What car to buy?

Thanks Wylie.

I have an attitude that diesel is especially dirty and polluting. Is that the case still?

Modern Euro diesels are quite "clean" - check out
http://www.greenvehicleguide.gov.au/GVGPublicUI/search.aspx

How about VW Caddy Life (ok, the paint work on this one looks a bit stripey....)

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...__N=1216 1282 4294962441 4294962746&silo=1011

or a Toyota Corolla Station Wagon

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...partial&Cr=13&__Ntt=wagon&trecs=74&__Qpb=true

Cheers,

The Y-man

Thanks for all the feedback people. Some good ideas so far.

Does an LPG conversion take away half the boot space?
It's not half but it does a bit. In the wagon it just goes under the floor, meaning the spare tyre then has to stand up on the side. Still a ton of room.

I don't think a station wagon gets you out of FBT.

Be great to be proven otherwise as I drive a station wagon on business rego and have been paying FBT on it.

Would recommend a 2-3 year old Commodore or Falcon wagon - very affordable and great value for money. If you are doing a lot of highway kms the fuel consumption difference would be huge compared to a smaller engined petrol car.

I gotta vote for the corolla wagon.
Cheap as chips to run... will have less impact on the environment than ANY falcodore, cheap to repair (if it ever breaks), has massive boot space, will fit 5 people (stick with a 2003 or newer model), and all comes in WEELLLLLLL below your budget.

Then spend the extra on a holiday :)

My problem with wagons is that I can't hide things in the back. Often, items I carry may be desirable to the casual passer-by. I feel more secure with a sedan. Fold down seats are good for the really big items most times.

Geoff
I was speaking to an upper level manager in the motor industry earlier in the week. He says that the numbers the govt spruiks include over 150,000 cars sitting on lots gathering dust, and the auto industry right now is in a lot of pain. All the dealerships he oversees arent doing that well and the stuff they're selling, well they're just giving it away and biding their time until things improve and going to let the smaller guys die off in the process.
So perhaps a great time to hit a deal. Depends if you want new or used though I suppose.

A Falcodore station wagon is only FBT exempt if you remove the rear seats permanently and sign a statutory declaration saying that the rear seats have been removed and you use the car purely for business purposes. That's how they handle it at my office anyway... a station wagon without rear seats is pretty useless as a family car though!

Geoff - Between your budget, size and security requirements it sounds to me like you're after a standard Falcodore on gas. Only you can judge whether the reduction in fuel consumption

Modern euro diesels are fantastic beasts and some of the tech is filtering down into other brands (eg Hyundai Terracan diesel just to name one). But you may have a problem getting a decent sized car of that nature with your budget... particularly one that would be easily available at the auctions. I tend to limit myself to the cars that are easily traded in that sphere...

Brainstorming....how about one of those little economic buzz boxes, cost SFA, but good enough to tow a lock up tradies trailer.

Or utility type with back covered in, all lockable of course, but fits all kinds of shapes/sizes, bodies...

Thats interesting about removing the rear seats. I thought that would be illegal as your rego papers/the car's compliance plate would be for 5 seats but you only have the front two seats in.

A Corolla wagon is not bad. Boring to drive but cheap to run and has a good amount of boot space. Depends on how much space you need and whether the load area is long enough (for example a standard 6 foot ladder will easily fit in a Falcodore but not a Corolla).

I have also driven an Astra wagon and similar to Corolla but with potentially higher running/repair costs due to it European origins. Is a much nicer drive than the Corolla though and a nicer interior. On the negative side the visibility out the back is pretty poor due to narrow side windows.

...I have seen a vehicle that had a lockup thing in the back, was for paperwork/documents, sort of a fixed safe of sorts, had to be unlocked to access what was in it, and wasn't something that stood out, ie if u walked passed the vehicle u couldn't spot the the safe thing. Very clever.

i just picked up a 07 Futura (XT with rear power windows and a few other minor options) Falcon BF MKII with egas (factory), with 100k on it for 13650 with rego and transfers. It took a while to find one that didn't either have 150k plus or cost 18k, but happy enough with purchase.

Falcon Vs 4wd,
Lighter,
Very common and cheap for parts,
Less running gear that costs money to replace,
Often bigger usable load space,
IMO nicer to drive.
Cheaper.

Falcon Vs Liberty
Less running gear, prefer big lazy 4l straight 6 on gas rather than smaller 6 or worst 4.
Cheaper,
Falcon not as nice looking/interior was more dated

Falcon Vs Commodore
Falcon has factory gas
Falcon has bigger load area
Falcon better for towing (rear IRS in commodore Vs Live Axle ute setup in Falcon)
VE commodore sports wagons are great for people who are moving from hatch backs or sedans but a disapointment for anyone with a full size 4wd or wagon.

In the end we couldn't go past the falcon, parts are cheap, most places will cary the belts, etc.. in stock for them, they are brilliant to tow with, easy to drive. Gas was about 1+k more than petrol but it doesn't take long for the pay back and the tyre uprgith in the boot doesn't decrease load space that much since its behind the strut tower anyway. While the gas system is an old mixer system it still gets between 14l and 19l depending on cycle per 100km and blowing airs boxes apart tended to be more of a maintance issue than design fault.

The rolls has a large size boot although the 4km/l might be outside of your economy criteria and quite a few times more than what you want to spend.:)

Back