What is the world coming to?

im still with ya Todd.
he's just a cook...a tv cook. good bloke and all, tried doing a few good things, but leave it at that, doesnt need "honouring" for anything...
he hasnt solved the famines of africa, he hasnt completely turned around childhood obesity or anything....putting a few salad rolls into a school canteen is simple stuff that any mother or p&f committee should be able to think up. kids will still eat kids food, no matter what you do, and so they should.

you dont get fat as a kid eating crappy food once a day for lunch.
you get it because youre unlucky or because the whole lack of sport participation, too much inside tv/computers thing, slack parents' not feeding proper dinners at home etc.

Todd said:
That would be where we are different then. As i said before, I see a big difference.

Why should I dread reading reply's? Do you feel that your intimidating me or that you are better than me for some reason?

I am so sorry that I offended you - I meant neither. Those that know me will support that I am not better than anyone and certainly worse than most. It just seemed to me that people were defending Jamie Oliver quite actively and most posts seemed to be against your first contention. Was just a tongue in cheek way of recognising that you seemed to be standing alone there against the odds, perhaps deserving od a medal yourself. Please forgive my insensitivity.....

My earlier reference to Defence personnel is, I guess, hard to follow to those having never put on the boots. The avererage soldier feels that medals awarded for anything less than bravery are not in any way the same as a good old gallantry medal...

Many of the Military awards are granted for people just doing their job and usually a pretty normal job with an equivalence in the real world - a medal to SGT Smith for services to Army Catering is probably closer to Mr Oliver's than you think. Except that of course Mr Oliver's cooking is probably a fraction more imaginative.

Some examples from the last awards that may perhaps illustrate my poorly made point can be seen at:

http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/docs/Australian_honours_2006.pdf

There are recruiting liaison officers, building officers, planning officers etc. None of these involved the sort of active service which most people imagine wins medals. Certainly the Chief Legal Officer at the Training Headquarters has probably polished more seats than bayonets.

If my point is still not obvious then please leave my ramblings and just ignore everything but my sincere apology.

kindest regards,

Yeah Simon. I agree- many people doing their normal jobs (for which they are presumably well paid) probably get a lot more recognition if they are in the armed forces than if they were in civvy street.

It may even be recognition that the corresponding jobs in non military life get paid heaps more. But I don't know.

No offence taken Simon, I just want to make it clear that im not about to change my opinion because the majority doesn't feel the same way, thats what makes it MY opinion. Your point is received clearly however.

While most people are happy to sit back and not cause disturbance or difference, some will rock the boat slightly, I prefer to tip the whole thing over :D

Never back down, never give up and never plead guilty... ;)

Todd said:
No offence taken Simon, I just want to make it clear that im not about to change my opinion because the majority doesn't feel the same way, thats what makes it MY opinion. Your point is received clearly however.

While most people are happy to sit back and not cause disturbance or difference, some will rock the boat slightly, I prefer to tip the whole thing over :D

Never back down, never give up and never plead guilty... ;)

Good job there Todd. I'm in the same boat - never afraid of expressing my opinion - as long time readers of this forum will attest to I'm sure. As I always say - never back down from your opinion - as it is neither right nor wrong - just a point of view. While I strongly disagree with your opinion on Jamie, I respect your right to voice your opinion. Just wanted to get that out there.

Mark

I was just reading this..

Jamie Oliver has been voted "Most Inspiring Political Figure of 2005 " in the UK

Beating Tony BLair (7% of votes)in the process and taking 37% of the vote because of his TV campaign for better school meals (Bob Geldof took 10%)

It seems Jamie basically shamed the goverment into acting about the quality of meals at schools

I think that before someone bags someone over their achievements or recognition, they should find out as much about this person before they do so.

For example, I could ask the question of why cricketers have previously been awarded "Australian of the Year"? Why does a sportsman who makes alot of money from the game, deserve such recognition??

If you look deeper into it you will find that Steve Waugh used his public profile to help with Camp Quality and the Spastic Centre as well as founded a home for the less fortunate in India.

As for "Tubby" Taylor. Well I think he just won a couple of Test Matches didn't he?

Hey, no system's perfect! :p

:cool:

If your opinion is unchangeable (never give up, never give in) it's not an opinion, it's an anchor weighing you down.

And if you cannot face up to your own errors (aka plead guilty) how can you recognise and address your own flaws in order to improve yourself?

