What did you used to do?

worked on parents farm when i was a kid til i went to uni... so after that...

student
sandwiche artist
protecting underground assets for telstra aka sending out plans
team leader for above
graphing telstras underground assets
team leader for under ground asset protection this time for sydney..
pub service - centrelink - investigating fraud
pub service - ato - customer service
library assistant
web site maintenance
help desk and documentation
some more help desk
Desktop support
systems administrator/desktop/app support/network support

Pre Uni
Papergirl
Babysitter

Uni
Restaurant cook/waitress/jack of all trades/manager
Drawing beers in an English Pub
Cafe worker

Post Uni
Temp maintenance management
Retail Bank worker (everything from teller - branch manager)
Retail/Business Global Markets Desk jockey inc providing economic updates
Territory manager for a chocolate company/ Personal Trainer (great circular work)
Superannuation firm Investment Operations manager
Outdoor Event Director/Race Director/Small business part owner (still am - although only on weekends - great way to really get to know a large section of the country)
Treasury desk jockey again with economic sides

- Paper run
- Babysitting
- Sawing
- Shop selling (deli - in family business)
- Make-up parties host
- Amway net-worker
- Waitress (in family business)
- Kitchen helper (in family business)
- Running Club kitchen (with family)
- Small-goods production owner
- Deli shop owner
- Share investor then day trader
- IT analyst/programmer in COBOL
- Import/export owner
- Commercial office fit-out owner
- Administrator/bookkeeper/payroll officer (in own business)
- House mum (when having babies)
- Volunteer (community, church, school)
- IP Renovator (in own business lately....)
Have been self-employed since 1995.

It's interesting to recollect these times.....
And you wouldn't want to know my hobby list..... (this could run forever!).:D

- Paper run
I remember those days - as a 14 year old riding down to the newsagency at 5am, sitting on the floor wrapping about 120 Herald Sun and The Age, then riding around with them draped over the frame on the cross bar of the pushbike in every type of weather and throwing them into the driveways.

I don't think the kids are even allowed to do it these days, are they?

- Amway net-worker

29f2wjb.jpg

One time, my ex-gf and I got tricked into going to an Amway presentation (her cousin: Oh hey, we're having a barbie, you should come over!). Then they wouldn't leave us alone, kept coming around to our house asking us to join. I hate Amway people.

Back on topic, I used to be:

An International Man of Mystery

One time, my ex-gf and I got tricked into going to an Amway presentation (her cousin: Oh hey, we're having a barbie, you should come over!). Then they wouldn't leave us alone, kept coming around to our house asking us to join. I hate Amway people.

Back on topic, I used to be:

An International Man of Mystery

I was never tricked and I never tricked others.
I hope you did not imply you hated me just because I tried to have a go at Networking. Many companies were doing it, AVON still does it so I just think at different times, different strategies people try, that's all.

I remember those days - as a 14 year old riding down to the newsagency at 5am, sitting on the floor wrapping about 120 Herald Sun and The Age, then riding around with them draped over the frame on the cross bar of the pushbike in every type of weather and throwing them into the driveways.

I don't think the kids are even allowed to do it these days, are they?

Not sre, but one of my boys doesn't even want to hear about those stories.....

I was never tricked and I never tricked others.
I hope you did not imply you hated me just because I tried to have a go at Networking.

I hate people that use shady, underhanded tactics to try and get people to sign up. That is based on personal experience (I had a similar experience a few years later, thankfully the guy took my 'NO WAY!' at face value and never mentioned it again) and hearing the same thing from many others. It's amazing some of the stories you hear if you raise the topic of Amway.

That second time, by the way, was after they'd changed their name to Network 13 or whatever it was. As soon as I figured out it was Amway, I got the heck out of there.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a shame The Amway name gets such ill mention when overall it's just a distribution business selling products and services from around the world incl Australia.

You can join and go flat out building your business network & sales or simply buy products for yourself at wholesale (what we do).

Ive never had pressure from anyone to do anything else.

Your one experience is not representative of Amway in the whole Mr Fabulous.

I know some very decent people who are millionaires in their own rights as Amway distributors and been that way for many many years and they are not, and never have been, pushy, sneaky, underhanded etc.

They have huge networks and have as much time and care for anyone in their crowd no matter what level of success etc they may be at.

There is always two sides to the coin.
Unfortunately some people involved in market networking can be very aggressive this is why they get such a bad rap.

I have been offered gifts in exchange for a list of names so they can cold call. Good way to alienate friends and family

I hate people that use shady, underhanded tactics to try and get people to sign up. That is based on personal experience (I had a similar experience a few years later, thankfully the guy took my 'NO WAY!' at face value and never mentioned it again) and hearing the same thing from many others. It's amazing some of the stories you hear if you raise the topic of Amway.

