• Far left (Cherry Red Mahogany)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Second from left (Cherry)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Second from right (Special Walnut)

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Far right bottom (Dark Oak)

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Far right middle (Red Mahogany Walnut)

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Far right top

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi everyone,

We are getting our PPOR pine floorboards stained and polished.

Here is a piccy of the test patches done Friday:

Image409.jpg

We would love your opinions as to which colour we should go with... we just can't make our mind up!

Talk about open a can of worms....

Purely personal preference, but because pine looks like, well..... pine I would probably go with the top right small patch which looks like..... pine.

That is for the purists and this is where it gets tricky. I also like the bottom right hand corner patch.

I think it really depends on wall colours, light that comes in etc etc.

This will sound silly but because pine can "yellow" maybe one of the more "grey" colours (on my screen anyway) would "yellow" less obviously.

The more I look at it, the more I like the corner greyish colour.

I reckon you will get a different answer from everyone :D

Wylie

My personal preference would be the bottom far right one. I think it is the most neutral and will complement all colours. (And might be best to not show dirt and dust)

sunshine

I wouldn't stain it - whatever you seal it with will bring out the timber's natural colour. Thats what I would stick with.

Ciao,

I wouldn't stain it - whatever you seal it with will bring out the timber's natural colour. Thats what I would stick with.

Ciao,

I agree with Simon. I've just had my floors done and just used a clear gloss finish (no stain/colour). My floors are Tassie Oak hardwood.

Ozi

I agree with Simon. I've just had my floors done and just used a clear gloss finish (no stain/colour). My floors are Tassie Oak hardwood.

Ozi
Tassie Oak looks great when it's just polished.

But FirstHomeLooker has pine. I'd suspect that they would look better stained.

COns of Darker colours:
will show sunlight bleaching more where it hits the floor,
will show lint and dust more,
shoe dints will appear bigger,
will make house darker,
floor space will look smaller

You also want to think about the colours of the most popular furnishings and which stain will complement them most.

I have pine floorboard in my PPOR.
We polished them ourselves and they look beautiful.

My vote is to forgo the stain and enjoy the natural loveliness of your floorboards. Pine have a wonderful, almost golden, glow about them.

Have fun.
:)
Lily

PS It was quite a few years ago that we did this, so I can't remember the names, but we bought this little tin of something that we added to the clear satin finish - it makes it harder, so it wears better. If you ask at Bunnings they would know what it's called.

I wouldnt stain it at all. Since the timber will darken over time anyway, if its stained, you could end up with something way darker than you wanted.
Something else to consider: When we first did the floors in our PPOR they were done with the two pack high gloss finish. Looked fabulous.....for a few years only before the scuff/ scratch marks make a redo essential. We redid the floor in a semi matt finish. Looks great even over 10 years later. This finish just doesnt show the scuff/wear/scratch marks that the high gloss did.
To redo the floors is a major disruption. You cant live in the house while its being done.
AND High gloss showed the dust more.

I'm a fan of the dark look. Thats similar to what my parents got in our home and it looks great. Middle right is my choice.

Thanks everyone for your votes and comments. We went with the red mahogany walnut which was my personal fav and the winner by far on the poll.

Now for those of you who love befores and afters....

Before sanding:
picturesnov121Small.jpg

picturesnov119Small.jpg

picturesnov116Small.jpg

After sanding:

picturesnov132Small.jpg

picturesnov131Small.jpg

So for the second coat they added a walnut tint. Here are the final 'after' photos following a total of three coats. Apologies for them being so dark - it was a rainy day when they were taken.

P1010244Small.jpg

P1010247Small.jpg

P1010257Small.jpg

Absolutely fantastic I think :D

I like the slightly darker colours myself. It looks more classy imho.

But obviously other people don't. That's fine.

Back