IMHO good acts need to be rewarded and recognised. Our society has few enough means of recognising exemplary performance as is. We need more people to receive medals before their peers for their efforts, not less.

My kids get gold stars regularly at school for good behaviour - we need to reward adults regularly the same way.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

The 'School Dinners' projected ended up with him actually taking a petition to the UK Prime Minister who pledged to spend nearly 300 million pounds to provide more nutritious food to all schools in the country.

That was a hard slog to get changes happening. A good day's work. One little boy had never eaten salad and he was seven - made me cry.

Kids were getting Turkey twizzlers (content; don't ask) and chips or baked beans full of sugar and salt for school dinners. And the same again at night for the evening meal. Moved me to tears to hear a local Dr tell of children that they cannot p**h and vomit foecal matter. (!) Who knew that was even possible. <weeps>

The parents were angry their kids were being given different (healthy!) food and were driving to school passing McDonalds through the gate. Little beggars were obviously turning on the tears at home saying they were hungry.

It was a hard road for Jamie, kudos to him. Good work to bring attention to the situation and offer an economic solution.

Todd,

I can see where Simon is coming from. I did my time in the military, almost 15 years in the RAA as first an officer cadet, then junior officer, getting out when they threatened to promote me to a command position as a Major. I finished just sort of my defence forces service medal for 15 years service. We called it the Parramatta medal as it had blue and gold stripes. Guys in the ADF get this medal for just turning up and going through the motions. There's no way known these should rate as highly as the "earnt" commendations that the likes of Jamie Oliver have deservedly achieved. I completely agree that gallantry medals rate very highly and should continue to do so. VCs etc are completely different to an ADF service medal, and I think this is where Simon is raising the point of differentiation.

I don't rate ex-military personnel any higher than any other job. Having been on the inside, I can tell you they're actually a lot worse than most other jobs so far as slovenliness and poor attitude goes but that's a whole other argument.

BTW, hats off to your Grandad. If you ever make it over to Sydney for Anzac Day I'll buy you and him both a beer or three and have a good old chat about his exemplory achievements.

Cheers,
Michael.

Last edited:
Simon said:
Geoff, It would have been Manly for Michael - thats where the Artillery training was done!
Too right Simon! :D

And many a fine night was had in the Officer's Mess at the old School of Artillery on North Head. And once we'd dined with the mess silver it would be off to the Manly Pacific for a few more beverages with the local ladies. :p Mind you, most of the local ladies didn't fancy the AJs and we were easily identified by our short back and sides... But not ALL the ladies disliked AJs! (Sorry, AJs = Army Jerks...)

Was a great time, and am really glad I had the experience. The military gave me a lot, but I'm glad its now part of my history. Have certainly moved on from then, and my body (particularly my liver) is thanking me for it.

Cheers,
Michael.

todd...did u read the STM sunday times articled on the good cook??

i note a quote with interest : " to keep his money making businesses ticking over (his books, tv production company, lucrative endorsements including sainsburys, earning him $2million per year), Oliver needs to remain loved by the public and in the public eye. And social causes such as jobless kids and recently the campaign for healthier school meals are doing wonders for his public profile."

he is a sensational success that is for sure. il wimp out of this one........be interested to hear your opinion....

If money is the motivation for doing good acts - what the heck, as long as the good acts get done!

Lots of hospital wings with names on them. Who cares about the name so long as the hospital has the beds and equipment to treat you.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

thats a fair point.....similar to politician votegrabbing promises at election time...things can get done. ive no problem with it.
i suppose the original query was more milatary v civilian type honouring....just made me smile that j.oliver was in the paper the same time as this thread...maybe there's a spy amongst us!!

Cheers Michael thanks for your input,

MichaelWhyte said:
Guys in the ADF get this medal for just turning up and going through the motions. There's no way known these should rate as highly as the "earnt" commendations that the likes of Jamie Oliver have deservedly achieved. I completely agree that gallantry medals rate very highly and should continue to do so. VCs etc are completely different to an ADF service medal,

Yeah I agreee with the above statement for sure.
Was just suprised that a military earnt MBE for time served as POW's and work with the Geneva convention is rated the same as MBE handed out to chef's, sportsmen and entertainers...

Todd said:
Cheers Michael thanks for your input,

Yeah I agreee with the above statement for sure.
Was just suprised that a military earnt MBE for time served as POW's and work with the Geneva convention is rated the same as MBE handed out to chef's, sportsmen and entertainers...

Huh?

I got to get better at expressing myself.

Back