• 30-50%

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Less than 20%

Votes: 10 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The results of this poll are markedly different to one done a year or so back. As I remember 75% of respondents were 80% or more way back then.

Why? I reckon there is a bigger story in the change than the raw data.

Perhaps different respondants? Maybe the more conservative have hung around ss while others have moved on? Many investors I know have sold down property so that would also impact the numbers.

I have had relatively recent valuations and have lowered them further in light of being more realistic.

Perhaps different respondants? Maybe the more conservative have hung around ss while others have moved on?

That's the line I was thinking about. Did the others jump or were they pushed? Did they "see the light" or has their position just improved with time?

Bit hard to have a poll of ex-members. :D

...too right they will be conservative.....land content only...!:)

We have two types of valuations in SA; Land Tax is based on unimproved value, whereas Council rates are based on Land plus improvements. Unless you are a property investorand pay Land Tax, most people dont see what the Land Value alone is worth.

We have two types of valuations in SA; Land Tax is based on unimproved value, whereas Council rates are based on Land plus improvements. Unless you are a property investorand pay Land Tax, most people dont see what the Land Value alone is worth.

Pushka, on that subject - have you received your land tax assesment in the mail yet (or any other SA people here)? I can't remember when it generally comes out, but I received my ESL assesment over 2 months ago.

Hey Steve, we havent received any Land Tax assessment yet either - I think it comes as a Christmas Present! Just like Foley to do that, isn't it. We are objecting to one of our Valuations, we did that 11 weeks ago and still no sign of it yet. I suspect they have been inundated this year.

Why is there never an option for the yet-to-become-investors in polls?
I want to see up to date results from the poll so will have to vote something silly just so it comes up automatically.

So far the average LVR as per the poll is 61% as an FYI:

% applied Debt on $1mil Number
90% + 92.50% 925,000 8 7,400,000 88,000,000
70-90% 80.00% 800,000 23 18,400,000 60.74%
50-70% 60.00% 600,000 35 21,000,000
30-50% 40.00% 400,000 13 5,200,000
20-30% 25.00% 250,000 1 250,000
Less than 20% 15.00% 150,000 8 1,200,000

Based on my assumptions anyway :)

Why is there never an option for the yet-to-become-investors in polls?
I want to see up to date results from the poll so will have to vote something silly just so it comes up automatically.

Not much point looking at the results then, coz you have just screwed them up:eek:

1 PPOR, 2 IP, 1 block of land 66%

Debt:income is 5.88, which makes me a little nervous after seeing other peoples numbers...

And happy to make the 66% 80%, just snooping around at the moment.

Noel

Currently approximately 80% LVR on PPOR and IP1.
Debt:income = 2.885

However I only started 2.5 years ago.

Current strategy:
* Renovating PPOR with cash
* Purchase at least another IP in 2009, including selling current PPOR to family trust as an IP and purchase another PPOR

Could someone explain the debt to income ratio?

Is that using hypothetical figures

Debt - 100,000
Income - 50,000

2:1

I'm only presuming the higher the ratio, the greater the percieved risk profile of the investor?

Could someone explain the debt to income ratio?

Is that using hypothetical figures

Debt - 100,000
Income - 50,000

2:1

I'm only presuming the higher the ratio, the greater the percieved risk profile of the investor?

Not quite.

Its like this:

Annual interest on your Debt: $40,000
Annual income: $100,000

Ratio: is $40,000:$100,000 which can be expressed 1:2.5.

Anything less than 1:2.5 (for example 1:1.5) would be considered "debt stressed" for a company.

Another way to say it is to say you spend 40% of your gross income on interest payments.

I currently pay 39% of my gross income on interest payments and I consider that stretched to the absolute max. I will not push beyond that level which I consider to be the line between "comfortable" and "scary".

Last edited:
Hi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debt-to-income_ratio

This is different to Debt/Income which is total debt/annual income

For instance if i owe 2 Mill and my income is 200K then I have a debt/income of 10. The debt to income ratio will be different as it calculates the percentage of a consumer's monthly gross income that goes toward paying debts as Boomtown described on an annual basis. This may P&I, IO etc

Cheers

Shane

boomtown
I currently pay 39% of my gross income on interest payments and I consider that stretched to the absolute max. I will not push beyond that level which I consider to be the line between "comfortable" and "scary".

Just curious when you calculate the 39% do you calculate that as repayment divided by salary plus rent? Or just how much negative you are covering by your wages.

We are about 80% on the first calcualtion so 39% sounds lovely :eek:)

Back