what sort of action can a masseur take after a sleazy creepy client

someone i know is a masseur and was quite traumatised by an expereinc with a sleezy troubled creepy guy. apparently the clinic she's been doing some work in knows these guys come in. she is quite traumatised and i wonder what sort of action she could take legally against the man or clinic to stand up for herself and prevent it happening to others.

francine.

Francine - I have noticed that some of your threads/posts refer to your friends and their problems.

IMHO - Try not to take on too many of your family and friends problems after all they are their problems.

Does the clinic have appropriate signage 'Strictly non-sexual' or similar? That's the first thing I'd make sure exists.

Does the clinic have appropriate signage 'Strictly non-sexual' or similar? That's the first thing I'd make sure exists.

Yes, yes, good idea.
Or maybe, just a sign saying that to get extra's you have to pay a heap more and go upstairs. Flippen cheapskates.:)

Oh dear! got to stop writing what I'm thinking.

See ya's.

Francine:
what sort of action can a masseur take after a sleazy creepy client

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

someone i know is a masseur and was quite traumatised by an expereinc with a sleezy troubled creepy guy. apparently the clinic she's been doing some work in knows these guys come in. she is quite traumatised and i wonder what sort of action she could take legally against the man or clinic to stand up for herself and prevent it happening to others.

francine.

No one deserves or asks to be sexually harassed. Everyone has the right to work in an environment free from harassment, bullying discrimination and violence.

Sexual harassment is illegal (under the Sex Discrimination Act 1984). All employers are obliged to provide a harassment-free workplace where every one is free to get on with their job. If they don't, they can be held legally responsible for acts of sexual harassment committed by their employees

What You Can do if You're Being Sexually Harassed at Work
You might be able to resolve the situation quickly yourself by explaining to the person who is harassing you that their behaviour is unwanted.
Make sure you're informed - find out what the organisation's policies and procedures are for preventing and handling sexual harassment.
Keep a diary documenting everything that happens, including what you've done to try stopping it. This can help if you make a complaint.
Get external information and advice, e.g. Lawstuff, the union representing your industry, the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission (see below and links). These organisations can give you advice on your options and your rights. You can also ask them to act on your behalf if you don't feel comfortable doing so. They should also respect your confidentiality, though if you are concerned about this, ask them what their responsibilities are.
Tell someone. The person to talk to might be a Human Resource Manager, but if there isn't one you should report it directly to your employer, a supervisor/manager or health and safety representative (if your work has one). This situation might be able to be resolved informally, without any official complaint being made.
If the situation continues or is serious, you might need to make a formal (written) complaint that follows company policy. The person sexually harassing you might be officially warned, and be required to have counselling. If the sexual harassment continues, there might be a mediation process and, if all else fails, the person sexually harassing you might be fired. If you end up having to leave, you might be eligible for outstanding wages and entitlements.
If the person doing the sexual harassing is your employer or they do not do anything to stop it, it's important you get outside support and advice.

as per:

http://www.reachout.com.au/default.asp?ti=1682

ALSO:

http://www.business.vic.gov.au/BUSVIC/STANDARD//pc=PC_50522.html

"What is sexual harassment?"

Sexual harassment in the workplace is illegal under the Equal Opportunity Act 1995 (Vic) and the Sex Discrimination Act 1984 (Cth). "Sexual harassment" describes a wide range of unwelcome behaviour of a sexual nature, and is defined as:

the making of an unwelcome sexual advance
an unwelcome request for sexual favours
the engaging in other unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature
in circumstances where a reasonable person, having regard to all the circumstances, would have anticipated the other person would be offended, humiliated or intimidated.

Sexual harassment includes a range of unwelcome sexual conduct such as inappropriate touching, requests for sexual favours, making comments or jokes of a sexually offensive nature, displaying sexually offensive posters, screensavers and so on. It is not a defence to say that the conduct was intended to be a joke.

