What cost to renovate a bathroom?

Just got an estimate of $6000 for a repair to a small shower and toilet area and I am wondering how reasonable it is. The job is:

The shower floor pan in a granny flat is starting to leak and the plan is to put a new tiled floor in with a fibreglass water seal under. The floor adjacent to the shower will similarly be resealed and retiled. At the same time the old walls will be replaced with Villaboard and tiled to usual height.

The toilet next door (another room) will have its floor sealed (currently timber with rubber tile) and tiled.

Builder type tapware, tiles and a shower screen are included in the price.

The shower room is a bit over 2.5mX1m and the toilet next door is about the same. Both have open space under being in a house on blocks.

Opinions please.

Have to say that sounds very reasonable. I'm currently renovating my bathroom and am allowing $3000 for supply only, DIY everything else. It will probably come to closer to $5000 though, I have one of *those* houses.

Your job will take a couple of days to finish, might need two tradies to put up the plasterboard sheets depending on how they work and how high the ceilings are, so just think about $tradiehourlyrate x hours. Most of that cost will be in labour, plus a few $hunded for the tiles, another few $hundred for the screen, maybe $200 for the plasterboard, another few $hundred for grout, sealer, taps etc. Don't forget this job has a lot of time built in for things to dry and be recoated, and someone has to scrape back the old rubber tiles. You haven't mentioned painting, and if the walls are being replaced you might need new cornices too.

Check that your quote is fixed price btw, if you've got leaking showers you might find your wall studs are damp, warped, mouldy, being snacked on by termites (who LOVE wet wood) and you're suddenly up for more to get the framing replaced.

I'm quite used to thinking jobs will cost $X and then finding out there's a tonne of extra work to be done. The first time this happened it was a fixed price contract, a 1 day job ballooned into a 4 day one and much swearing was heard from the tradie and I had to supply them with wood from my own personal timber stash, but the price didn't change.

Thanks for that. I suppose I am so used to doing things myself (more limited now) that it is difficult to gauge what things should cost. In this case materials should not go much beyond $1500 but I guess labour is very expensive.

we are paying $20 000 for a complete rip up, rebuild large sized bathroom, incl vanities, toilet, moving windows/ cupboards etc......
So $6000 sounds pretty good to me too!
I have bought some items on graysonline..... its allowed me in some cases to pay alot less, eg Caroma toilet for $150, and in some cases to buy much better quality products for the same price as standard products, eg frameless shower screen for same price as framed shower screen. They always have taps and things on there.
Pen

I just got a quote on doing my bathroom:
Remove bath, vanity, shower, tiles, toilet.
Replace wall linings.
Waterpoof.
Fit bath, vanity, toilet.
Tile 17sq mtrs wall and 9sq mtrs floor.
Remove all rubbish
Total $6500
This does not include the cost of toilet, bath, shower, tiles, taps etc.

Does this sound reasonable?

I just got a quote on doing my bathroom:
Remove bath, vanity, shower, tiles, toilet.
Replace wall linings.
Waterpoof.
Fit bath, vanity, toilet.
Tile 17sq mtrs wall and 9sq mtrs floor.
Remove all rubbish
Total $6500
This does not include the cost of toilet, bath, shower, tiles, taps etc.

Does this sound reasonable?

Is that the only quote you've got? You may want to check this site to got other quotes for comparison: www.serviceseeking.com.au. I've used the site to get 3 quotes.

Back