What does "affordability" mean to you?

And if interest rates fall (as expected by the futures market)...?

Here's another chart. Taking interest rates out of the picture, it looks like the price/income ratio has been generally improving since 2003...

chart005_729.jpg

PS: so far, I have managed to survive 'untrolled' today, but I'm still on the lookout for them!
Good charts Shadow. Affordability has been discussed at great length over at the AP forum. That RBA chart is very revealing and shows that affordability was worse during much of the 2000's, especially 2007/8, and for quite a few years around 1989/90.

As you have shown, the ABS has published survey results which show that households have been spending a fairly constant proportion of their income on housing costs since 1994/5, even in 2007/8. Well, interest rates have fallen since then and incomes have risen strongly so it can't be less affordable now than then.

Some look to the position of FHBs when assessing affordability but a thread on APF has shown that, according to the latest ABS data, the average FHB gets a loan of 2.3 times income. That doesn't sound unaffordable to me. When looking at price income ratios we need to bear in mind that FHB households earn quite a bit more than average households and its always been this way as far as the data can tell us. An old productivity commission report came up with the same message. FHBs also naturally purchase below average/median properties. Again, that's how it has always been.

Anyhow, I'm surprised to see a doom and gloom merchant here on a property investment site preaching 30% price falls, advising selling property, advising investment in a useless and earth scarring metal, and calling others trolls. Digging up more gold just to lock it up in a vault will do wonders for the world.

Anyway, this is a good site and I read it a lot. I post more on APF (under another ID) because it has a wide range of posters, not just PIs, and there is almost no moderation, which I like. Cheers.

Hey there Shad, long time no see.

Speaking of graphs and predictions, where's our boom dagnabbit!?

2007.... *wipes a tear*....so many memories.

Massive boom around the corner
Everyone out of equities and into property
Surges in upper-end properties dragging the bottom with them
Strong growth in 08-09, boom kicking off 10-11
Buy now or lose out.

Seriously, you should get a job with BIS Schrapnel :)

Hi TF, yes, it's been a while! I'm usually over on the Australian Property Forum these days. Nice work to keep track of all my old quotes like that, but to be honest, I'm a bit confused by your post. The ASX did crash as I predicted, interest rates were slashed as I predicted, and house prices did indeed boom as I predicted. Did you miss the boom? It was in all the papers!

Yes, I predicted all those things in 2007/2008 as you rightly state. Like I said in one of those posts you quoted, anybody who delayed buying back then, will now find that prices are 20% higher than they were before the GFC. So I'm not really sure what point you're making, unless you're just congratulating me on my amazing powers of prediction... in which case I graciously and humbly accept your congratulations. :D

Last edited:
Hi TF, yes, it's been a while! I'm usually over on the Australian Property Forum these days. Nice work to keep track of all my old quotes like that, but to be honest, I'm a bit confused by your post. The ASX did crash as I predicted, interest rates were slashed as I predicted, and houses priced did indeed boom as I predicted. Did you miss the boom? It was in all the papers!

Yes, I predicted all those things in 2007/2008 as you rightly state. Like I said in one of those posts you quoted, anybody who delayed buying back then, will now find that prices are 20% higher than they were before the GFC. So I'm not really sure what point you're making, unless your just congratulating me on my amazing powers of prediction... in which case I graciously and humbly accept your congratulations. :D

**giggle**

So if a wife works, a husband works then they are meant to buy a house that reflects 40% of just one persons income and anything more is overstretching? e.g. 60% of one or 30% each is too much?? This might be the case with very low income families but cannot be argued as a general position as the following example clearly illustrates.

Wife X earns 120k hubby X earn 120k combined income 240k they dedicated roughly 48k for interest repayments (40% of 1 income) for their house purchase and anything more is a stretch???? this would leave 192k for living????

Sorry but generally speaking affordability has nothing to do with whether or not both or just one income is used when buying a property.

This has hit the nail on the head. Good one!

How long is a piece of string stuff here.
If you can pay for

basic food
basic medical
Basic accomodation
essential bills

Then you are living a life you can afford.
Anything above this starts to fall into the luxury not essential basket and should be proportional to your income.
This grey area moves constantly with fluctuating bills,rents,mortgages and food prices but so will your income over the years.

Question should be

Is your lifestyle affordable ???

Back