It is illegal for a person (whether male or female) to sexually harass another person (whether male or female).

ALSO: (You might like to read through)

http://www.humanrightscommission.vic.gov.au/news and events/media releases/20030922.asp

All true, but how can any workplace (particularly a massage parlour) prevent a client from making a sleazy request?
Maybe further details in the original post would have made things clearer.
Marg

making comments or jokes of a sexually offensive nature, displaying sexually offensive posters, screensavers and so on. It is not a defence to say that the conduct was intended to be a joke.

OMG:eek:

On that definition I was apparently sexually harassed for several years while doing a trade, even today I get told rude jokes get sent occasional rude emails and see images in workshops.

Dave

Attachments

• Huge manatee.jpg
    Huge manatee.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 85
sleazy client

she left the clinic for a number of reasons and is much happier. she has enough work without that clinic. but yes alot of your responses were very helpful thank you.

just have a big fk-off machete on the wall, with a little blood splatter on the handle.

people will joke about it being for them if they make a bad move - then just reply "yeah the last guy in here made a move, so i chopped it off - i'm out on bail at present".

that'll stop em all real quick.

Telemarketers hang up very quickly when they ask for Mr Stella & I apologise & tell them he is on the last stretch of his 8yr murder conviction & he should be home in a couple of weeks if they want to call back - for some reason they never do.

Cheers
Stella

francine.

LOL, your friend shouldn't be a masseur if she doesn't want to meet creepy guys. Tell her to get over it and get a new job.

NEVER seen that sign in any of he sports massage clinics etc I've gone to.. Did not make me assume I would be getting something "extra"... A girlfriend convinced me to get a facial years ago, drove me me to Ella Bache and they told me that they didn't do men's facials etc due to creeps (can't remember how they put it exactly) though.

Everyone needs to handle issues in the workplace, because of this, workplaces are responsible for ensuring they do what they can to protect you from more than you should put up with..

You rent a house, tenant gets annoyed and rings up and abuses you about a rent rise.. you handle it... If the tenant came tyo your house & et your car on fire & threatened your life, would you say "bad luck, you bought a propety, wear it" ? You can protect yourself from everything, you have to be realistic, but most of us understand the difference betweeen "thems the breaks" and something more.

Francine, obviously you need more detail to get more specific advice, if we are able to give it...

What did your friend do when it happened ? Is she ok ?

LOL, your friend shouldn't be a masseur if she doesn't want to meet creepy guys. Tell her to get over it and get a new job.

whilst that might be true if the guy simply tried to "chat her up", but let's not just assume that both Francine and her friend are that out of touch with the real world (which they live in just like us everyday) that she would necessarily be complaining about something so minor before knowing if this is the case......

NEVER seen that sign in any of he sports massage clinics etc I've gone to..

I'd say being a sports massage clinic it's pretty clear that it's not ones of those places that offers the happy endings.

Then you have those other places that are obviously 'happy ending' style.

Then you have those non-sports massage borderline places that could be either way. Those are the ones I see the 'strictly non-sexual' clarification text in the ads in the classifieds.

But what is clear to me may not be clear to people who seek out that 'extra special service'.

Have to agree here. One of my uni friends worked as a beautician while she was studying and had to do man waxing. When I asked her if it was yucky having to touch strange men's bits she just shrugged and said it was part of the job. That would have to be worse than getting a sleazy request I reckon.

Your friend has to realise their are sleazy creeps everywhere - she could meet one on the street, in the pub, in any job or where ever. She needs to learn to deal with it. What is she going to do, sue every sleaze who chats her up for harassment? Good luck with that.

What one girl may consider harrasment, other girls may consider it a compliment, so maybe Mr sleazy was just trying to be polite/funny/charming?
And maybe when he noticed that he wasn't getting a very posistive response, he attempted making small talk from other angles?

It's easy to interpret things incorrectly, be it re advertisements or being friendly with your masseus.

Back