What is wrong with tradies??

If the contempt you people have for tradies shows when you deal with them there is no wonder they don't want to work for you.

My husband gets this from some of the new customers (many are repeat and are a pleasure to do work for - he always tells me about the really painful or really good customers).

Eg. A guy rings a couple of months ago asking my husband if he can give him a quote. Husband says he can only do Wed after 4pm or Sat morning.

Guy says no he can't do those days and says why - one of these was the wife went to gym on Sat. morning and he took a child to sport. Husband says he can only do those days. The guy sounds peeved and says he'll have to leave it.

Husband get call back, wife will not do gym and will take child to sport instead and my husband can go on a Sat.

Husband does quote but senses guy thinks he's trying to rip him off by the Q's he's asking. Husband says clearly as he leaves if he wants the work done by the end of May he must ring within the next few days as he gets booked up quickly.

Two weeks ago husband gets call and guy says he'll have the job done and wants to confirm it will be done before the end of May. Husband says no, it will be done by July if he has no holdups.

Guy gets knarky because my husband apparently said blah, blah, blah, can do it by end of May.

Guy tells him that's pretty poor and hangs up.

Husband told me he picked him from the first call and shouldn't have wasted his time going out to quote in the first place.

Usually he tells them he's not quoting as he's too busy to take more work or if they look like being difficult ups the price as compensation.

My husband gets this from some of the new customers (many are repeat and are a pleasure to do work for - he always tells me about the really painful or really good customers).

Eg. A guy rings a couple of months ago asking my husband if he can give him a quote. Husband says he can only do Wed after 4pm or Sat morning.

Guy says no he can't do those days and says why - one of these was the wife went to gym on Sat. morning and he took a child to sport. Husband says he can only do those days. The guy sounds peeved and says he'll have to leave it.

Husband get call back, wife will not do gym and will take child to sport instead and my husband can go on a Sat.

Husband does quote but senses guy thinks he's trying to rip him off by the Q's he's asking. Husband says clearly as he leaves if he wants the work done by the end of May he must ring within the next few days as he gets booked up quickly.

Two weeks ago husband gets call and guy says he'll have the job done and wants to confirm it will be done before the end of May. Husband says no, it will be done by July if he has no holdups.

Guy gets knarky because my husband apparently said blah, blah, blah, can do it by end of May.

Guy tells him that's pretty poor and hangs up.

Husband told me he picked him from the first call and shouldn't have wasted his time going out to quote in the first place.

Usually he tells them he's not quoting as he's too busy to take more work or if they look like being difficult ups the price as compensation.
And it's customers like that, that cause the rest of us to get stood up!!!

I understand your husband's frustration, but then I think you can probably appreciate that of those in my shoes!!

And it's customers like that, that cause the rest of us to get stood up!!!

I understand your husband's frustration, but then I think you can probably appreciate that of those in my shoes!!

My husband loves a good customer and fortunately most of those he does jobs for are good.

My guess is many here are looking in the wrong places.

Someone posted that not all tradesmen are good at business, or time management/organization, etc. I think some of that IS the problem, not just that they're busy.

I don't think it's always the in demand or good tradie that doesn't turn up.

I still maintain you have to find people you know that can refer a tradie on to you for the best chance of finding the right people.

Maybe they're picking you from the first call, Monopoly.

I had a guy come and fix my gas heater on Saturday. It was a portable unit, but he said it was easier for him to come to me rather than me bring it to him. I booked the job in mid week and he called at 8am Saturday morning and said he would be there in one hour. Right on 9am he was at the gate. Pulled the thing apart and cleaned it and fiddled with something. Told me a few things about how to best operate it. Accepted my $110 dollars cash and was gone by 10am.

Sometimes you've just got to cut them some slack. If a job is awkward, and most repair work is because you never know how widespread the "rot" is, get a basic quote and make it clear that "extras" will be OK if charged out @ an hourly rate.

I had to do a major electrical rewire of a 50s timber home. I had a sparkie who'd done a job for me before and seemed OK so I said to do it on a hourly rate and my son, a sparkie but not experienced on that work, would off-side for him. I took him on trust! The final account was very reasonable. Had I gone to lengths to cover myself, he was in rights to cover himself as well.

Of course I've been disappointed at times but usually when I've tried to get a "mate" to do it on the cheap. I want tax invoices now, even if it's my PPOR.

