What keeps you motivated?

The thing that keeps me most motivated, is making sure my children have a great financial start in life. I know most people try to do this, but I have an extra reason. I have a 7 year old son who is autistic. I am doing everything I can now with his education/life skills etc, but who knows if he will ever be able to support himself financially or even be able to look after himself without a carer. I will do everything I can to make sure he is okay financially as I don't want him to have to worry about this, as I know he will have enough problems over his lifetime with his disability.

pfsfinance said:
The thing that keeps me most motivated, is making sure my children have a great financial start in life. I know most people try to do this, but I have an extra reason. I have a 7 year old son who is autistic. I am doing everything I can now with his education/life skills etc, but who knows if he will ever be able to support himself financially or even be able to look after himself without a carer. I will do everything I can to make sure he is okay financially as I don't want him to have to worry about this, as I know he will have enough problems over his lifetime with his disability.

I agree with you 100%.............everything I do is for my kids, i have 4 of the little buggers :D
Some people say why bother, they get to 20yo, leave home and treat you like sh*t!!
I don't care, they are my flesh and blood, i would do anything for them to help them :)

GG

Gordon Gekko said:
Some people say why bother, they get to 20yo, leave home and treat you like sh*t!!

GG
My son must be advanced. He's not 20 yet but already treating me like sh*t :rolleyes: . Nah , I'm exaggerating and agree with you GG that I too would do anything in my power to help my family out.

Regards
Marty

The thing that keeps me motivated is having to get out of bed at 7:00 am Monday to Friday to go to a job. But only for a few more years!

The thing that keeps me motivated is the 40-50min battle that I have on the road each morning in order to get to work.

My drive,
my parents had nothing & regarded as bad tenants, can not remember the number of schools that I have been to and made to leave school in grade 8 to go to work to earn money for my parents, people repossessing things, electricity being cut off, even water restrictions being put on my parents home for rates being late "when they did somehow try to by a home", but had it repossessed! As I was getting older my parents asking for money to pay their bills, lending my parents thing and finding that they had sold or hocked them off! "sound angry don't I" you bet!

My kids have only gone to 1 primary school, 1 highschool, grown up in the same home all their life, know their parents to only work in the 1 job, have 3 IPs at the moment and working on number 4, continually setting an example and seeing them respond in a positive way, 21yo daughter already has an IP, a 19 yo daughter out looking for an IP.

My parents are my drive, My children in following my example ,my reward!

Totally Driven
John

John,

All unknowing and possibly with the worst intentions, your parents have given you the best lesson they could in being the worst examples they could.

Let go of your anger (not denying its justification), as your anger will hurt you, but never let go of the lesson.

I truly admire your drive and determination in getting where you have against high odds. I'll bet your kids never have to write the same message.

What Keeps Me Motivated

Having had a few days to think about it I'm not sure I like what it is that keeps me motivated.

Its a combination of things and to share my inner thoughts and personal life with you isn't something I'm entirely comfortable with but here goes.

Part of it is fear. Fear of not having enough, fear of not being successful in the eyes of the world, fear of being one of the 'has runs', fear of not winning and fear of people saying I didn't make it.

I've become a tight wad in a lot of ways. I can track that back to when I got married in 1987 at age 22. Before that I used to spend, spend, spend but when I married I didn't only marry a wife but also took responsibility of 2 step children aged 11 & 9. I think this is when the fear set in. The responsibility of having to provide was enormous at the time. It changed me in a lot of ways, and I hate to say not all for the best. I believe I've grown as a person since then.

I'm highly competetive by nature, I love to win, I hate to lose, I'm even a bad loser. (My wife doesn't play monopoly with me anymore. :p BTW, I won!! lol) I'm not the type that needs to brag about my achievements although I don't mind sharing them with others if I think it may help them in some way on their road to success by giving real life examples.

I don't want to be into my retirement and say what I hear so many others say, 'I wish I had of done this or tried that' or 'I wish I had of taken more risks'. We only get one shot at this life and we could live to be a 150 or we could die today. I want to make it the best I can with the resources I have. If I don't have the resources, I have to go and find them. I don't want to die wondering 'what if?'

A more positive motivation is the fact that I know its the sensible thing to do. We all need to plan for the future. Stealing someones saying, 'We need to live each day as if its our last while planning as if we're going to live forever.'

One of my earlier barriers to attaining financial success was the delusion of knowledge. I thought I knew it all. It's put me behind several years in attaining my goals.

This forum has been a breath of fresh air, a highly valuable resource of information. While firing up the hunger within, you fellow forumites have shown me that you're ornidinary people doing extraordinary things. We are a pool of likeminded people with a vast amount of knowledge, many lifetimes of experiences and a willingness to share. I've sure we've all read posts where the author may have unwittingly imparted a real gem that was been written just for you at a given time, perhaps a word of encouragement, a new idea, an answer to a question, a solution to a problem or a different way of looking at any given situation.

All these things keep me motivated in different ways during different times of my journey. I hope this post helps motivate someone else on their journey.

Cheers :)

Sultan of Swing said:
Having had a few days to think about it I'm not sure I like what it is that keeps me motivated.

Its a combination of things and to share my inner thoughts and personal life with you isn't something I'm entirely comfortable with but here goes.

