What to look for in a cement renderer?

Hi everyone.

Im about to embark on one of the most important things in building my house, and that is the rendering.

Im going to cement render my double story new home and render my lower internal house aswell.

Im going to start getting some quotes, but im not to sure what kind of questions i need to ask a renderer.

What kind of questions should i put to him about rendering?

What questions about materals should i ask?

Some ppl suggested mixing the mix with clay, some say mix with lime, which is best?

People have aslo suggested to me to put get a very good renderer and pay more money, instead of just getting the lowest price.

What makes a renderer better than another renderer?

How is workmanship different with renderers?

One of the very recent API magazines ran a "How To" article on rendering. It might be worth a read as they discussed different types of render & applications.

I would wanna see his previous work, rendering is a very messy trade, where tradesman don't protect windows, gardens, grass, driveways etc. and once finished they make more damage than good.

Ask them for address of just completed jobs?
Ask them if they will protect windows and all areas where working?
Ask them how many people they have and how long the job will take, its a slow process and you dont want 2 of them on your house for 3-4 weeks.
Ask them if they will provide they own scaffolding?

Good renderer is very clean, provides nice flat surface with no marks or signs on the wall, corners and edges are straight, V and articulation joints cut nicely, no cracks after completion.

If any cracks appear within 2-3 weeks, knock on that part and if it makes different noise than rest, make them cut that part out, and do it again.

Im using the best render around, and he uses Lime for years, never had problem,and i wouldn't wanna experiment on that topic.

Good renderer charges $33.00/m2

If you look in the gallery photos you'll see mine. Fantastic job good price. I'll ask hubby for their details. They were recommended to us by someone also.

We got the raked finish rockcoat which I love.

If you look in the gallery photos you'll see mine. Fantastic job good price. I'll ask hubby for their details. They were recommended to us by someone also.

We got the raked finish rockcoat which I love.

Travelbug - could you post or pm me the details of the renderer please?

Thanks
Neil

I've just got a property rendered. Very happy with the job. Super fast, took 4 days for the entire house. Very good quality job. They didn't take the rubbish with them but they said if you want them to take it, they could have added it in the quote. Will post some pics soon.

Hi Maza,

Just a couple points in relation to rendering. I agree with Veseli . When we have one of our renovation properties rendered with a recommendation from our painter, we got the renderer to supply us three addresses of the property he done recently and went into the door knock on those properties to see the quality of the work and asked the owners what they thought of the work done. My parents had their own home rendered when it was being built and the renderer was very untidy. They spelt the rendering mix all over the new windows of mum and dad's brand-new house and washed it off with a sponge and water which stretched all the windows. My mum got the builder to replace every window on the house which cost the builder an absolute fortune.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jason Moore

yes, when i find a renderer who i may go with, i will be visiting some of his jobs to see his work and quality.

Back