Maybe they're picking you from the first call, Monopoly.
Depreciator, if you go back to the sample conversation I posted, you'll see what the usual communication exchange is.

Now if there is any "picking" to be done from my asking is that Mr X (name) and my politely asking if he was free to look at (whatever needs repairing) then guess you're right, he picked it in one! I have a job that needs doing.

Aside from that, there is absolutely no indication that I would stuff the person (Mr X) around. Unless of could he is psychic, in which case needs to rewire his channeling because if he actually had that right, he'd know I have no intention of wasting ANYONE's time, mine or his!!!

Depreciator, if you go back to the sample conversation I posted, you'll see what the usual communication exchange is.

Now if there is any "picking" to be done from my asking is that Mr X (name) and my politely asking if he was free to look at (whatever needs repairing) then guess you're right, he picked it in one! I have a job that needs doing.

Aside from that, there is absolutely no indication that I would stuff the person (Mr X) around. Unless of could he is psychic, in which case needs to rewire his channeling because if he actually had that right, he'd know I have no intention of wasting ANYONE's time, mine or his!!!

Perhaps Depreciator is LUCKY then ?:) Like all them investors with propeorty & equity & money the *******s !

Somehow, I find people with more expeirence than me in this sort of work, seem to have an easier time than I do, so I pretty much put it down to my own inexperience. But I'm sure that could not apply to anyone else

And if you are not interested don't give a quote that is absolutely ridiculously expensive just to make it worthwhile if some sucker goes ahead :mad:

in answer to this many years ago i did a quotation (because thats what its called) for a kitchen .she was a stuck up ***** all throughout the assement visit so i thought that "to much trouble ".
i didnt bother with wasting my time quoting because i "knew" from her attitude that i was wasting my time ,so onto the quotes that i "knew" that i had a chance of getting .
now look at it from a tradesmans view .
Do i need this bitchs grief ,answer no
Can i go to someone elses place and be treated with the due respect afforded to them ,you betchya
the lady in question phoned me and gave me a serve about how untradesmanlike i was in not getting back to her with a quotation ,so i explained to her how tradesman think ,if we think you will be trouble we price accordingly if we think your ok then again pricing is equated on the situation better .and its ALWAYS better to go with the accomodating customers first.
any way i have done about 15 kitchens for the lady after it sunk in that its better to get along with us than to cause your own situations
I can only speak from my perspective but beck and call doesnt work nowadays

This has indeed become a fiery thread :p

As a tradie I tend to agree with other tradies on here,the way you treat us is basically the way we treat you,

If i get a customer who thinks their **** don't stink and doesn't treat me like an equal I probably wont be nice back,

I mean I don't get it,I probably earn more than them,have way more properties than them ,drive a nicer car than them and they think they can look down on me because I might be working for them????:confused: I have dirt/paint on me because I work for a living.

Treating people equal is the answer,

I choose who I do work for,if someone recommends me I will give you a better deal,

I once had a quote to do in the city and I organized a time at 7am to meet,I knocked on the door and this person was sitting at his table drinking coffee and nodded he would be with me shortly,
I waited 10 minutes,looked back inside he was casually drinking his coffee,so I went to my vehicle and drove off.

We have to put up with this type of people every day,an hour spent traveling to a quote ,an hour spent explaining how we will do the job,and hour spent traveling back to where we were working ,these aren't billable hours you know ??? 95% of the time we will never hear back from these people,not even to tell us we didn't get the job.
Out of 100 unsuccessful quotes I would be lucky to get one call back.

How many people here have taken the time to phone a tradie to tell them they didn't get the job??????

As a tradie I tend to agree with other tradies on here,the way you treat us is basically the way we treat you,
Understand completely, if you are treated badly of course you can't expect to be treated nicely in return...BUT how can you say this for people you haven't even met yet?? :confused:

How do you know what I'm like or as Depreciator implied "pick" from just a 2 minute phone conversation where all I (or anyone else) has done is introduced themselves, asked if you were available to do a job and given you the address after you agreed to an appointment?? Where's the problem?? Did I ask the wrong questions?? Did I "offend" you in some way?? :confused:
If i get a customer who thinks their **** don't stink and doesn't treat me like an equal I probably wont be nice back,
I couldn't agree more!!
How many people here have taken the time to phone a tradie to tell them they didn't get the job??????
Assuming the person had more than one quote?? Well, I haven't had to do this as yet because getting ONE quote was painful enough, so this scenario is a non-event as far as I'm concerned, and to answer you're question NO I HAVEN'T because THEY always got the job (there was no one else)!!

