What car to buy?

Y-man, any comments about this car? This is exactly the car I'm looking to buy at the moment.

Well, not exactly this one in the link, but brand and model.

Haven't driven that model, but have driven the model before it. The 4 cylinder engine's surprisingly good. Solid build, pretty much based on the old Avalon chassis - and I would assume typical Toyota reliability.

The Y-man

Hi Geoff. The best value all rounder for the dough is a 1-2 YO Falcon Wagon EGASfor 15-20K. It is the old type mixer system (factory) and on paper, not very sexy, but it is reliable and will do approx 11 litres/100kms hwy and 13-18 l/100k around town. At 55 cents a litre for LPG, very very cheap $ per km. A wagon will do Melbourne to Syd on a tank.

I had one of these EGAS falcons (a ute though) and it was fantastic, nothing went wrong, great highway and town car with bags of torque.

In the wagons the (115l) tanks are under the floor at the rear, so the spare is inside the load area.

I'm thinking of getting one of these myself as a spare runaround/long trip car/L plate learner car.

Stay away from high tech DSG type autos in used cars. If they fail, the repair costs can be horrific.

I hate cars.
I hate driving in them, and I never plan on owning another one.
I have owned a Toyota rav4 for the past 10 years.
It's not a smooth ride, but I like it.It has lots of windows, and you drive up high.
We have been fortunate that all of our housesitters have provided us with a vehicle.A ute,convertible, and a big Suv.
Hate to admit, but we did enjoy the convertible part of the car.

So, when it is time to buy a car in Aus, we will be leaning towards the Rav4 convertible type of vehicle, that runs on dual fuel (LPG)

finally a topic I know something about after months of reading!

first up dont discount diesels, modern ones have come a long way (especially the european's) & offer excellent economy & value for money. There are plenty of diesels on the market today that provide equal or better economy than hybrids for a lot less money, a few petrol cars too like the current fiesta.

If your quite happy with your current falcon then I'd definately suggest driving a current model falcon or commodore, both have come a long way in terms of drivability, comfort & economy. Both also offer lpg (or lpi in the holdens case) models plus there's also all the after market conversions which provide fantastic economy. The budget should easily stretch to a used/demo falcon G6E (with/without lpg) which is a fantastic luxury motoring buy.

Otherwise if your willing to consider a slightly smaller car I'd definately suggest a ford mondeo. My girlfriend has a zetec (petrol) model which returns 8L/100km on her daily city commute, the diesel (tdci) is more like 5-6L/100km. Boot space is quite frankly massive, bigger than my parents ve commodore. Used price for an '08+ is also very reasonable, my girlfriend payed low 20's on road for zetec with full leather.

If looking at 'mid-sized' options suggest you also look at honda accord euro & mazda 6, would definately suggest you get out there & road test a few options to narrow the field.

cheers, Tim

Pity we aren't talking about real gas guzzlers.

Not much I wouldn't know about a small block Chevrolet V8.
I've got two cars running with them, Chevrolet Caprice, and a Z/28 Camaro.
I say - stuff the fuel economy, nothing like the sound of Chevy Iron.

Pity we aren't talking about real gas guzzlers.

Not much I wouldn't know about a small block Chevrolet V8.
I've got two cars running with them, Chevrolet Caprice, and a Z/28 Camaro.
I say - stuff the fuel economy, nothing like the sound of Chevy Iron.

Or in my case, Chevy alloy!

2ndhand Chrysler 300c

has all the bells and whistles, lots of merc components

the CRD uses hardly any fuel, looks great and you can fit a body or two in the boot.
I just sold this one for $20k but it had 170,000 on the clock. Can pick them up with decent k's for $25-30K

Attachments

• chrsyler 2 small.jpg
    chrsyler 2 small.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 55
Haven't driven that model, but have driven the model before it. The 4 cylinder engine's surprisingly good. Solid build, pretty much based on the old Avalon chassis - and I would assume typical Toyota reliability.

The Y-man

I've had both a 6 and 4 cylinder magna and found the 6 better on fuel. Logic, I assume, is that they're both the same weight so 4 has to put in more effort to get somewhere.

I assume the case for Camry's would be the same?

http://www.auctions.sa.gov.au/price...ran_type=ANY&price_range=price1&Submit=Search

'06 Falcon wagon from the SA government auctions, 81,000km. Went for less than $10k.

Cars there are real cheap. I haven't bought one, but at that price I'll be considering it next time around.

I just bought a Aug 07 BF Mk 2 Falcon from the SA Govt auctions:
Gas only
Conditions like new
23,800 km
$15,400

Only problem with the gas only model is the spare tyre takes up space in the boot (as the tank is where the tyre normally is)

I got given a C200 CGI Merc as a hire car for 4 days… loved it…..

Imagine the C63 with the 6.3 litre engine and all the other extras !…..

I’d take either of those if offered to me in a flash !

I've had both a 6 and 4 cylinder magna and found the 6 better on fuel. Logic, I assume, is that they're both the same weight so 4 has to put in more effort to get somewhere.

I assume the case for Camry's would be the same?

The 6 Cylinder Camry is no longer in production, being replaced by the Aurion range.

Nevertheless, you are right about the 4 vs 6 - there is not much in it

http://www.greenvehicleguide.gov.au/

8.8L/100km vs 9.9 L/100km on combined cyle
12.4 vs 14.1 on city cycle.

(The new Hybrid model is a different kettle of fish though 6/6.9 L/100km):)

The Y-man

that's the thing... you can stick a puny engine in the front but to haul our ever increasing body sizes and associated consumer items around takes x amount of energy - burn it thru 1L or 4L engine size it doesn't matter, if you don't burn it you don't move

I just bought a Aug 07 BF Mk 2 Falcon from the SA Govt auctions:
Gas only
Conditions like new
23,800 km
$15,400

Only problem with the gas only model is the spare tyre takes up space in the boot (as the tank is where the tyre normally is)

Good effort - that's a bargain in anyone's language!

Back