What is the world coming to?

What is the world coming to, when a TV Chef gets knighted??? :eek:

Does anyone else out there think that this a load of cr*p?

Oh, im talking about Jamie Oliver by the way!

I realise an MBE is not Knighthood, but still its fairly well 'up there' in the ranks, and considering its the same accolade that my great grandfather got for his time served as POW and his work in helping other POW's I think its rubbish!

What does it mean to receive a knighthood? Is it good or bad? Why?

Please don't tell me it's something to do with that gang of parasites called the royal family.

seems to be that they all get them nowadays todd.
he supposedly increased healthy nutrition through schools , benefitting youthful society and all that ,so perhaps its a good achievement.
by no means in the same category as war efforts of course.

richard hadlee's a sir.
clive woodward's a sir, only coz we didnt take wilkinson out.
anyone can be it seems.....

I see right through his 'achievments' and see them for the money making profiteering that they are. He was noted as 'helping' 15 young people get jobs by opening a resteraunt and letting them work in it. WOW! :rolleyes:

I think it's more because he has raised the issue of poor nutrician in the schools in England and has actually done something about it.

Given the rise in obesity over the last decades , a rise in awareness of the importance of nutricain is probably one of the more worthwhile reasons to give an award.

He gets my Vote.:cool:

Given all the self serving politicians and beaurocrates who often make up the majority , I think it's great.

See Change

Todd said:
I see right through his 'achievments' and see them for the money making profiteering that they are. He was noted as 'helping' 15 young people get jobs by opening a resteraunt and letting them work in it. WOW! :rolleyes:

If you hear those kids talk , it has changed their lives from directionless / meaningless existances to one with direction / ambitions and a future.

Jamie had a similar experience himself.

I'd say that more than most people can say they've achieved in their life time.

There are many tall poppies around who are worthy of contept , but I don't think Jamie oliver is one. IMHO

See Change

If you saw the TV special on him last night it went into more detail about his 'Fifteen' and 'School Dinners' projects.

In 'Fifteen' he took kids from low socio-econimic backgrounds and gave them a future. Most of his 'graduates' are now working in other top resturants all over the world and it said his goal was to see some of them open their own resturants one day.

He has now started the 'Fifteen Foundation' which is looking at duplicating what he did in London and opening up similar programs around the world (apparently Melbourne is due to open soon).

The 'School Dinners' projected ended up with him actually taking a petition to the UK Prime Minister who pledged to spend nearly 300 million pounds to provide more nutritious food to all schools in the country. With the obesity rate on the rise here, maybe a local 'celebrity chef' should try to do the same thing.

They say that in the UK he is probably no longer looked at as a 'celebrity chef' but an activist for today's youth. And he is only 30 years old! Imagine what else he can achieve and how many others he can help.

You can find out more about him and his projects at www.jamieoliver.com/

Good on him I say!

:cool:

Plenty of entertainers recieve mentions in the Honours List.

Disagreeing and getting upset about it is more a reflection on yourself than anything else. Comparing it to other people's Military Honours is pointless too. Do you know that in the Australian System the Public Service medal rates higher than the Ambulance, Police and Fire Service medal and well above naval, military and air force campaign medals

I reckon he is as deserving as most. Sure he makes money but so does Sir Elton and Sir Mick etc.

Simon said:
Do you know that in the Australian System the Public Service medal rates higher than the Ambulance, Police and Fire Service medal and well above naval, military and air force campaign medals

Sad, but true. :(

For those that are interested, the order of wearing Australian honours and awards can be viewed here. The list includes all the former British awards that are no longer bestowed such as Knighthoods, etc (though Australia has its own Knighthood).

Mark

Todd,

It's a bit rich you having a go at Jamie for all the work he's put in and saying it's just for money. Does he profit from changing the menu's in schools? No. He's potentially changed the eating habits of an entire country's youth (well, those that go to and get fed at school at least). If that's not deserving of an MBE, what is?

He did what he did and continues to do so because he believes in what he's doing. He's helped kids with seemingly no future help themselves to gain employment in a undustry that will exist until human extinction.

All this by the time he was 30. What had you done by the time you turned 30?

Mark

Two points for Todd & Ricardo,
One - Jamie Oliver used his fame to help others, has he benefited, perhaps, but he was out there putting his b** on the line to try & change something he felt strongly about (can you imagine what the UK press would've done to him if it's back-fired, they are Brutal on their fallen stars).
Two - Richard Hadlee, he runs a trust for assisting the disadvantaged in both sporting & cultural fields. Given he retired from first class cricket almost 20 yrs ago, he's probably helped more people than the runs he's scored.

I know neither are the same as putting your life on the line in a war but in the absence of a major war perhaps you should step back & chill.

To follow on from Mark L, Jamie also donates the profits from his restaurant Fifteen to charity. I certainly believe he is deserving of the award for all those he has helped. I also admire how down to earth he seems to be.

Apologies to the Jamie fan's.

He just happened to be 'the straw that broke the camels back'
As a few of you have mentioned there are quite a few other people who get granted these special titles. The goal posts seemed to have shifted over the years.

Ill give him credit though, he has done a great job with his restaurant 15 and other ventures and he deserves his praise, I just didn't think it warranted him being given that type of title.

Todd,

Considering the amazing goals that Jamie has been able to achieve in such a short time frame, not only for himself but also other people who didn't have the same opportunities as he did, who exactly do you think 'deserves' that sort of title?

It's easy to be an armchair critic I suppose.

Mark

I just feel that there should be more of a discernable difference between military honours and the civilian ones, Jamie just happened to be a name that I picked as it came up in a conversation with my grandad last night.

/rant mode off.
/me sits back down in my armchair :cool:

I don't really see that much of a difference between someone who works really hard in a defence job and someone who contributes to their country in other ways. Indeed the serving in the ADF is just doing your job isn't it? Have a quick read through the ADF Awards and you will quickly see that the vast majority are for doing a particular job with distinction - indeed my brother was awarded a gong for his role in the development of Defence Computing. I don't mean to put his effort down but rather to highlight that the most danger he faced was on his pushbike travelling to the barracks and home each day.

Indeed during my service in the 80s and 90s, which covered one of the longest periods where the ADF was not on active or operational service nearly all the awards read as follows: "Awarded to Sergeant Smith for his services to Army Catering" and "Awarded to Colonel Blimp for his services to Personnel Records Management". Makes Chef Oliver's look even more deserving in that light doesn't it!

Of course today you see more awards recognising leadership and distinguished effort in war and warlike operations which is probably how the average soldier would prefer it.

I am not referring to Gallantry awards here which indeed rate very highly in the precedence of honours.

So what is my point? Someone who contributes to society in the flields of sports and entertainment still goes through as much of a rigourous selection process as does a scientist or a surgeon and in my mind they are no less deserving. I know I have made a number of nominations for awards but have yet to have one get through - probably more a reflection of my writing ability than anything.

I hope you all realise that anyone can nominate someone for recognition in the Australia Day or Queens Birthday Honours List.

Having seen how this system works I definately have no illusion that these are just gongs for the boys.

But an interesting topic - thanks Todd. You must dread looking to see if there are new replies to your thread!

Simon said:
I don't really see that much of a difference between someone who works really hard in a defence job and someone who contributes to their country in other ways.

That would be where we are different then. As i said before, I see a big difference.

Why should I dread reading reply's? Do you feel that your intimidating me or that you are better than me for some reason?

Back