What do you do?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences! He didn't end up turning up on Friday and Saturday as he had advised and the job is still only half done. I put a padlock on the gate on Sunday and the place feels a lot more secure. I attended an auction on Saturday and I was talking to a lady there for about 10 minutes. After a while I found out she is actually the owner of the agency I am renting through. She was really approachable so that's good to know.

Or alternatively ...formally request a rent reduction because you do not have exclusive use of the property :D

Nice call :)

I agree with everyone. Firstly tell the agent you will not deal direct with the landlord (she/he is just pasign the buck of dealing with a painful LL), if you wanted to deal directly with a LL you would have found a house that was sefl managed, you did not sign up for this. I woudl tell the owner next time they rock up at the property that they can not have access as you were not informed via the correct chanels. What ever you do, do not allow them access again, ever, Not without the correct permission. This will teach them that they will not get away with the curretn behaviour.

I agreee abut the padlock on the gate as suggested. That is a great idea, you are within your right and it will make it difficult for anyone to gain access when you are not home. It is a smart move.

Grab a copy of the tenants rights booklet, and excercise them.

BTW I once had the same situation whereby I knew the owner of a property I was renting and she would call and ask if she could pop over. I said no after the 3rd time and told her that when I am at home I am relaxing and do not want to be disturbed without prior arrangement. She took it very well and was always respectful from that time onwards.
...........Until I decided to move out and she wanted to self manage and when she conducted the first open for inspection she went into all of my cupboards and asked me to wipe the shelves in my bathroom and kitchen, and asked if I could remove a towel which I had folded nicely over my washing machine to protect the top of it because it didnt look "good"

I wrote a very direct email telling her she was out of line and that she could no longer gain access without me being present. She was very apologetic and said she had lost her brain due to recently having a baby. I accepted her apology, luckily I nipped everything in the bud super early though.

Good luck with it all,

Nice call :)

I agree with everyone. Firstly tell the agent you will not deal direct with the landlord (she/he is just pasign the buck of dealing with a painful LL), if you wanted to deal directly with a LL you would have found a house that was sefl managed, you did not sign up for this. I woudl tell the owner next time they rock up at the property that they can not have access as you were not informed via the correct chanels. What ever you do, do not allow them access again, ever, Not without the correct permission. This will teach them that they will not get away with the curretn behaviour.

I agreee abut the padlock on the gate as suggested. That is a great idea, you are within your right and it will make it difficult for anyone to gain access when you are not home. It is a smart move.

Grab a copy of the tenants rights booklet, and excercise them.

BTW I once had the same situation whereby I knew the owner of a property I was renting and she would call and ask if she could pop over. I said no after the 3rd time and told her that when I am at home I am relaxing and do not want to be disturbed without prior arrangement. She took it very well and was always respectful from that time onwards.
...........Until I decided to move out and she wanted to self manage and when she conducted the first open for inspection she went into all of my cupboards and asked me to wipe the shelves in my bathroom and kitchen, and asked if I could remove a towel which I had folded nicely over my washing machine to protect the top of it because it didnt look "good"

I wrote a very direct email telling her she was out of line and that she could no longer gain access without me being present. She was very apologetic and said she had lost her brain due to recently having a baby. I accepted her apology, luckily I nipped everything in the bud super early though.

Good luck with it all,

Thanks, great advice.

I agree with everyone. Firstly tell the agent you will not deal direct with the landlord (she/he is just pasign the buck of dealing with a painful LL), if you wanted to deal directly with a LL you would have found a house that was sefl managed, you did not sign up for this. I woudl tell the owner next time they rock up at the property that they can not have access as you were not informed via the correct chanels. What ever you do, do not allow them access again, ever, Not without the correct permission.

This is such good advice. Until you stand firm against their constant ducking in and out like they have a right to, they will keep interfering with your rights.

The agent knows this, and should be backing up your rights.

We self-manage but would not even consider just rocking up to the IP without contacting the tenant first. Our tenants never want formal notification as it is usually for something that they are wanting fixed, but if that is what they insisted on, we would do so.

Do the Strongbow "Think Fresh" thing? :D

The Y-man
I was wearing my hubby's shorts at the time and two of my tops, the quickest thing I could find. I looked a sight. Maybe that's why my neighbour doesn't speak to me anymore?

Dunno what state you are in, but your state would surely have something similar to this ;

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/consol_act/rta1987207/s46.html

I reckon you'd be hard pressed to get them so far, as you seem to fall under 46.1.(h) most of the time. You need to stop doing that.

Excellent point Dazz. I'm currently in Qld. I searched your link but couldn't find qld equivalent. I was a bit disappointed last month that I missed the Perth APN. I heard it was great. Congratulations!!

The owners dad was in our front and side yard again yesterday without any type of advice at all. he tried to get into the back but he was padlocked out and so then he asked my hubby to let him in. :eek:

You state you are in Queensland, so here is the fact sheet from the Residential Tenancy Authority

http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/entry_and_privacy_fs.cfm

Thanks Wylie. I'm getting onto agency now!!

Legally it's actually trespass if you ask him to leave and he does'nt LL or whoever comes in the property without permission or notice.

Back