Here's the thing...

I don't have a problem with tradies per se, BUT

I do have a problem with tradies who don't phone or show up, come to think of it....

I have a problem with ANYONE who does this regardless of their profession, though it tends to ALWAYS be the tradies. I've yet to have a salesman decide "nah....can't be bothered, think I'll give this job a miss"!!! :rolleyes:

You don't want the job, FINE no problem (I'm okay with that, REALLY) but for the goodness sake, just be decent enough to say "sorry love, you'll have to call someone else, I'm flat stick".....sweet.....no problem, I'll move onto the next person who is happy to take the work, no drama and if treated this way, I MAY call you back one day because you had the decency to be straight up with me!!! :eek:

Last edited:
I will start by saying im a tradesman who runs there own business so my view is bias.

Ill try to keep my rant short.

But this comment really annoys me.

I am equally sick of locals who will only get out of bed if they're on 500 a day so a bit of downward pressure on prices is overall good.

Do you really think 500 a day is a lot?

Sure if he gets picked up from home driven to the job, doesn't have to quote has no over heads and only has to work he is doing alright.

The thing most people don't understand is, there is alot more work to running a business then just the physical work to a job.

About 30% of my time is spent quoting planing and paper work. The majority of the quotes you do for first time customers are unsuccessful.

Should this 30% of my time I do with out charge?

I certainly don't. I incorporate this into my hourly so the charge is passed on.

You also have overheads. Car, phone, warehouse, insurance and so on.
This all adds up.

But when some gets a Quote for $100+ an hour the carry on, cause your a tradie and don't deserve it. They don't see the big picture.

Ill just get someone from overseas and pay them peanuts. Then they wonder why there sons and daughters cant get jobs or cant make ends meet.

End Rant.

Back on topic, I do agree that lots of tradies do the wrong thing by the customers. You just need to find good tradespeople and when you find them look after them and pay them well. In turn they will look after you.

Dave

I do :) I either tell them that if they don't get a call by x day then I've gone the other way, or they get a call saying something like "so and so has priced $x below you, but I do prefer your work - what would you like to do?". The latter isn't a scam by the way - I just have a sense of fair play and give people the opportunity to adjust their prices/cut a contingency deal to make it work for everyone.

There are a few rude ones that I don't get back to though. If they're rude/too busy to give me time, I don't give them time either. Fairs fair.

sick of locals who will only get out of bed if they're on 500 a day so a bit of downward pressure on prices is overall good.

So how much do you get out of bed for? $500 isn't a lot of money as tradies don't bill 40 hours if they work 40 hours. Paperwork, travel, down time is all not charged, then there is the insurances, accountants fees, superanuation, etc they all add up.

I left a 6 figures wages job to start my own contracting Electricial/audio Visual business. After 2 years self employed I am finally sitting around where I was before I left and get no sick days or hollidays paid by my employer, and the work is often very cyclic.

p.s I don't charge $500 per day except for difficult clients...

I will start by saying im a tradesman who runs there own business so my view is bias.

Sure if he gets picked up from home driven to the job, doesn't have to quote has no over heads and only has to work he is doing alright.

The thing most people don't understand is, there is alot more work to running a business then just the physical work to a job.

About 30% of my time is spent quoting planing and paper work. The majority of the quotes you do for first time customers are unsuccessful.

I certainly don't. I incorporate this into my hourly so the charge is passed on.

This all adds up.

But when some gets a Quote for $100+ an hour the carry on, cause your a tradie and don't deserve it. They don't see the big picture.

Ill just get someone from overseas and pay them peanuts. Then they wonder why there sons and daughters cant get jobs or cant make ends meet.

End Rant.

Back on topic, I do agree that lots of tradies do the wrong thing by the customers. You just need to find good tradespeople and when you find them look after them and pay them well. In turn they will look after you.

Dave

I heard on the radio yesterday a lady paid $300 to install a switch worth $50
took him about half hour to install
i guess he did a lot of quotes before getting this job so he added all those hours on this bill as well

Firstly, Well said, Pa1nter, and Tab Dr.
Monopoly, it may not be you at all like you say. Sometimes it's your suburb, your voice(posh etc.), or maybe your just unlucky!

But don't give up. Talk to friends about recommendations. Don't talk to the master builders or HIA, they'll only give you a list of their members without vetting any.