That second time, by the way, was after they'd changed their name to Network 13 or whatever it was. As soon as I figured out it was Amway, I got the heck out of there.

Same experience, not that I think the idea is bad, just not executed quite well.

Moved to a new town, didn't know many people, guy at the gym invited me over for drinks, I rock up and ... Network 13. Haflway through the video, I was like... Is this Amway? They then went into emergency mode.

Started talking about the awesome income he makes after 10 years. I was like... I'll make that much as soon as I graduate.

Anywho, I have a cousin in South America I just heard is creating a new network marketing scheme. As we all know. The guy at the top is the one who REALLY makes money.

The guy at the top is the one who REALLY makes money.

The way I understand the Amway business plan (not some network 13 sham) is that the guy at the top really makes money because they have built their business and their sponsor (upline) could indeed be making much less and not be at the "top" so to speak. It is not pyramid selling, far far from it. If you dont have a go and build then you dont "make" it, but anyone you sponsor could indeed race away with it and leave you behind, even though you are "upline" from them.

People need to get the facts about Amway and it's business then make informed comments, not hysterical anecdotes from bad experiences from breakaway groups that dont even have faith in the Amway name.

Ive only ever been around folks who are proud Amway distributors, never afraid or ashamed to mention the word.

Anyway, each to their own, we enjoy their products and enjoy purchasing some other products/services incl. Aussie made at wholesale from time to time.

The way I understand the Amway business plan (not some network 13 sham) is that the guy at the top really makes money because they have built their business and their sponsor (upline) could indeed be making much less and not be at the "top" so to speak. It is not pyramid selling, far far from it. If you dont have a go and build then you dont "make" it, but anyone you sponsor could indeed race away with it and leave you behind, even though you are "upline" from them.

People need to get the facts about Amway and it's business then make informed comments, not hysterical anecdotes from bad experiences from breakaway groups that dont even have faith in the Amway name.

Ive only ever been around folks who are proud Amway distributors, never afraid or ashamed to mention the word.

Anyway, each to their own, we enjoy their products and enjoy purchasing some other products/services incl. Aussie made at wholesale from time to time.

Totally I agree with you Fence. :)
I buy the products too and I had similar experience as you have mentioned. I think the comments above illustrate how preconceived ideas people have without even checking out or understanding how the networking distribution companies operate.
I have always been open to ANY information, without trying to be biased, and once I check it out, then and only then, will I evaluate if it's for me or not.
I do not understand why people are so against listening to something. All you had to say is, "I am not interested even to check it out" or you can check it out and then see if it's for you or not, that's all.
AND, if people think that anyone can grow a substantial business by being shady and scrupulous, well, think again.... Sooner or later, IMO, such a business wouldn't last in the long term (yes, some scrupulous businesses made money but only for the short term).

I should clarify. My family use to purchase from amway. It is actually a really cheap alternative (or was) to other means of buying typical household goods.

My issue was, I have met more people wanting to recruit me as a sales person, rather than selling me the product itself.

As for successful business. Anybody who puts in time and effort into any activity will succeed.

I've had a few (3) folk approach me about Amway.

All 3 experiences were the same; "Come and see this new business venture I am in".

No mention of Amway.

First time; I went along and got the whole presentation.........:eek:

Second time; I asked; "Is it Amway?" The guy hesitated, then responded; "What is your experience with it?".....

Third time; I asked; "Is it Amway, and if it is; you can save your breath". End of discussion.

So, my point was; why not openly volunteer the business and name right from the get-go?

Had a few so far!

* Paperboy
* Kitchen Hand
* Newsagency Assistant
* Tyre Factory Worker
* Magazine Factory Worker
* Labourer at Plant Nursery
* Panel Beating Apprentice (6 months! Quit once I found out one of our tradesman, who had alot of experience, was on 45k a year!)
* Carpet Layer (2 weeks, got out of that quick smart!)
* Surveyors Assistant
* 4T Dump Truck, Excavator & Bobcat Operator
* Pipe Rehabilitation Technician (Plumber)
* Floorhand on Gas Workover Rig :) (By far my most favourite of the lot!)

Let's see if I can recall...

After school/weekend IGA shop assistant
Checkout chick/plus worked in every supermarket department in existence except meat section
Cash office clerk (think small full brick office with one tiny bulletproof window). Would have been my favourite job if it wasn't for people incessantly bothering me through said small window.

Payroll
Bar person/event area supervisor/bit of everything at the Sydney Football Stadium/Cricket Ground. This is where I had the pleasure of working with four of the Bali Nine. :eek:
Admin at a chemist or two
Study/mum duties
Resource estimation geologist
Mine geologist/Corporate slave/part time airport lounge quality control :p

Back