What can I do with easements?

I've got a property that the block is about 25m wide and about 950 Sqm, but has a 10m setback at the front of the property

I understand I can't build a dwelling on this area but can I out a drive way or garden or anything?

What do fellow investors consider are general options for setbacks?

Thanks in advance

Generally with easements you find out who the easement benefactor is, and contact them to see what they will let you do.

Oh really,

If it's general residential would it be the council?
My understanding is that easements are pretty much set

Is it simply a restriction on the building line ie setback but will allow you to put in a garage/carport etc? or is it a drainage/road widening/electricity easement?

An easement is generally on the title and will state what type of easement it is - most commonly its a sewerage easement. The relevant state sewerage body will tell you what you can do over those - in most cases driveways are fine if they are paved as they may need to pull up paving to do work on the sewer line.

A 10m easement would be unusual and does sound like a town planning setback not an easement. If it's a setback - where your dwelling is not allowed to be in the first 10m some will allow carports but not garages in that 10m. All of them practically will allow a driveway and/or parking bay and for sure a garden :)

I've got a property that the block is about 25m wide and about 950 Sqm, but has a 10m setback at the front of the property

I understand I can't build a dwelling on this area but can I out a drive way or garden or anything?

What do fellow investors consider are general options for setbacks?

Thanks in advance

If you mean a setback (which is quite different to an Easement in the title) yes you should be able to have a driveway.

Also the following can normally project into a front setback
Porches
Verandahs
Pergolas
As long as the maximum height is 3.6m.

See this link for more info on setbacks: http://www.anewhouse.com.au/2013/02/setbacks/

Back