I got so disenchanted by it, that I gave up carpentry/do everything, that i'd been doing for about 8 yrs, and went back to my original trade which I vowed never to.

But you know what, earning a high 6 figure some in the middle of nowhere, can be just as rewarding. You don't have the head **** that I did before.
The fact of the matter is, people want a RollsRoyce job, but they only want to pay for a Ford.

I've had clients that agree to your hourly rat say $45, which is not unreasonable, then you give them the bill and they basically call you a liar, and decide in their infinite wisdom to pay you what they think it's worth.

When I worked in Melbourne as a subbie, the going rate was $35/hr flat! No o/t, no hols., no rdo, no sickies.

I make more than that now as an employee, with so much o/t and benefits, my head nearly falls of with laughter when I get my pay check.

There are down sides of course! The satisfaction is not quite the same!
C'est la vie!
ciao all!

I heard on the radio yesterday a lady paid $300 to install a switch worth $50
took him about half hour to install
i guess he did a lot of quotes before getting this job so he added all those hours on this bill as well
I heard on the radio. Wow!

If we started a thread about cheap-skate/short-changing landlords and opened the site to all disaffected renters, wouldn't that be interesting?

This all adds up.

End Rant.

Dave

I'm going to be really blunt about this, and you probably wont like it.

I have a bachelors degree in pharmacy. I was in university for 4 years living in semi poverty. Pharmacists must undergo continuing education. Pharmacists pay thousands in ongoing insurance and licensing fees. Pharmacists, by and large, are paid a little over $30 per hour. I left my profession to pursue building because I could not justify the economic outcomes that went in pharmacy as compared to construction. What kind of twilight zone do we live in when that kind of thing happens?

So yes, $500 a day is a lot. A Hell of a lot. The tradesmen that I deal with are borderline retarded. They do light physical labour that isn't terribly different to the exertions of a standard factory worker or storeman and receive far superior renumeration.

I get very annoyed at the sense of entitlement had by some tradesman, who are completely detatched from the lot of people outside the construction game, particularly in professional services. It is socially unconscionable that someone painting a wall with an IQ of 90 is being paid more than a doctor who has plowed 6 years of their life and tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars into education, who has to slave away for several years more before they reach wage parity with a painter or tiler or cabinet maker. You have a warehouse, they have a study or office. You have a phone, they have a phone. You do quotes for free, they study medical journals for free. You have cars, they have cars. You have insurance, they have insurance. Tradesmen are NOT special.

Also, when you're making $500 a day, you only have to work a couple of days before making the average Australian wage, when others work 5 days or more for that thousand bucks.

You can try to justify it with all sorts of unpaid expenses and blee blee blah blah but the bottom line is that most of the tradies I know are driving $80 000+ cars, blowing hundreds a weekend on drugs/alcohol/clothes, regularly holiday, or are well ahead in the property game, while those in other industries with far higher obstacles to entry are renting, budgeting, driving secondhand cars, and are otherwise economically eclipsed by tradies who whine like jet engines whilst proudly proclaiming that they don't get out of bed for less than $400 a day.

I'm an opportunist. I grew up in a building family. I've done the tradie thing, the white collar thing, the small business thing (ongoing) and the developer thing, so this isn't a rant against one or the other industry - since when building slows, I'll dip back into pharmacy or whatever. This is simply a statement of common sense, and social fairness - when tradesmen who are flat out passing high school have a better standard of living than the best and brightest in society and make ludicrous statements that making half the average weekly Aussie wage in a day "isn't a lot of money", it makes them sounds like spoilt, unappreciative brats as detatched from the rest of us as they are devoid of common sense.

"$500 a day isn't a lot of money" what a load of pus.

"$500 a day isn't a lot of money" what a load of pus.

You are ignoring the fact it is $500 for 8 billable hours. Totally different to $500 for all days.

If people think a tradie is earning too much then the simple answer is to go and do it themselves. Many people don't have the capability of being a tradie, let alone a self employed one I've seen many fail over the years haha.

I pay my contractor programmers $880 per day and all the tools they need are a laptop not my $100k vans and tools. If they can get it well done to them!

I heard on the radio. Wow!

If we started a thread about cheap-skate/short-changing landlords and opened the site to all disaffected renters, wouldn't that be interesting?

Oh no doubt !

And retailers

And car sales people

and real estate agents

and lawyers

and insurance sales people

and....

Back