what to look out for with development sites ?

In addition to the recent thread regarding soil testing, i'd like to make a list on critieria to be checked for development sites ?

-land size -frontage/depth, shape
-soil test
-sloping of block
-any easements under block
-zoning of block

what else do you need to check on ?

In addition to the recent thread regarding soil testing, i'd like to make a list on critieria to be checked for development sites ?

-soil test
-sloping of block
-zoning of block

Asbestos, some of the structures on site or fencing?? will cost more to remove
Any huge trees, wont be a deal breaker, but may cost more

There's only so much you can do. The raw numbers HAVE to be good to take into account all that stuff. The rest is just luck - good or bad.

Powerlines- can effect setbacks
Busy roads- may require turn around areas so all cars can comeout forwards
Side of the road services are on- costly if going green title
Council requirements vary so learn the areas of interest.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Flooding
Bushfire
Heritage
Vegetation category/Endangered Ecological Communities
Sea Level rise policy at a local government level
Developer Contributions
Neighbourhood character controls etc e.g. in NSW it could be a heritage precinct or a specific character area
Transport links

Character houses \ demolition control
overland flow \ flooding
access to stormwater \ sewer may be on another property
plus other mentioned already.

Any huge trees, wont be a deal breaker, but may cost more

In some suburbs trees will be a deal breaker as council may not allow them to be removed at all.

In some locations look out for mining activity and previous industrial use that may have left residue, former city dump etc

The slope of the block is a key one, depending on whether it is towards the road (good) or away from the road (in most cases bad). Was just talking with a building designer who has had lots of problems trying to get any blocks sloping away from the road through council, due to stormwater issues.

Positioning of power poles and bus stops can also be a deal breaker.

-soil test
-sloping of block
-zoning of block

The one item a very few seem to look at is the plumbing costs,storm water base line is always the price I watch several over the years they come in pay a price that no one else would pay do all the hard work from start then end up selling for less then they paided in the first place,the decline always starts when the $$$$and the replacement dreams turn into rapid nightmares,no different from options traders the only one that wins it the one that sells the option,most end up with zero..

The one item a very few seem to look at is the plumbing costs,storm water base line is always the price I watch several over the years they come in pay a price that no one else would pay do all the hard work from start then end up selling for less then they paided in the first place,the decline always starts when the $$$$and the replacement dreams turn into rapid nightmares,no different from options traders the only one that wins it the one that sells the option,most end up with zero..

Huh?

It's not talked about much because very few understand how it works

Huh?

It's not talked about much because very few understand how it works
Well then you ring up the local council buy a plumbing plan that goes back 50 years and find someone to explain the layout,most people think the plumbing side is just turning on the tap,but once you break down the numbers the water side of things can take up a very % of the total building roughin costs,the same if the power poles don't line up or are not set right by the new local power supply every mistake ends up in blow out costs that in the end you carry..imho..

Well then you ring up the local council buy a plumbing plan that goes back 50 years and find someone to explain the layout,most people think the plumbing side is just turning on the tap,but once you break down the numbers the water side of things can take up a very % of the total building roughin costs,the same if the power poles don't line up or are not set right by the new local power supply every mistake ends up in blow out costs that in the end you carry..imho..

Plumbing and concrete......it's a large % of the total construction costs.

Always determine where the legal point of discharge is by asking the council.

Oscar

Plumbing and concrete......it's a large % of the total construction costs.

Always determine where the legal point of discharge is by asking the council.

Oscar

Hi Oscar
Can you elaborate more on this issue? What things to ask for when talking to council and what we need to avoid in a development site? Thanks

i know oc1 offers advice on development projects in Melbourne. Does anyone know of anyone in Sydney who does the similar thing ?

consult on development project suitability and personal experiences if you have used them ??

I do feasibility studies from a planning perspective including infrastructure etc but I don't look at the economic side of things. Not my area.

Currently working on a few subdivisions out in the Riverstone and Schofields growth areas plus some large townhouse developments.

Happy to have a chat and run through the basics.

For smaller developments...

- where are the driveways of this house and neighbouring? some councils don't like too many crossovers but can tolerate if you extend neighbour's one.
- how tall are the neighbouring houses?
- sheds/garages in back yards = good news in parts of Vic as you can only go one storey higher than "prevailing"
- is the house really ugly so neighbours will be happy to get rid of it and not object as much?

Back