Part of it is fear. Fear of not having enough, fear of not being successful in the eyes of the world, fear of being one of the 'has runs', fear of not winning and fear of people saying I didn't make it.

I've become a tight wad in a lot of ways. I can track that back to when I got married in 1987 at age 22. Before that I used to spend, spend, spend but when I married I didn't only marry a wife but also took responsibility of 2 step children aged 11 & 9. I think this is when the fear set in. The responsibility of having to provide was enormous at the time. It changed me in a lot of ways, and I hate to say not all for the best. I believe I've grown as a person since then.

I'm highly competetive by nature, I love to win, I hate to lose, I'm even a bad loser. (My wife doesn't play monopoly with me anymore. :p BTW, I won!! lol) I'm not the type that needs to brag about my achievements although I don't mind sharing them with others if I think it may help them in some way on their road to success by giving real life examples.

I don't want to be into my retirement and say what I hear so many others say, 'I wish I had of done this or tried that' or 'I wish I had of taken more risks'. We only get one shot at this life and we could live to be a 150 or we could die today. I want to make it the best I can with the resources I have. If I don't have the resources, I have to go and find them. I don't want to die wondering 'what if?'

A more positive motivation is the fact that I know its the sensible thing to do. We all need to plan for the future. Stealing someones saying, 'We need to live each day as if its our last while planning as if we're going to live forever.'

One of my earlier barriers to attaining financial success was the delusion of knowledge. I thought I knew it all. It's put me behind several years in attaining my goals.

This forum has been a breath of fresh air, a highly valuable resource of information. While firing up the hunger within, you fellow forumites have shown me that you're ornidinary people doing extraordinary things. We are a pool of likeminded people with a vast amount of knowledge, many lifetimes of experiences and a willingness to share. I've sure we've all read posts where the author may have unwittingly imparted a real gem that was been written just for you at a given time, perhaps a word of encouragement, a new idea, an answer to a question, a solution to a problem or a different way of looking at any given situation.

All these things keep me motivated in different ways during different times of my journey. I hope this post helps motivate someone else on their journey.

Cheers :)

Fantastic post SOS :)
Your honesty is refreshing (and inspiring!)
Hope you have a great week!

The feelgood factor.

Achieving just feels so darn good. I may at different times focus on one thing or another as being my motivator but underlying all of them is the fact that achieving just feels GREAT.

Thanks Quiggles,
for the kind words of encouragement and advise, I know that I have this anger and I channel it into drive, I work at it so as not to consume me!. I read a book sometime ago "can not remember the title", 2 brothers interviewed as to why they were the way they were. 1 on social security, a drunk and a drug user, in otherwords a no hoper, his answer was because of his dad as that was what his dad was. Brother number 2 a millionaire answered the same way, cause my dad was on social security, a drunk and a drug user a no hoper. Through the bad examples set by others I use to teach myself not to make the same mistakes as they have done.

One thing I have learned is never to give up, have had many, many setbacks (I could write a book and no one will ever believe that all this could happen to one person in a lifetime), I am always learning and have stayed true to my goals and dreams. It has taken me a long time to start to achieve them but I see the light at the end of the tunnel now and my momentum is gaining at a rapid pace, "this I have to keep in check so I do not trip along the way".

Again thank you Quiggles
Many kind regards
John

Brizzy Boy said:
2 brothers interviewed as to why they were the way they were. 1 on social security, a drunk and a drug user, in otherwords a no hoper, his answer was because of his dad as that was what his dad was. Brother number 2 a millionaire answered the same way, cause my dad was on social security, a drunk and a drug user a no hoper.
John
Hi Brizzy Boy.

The story you related reminds (sort of) me of one of my heroes. In his autobiography Wayne Pearce tells how he decided to dedicate his life to staying fit etc after seeing his father die at a fairly young age of heart attack due to neglecting his health. He made the decision that he was not going to go down the same path.

Why not put out a book, heaps of people like to read about "against all odds" people such as yourself (definately no offence intended). I wish you well.

Regards
Marty

Hey Marty,
You sound like my wife, she keeps telling me to write a book but as I said no one would ever believe it, plus I only have grade 8 education I would not know where to start.

LOL
John

Brizzy Boy said:
Hey Marty,
You sound like my wife, she keeps telling me to write a book but as I said no one would ever believe it, plus I only have grade 8 education I would not know where to start.

LOL
John
Hi again John.

Don't let the education thing deter you in regards to the book, or anything for that matter. I have absolutely no experience what so ever but if you do really desire to do it then I'm sure there would be people out there (publishing companies etc) that could steer you in the right direction.

Anyway, you're lucky I only sound like your wife not look like her otherwise you'd have the ugliest wife in Brizzy.

All the best
Marty

Brizzy Boy said:
Hey Marty,

LOL
John

John,

Plenty of people out there with a grade 8 education. ;)

If you ever do feel the need to write your story there is the option of Ghostwriting.

As a side note, I think Acey or Jas or both do Ghostwriting, probably not biographies though.

A86

agent 86 said:
As a side note, I think Acey or Jas or both do Ghostwriting, probably not biographies though.
I believe that Acey and Jas are in the place which is not quite a continent.

Guys,
thanx for the words,
but the book will have to wait till I am on my dream boat nestled in a sheltered bay on some tropical isle in my retirement.

LOL
John

PS 9years 1month 2weeks to go!!!

Back