs etc. But as for conversions from LHD to RHD we were told by several "experts" that it was generally in the vicinity of about 30-35K to do this, maybe they were overquoting....that'd be a first (not!) :eek:

15k+ for a Chev, last time my friend checked (wanted to paint his Chev non-original).

show condition 1962 chevs go for 15-35k in the US, with the 1958 above going for more than that. Then you have shipping, tariffs, compliance, dramas, migraines the works - but in Aus I've seen them go for double so it's worth it unless there's some guy who just wants to get rid of it and start on a new project car (crazy people but they love it. good luck to them :) )

Ok, lets just for arguments sake assume that the USD is going to stay at this rate.

What are people buying online/importing to take advantage of the strong currency and at what price vs retail

- a few car parts - about 30-40% off including shipping

Just ordered four doorlock actuators for my Honda. Total cost <$150. That's not much more'n 10% of the price at my Honda shop.

Back