What was YOUR upbringing like?

I used to love Marty Feldman when I was a kid. He had such funny eyes.

My mum has a knock-off resin type (looks like marble - good quality resin :p) statue of Venus or one of the goddesses. She is naked but covering her lower half with a sheet while her breasts are exposed.

Problem is, whoever carved her gave her Marty Feldman breasts. They are both heading sideways at a rather peculiar angle.

I have teased her about the statue for a while, and recently my dad knocked her over and her head fell off. I suggested utilising the rubbish bin :D but mum wanted it glued if possible.

Hubby glued her and while he was in the garage doing that, he gave her some breast surgery. Her "girls" are now pointing in the right direction :D.

I used to love Marty Feldman when I was a kid. He had such funny eyes.
I had always wondered about those eyes. According to Wikipedia they were as a result of "a thyroid condition known as Graves Disease". So I guess he turned a negative into a positive.

Wylie, your statue apparently needed a "sheepdog" bra. Rounds them up, and points them in the right direction :D.

What an absolutely wonderful thread.

I was born to a single mother - 16 years old. She had the good sense to move back in with my grandmother and the 2 of them raised me between them until I was about 6. They made for wonderful parents and I never wanted for anything even though they would have been quite poor. My mother started working in a television station running electrical cables and my grandmother was a clerk.

My mother then married a young bloke and they bounced around alot. I consider him my dad. I clearly remember the landlord (who lived across the street from our house) putting up a sign on our rented front lawn promoting a conservative politician in town. My parents didn't approve and made sure it kept falling over. Sometimes they couldn't pay their rent so they would do repairs on the property instead - painting the interior and exterior. I thought how rich our landlords - the Schmidts - must be to own 2 houses.

My mum and my dad had no real education. Im very proud of my dad for the way that he worked his way up the ranks to become quite a successful white collar professional. Along the way they made sure I went to university. But they never understood how money worked - my dad said "its just numbers on paper". They made good money but blew it on designer lamps, new cars and overseas holidays. All on finance and always working towards getting the "big deal" that would allow them to retire.

I graduated from university in 2000 and started getting a bit of a financial education through my work - understanding how deals were made and financed. I then moved to Australia and met my girlfriend (soon to be wife). She was 21 years old and had saved, from part time work while she was at uni, almost $50,000. I still dont really understand how she did it. It was 2004 and the only thing I owned was a car with a car loan against it.

We had a lot of long talks and she worried about my attitude to money. Afraid I would blow it all. She also had a copy of Rich Dad Poor Dad which she left lying around under the coffee table which I read one day.

She pressured me into buying our PPOR. It was a unit in the inner ring of Brisbane and capital growth has been very kind. I caught the bug and read everything I could get my hands on. The plan is to buy 1 IP per year and so far, so good. And she calls me tight which I take as a compliment coming from her...

I talked my father - who still says money is just numbers on paper - into buying his first IP by forcing him to sit down with me for a couple of hours so I could show him some excel modelling. He is now thinking about ways he can buy a second.

As for myself I am really just getting off the ground. But I have a good wage and am determined that this will be the water that nourishes the crops. I am very lucky in that my girlfriend is highly supportive of this as well. She will graduate with an accounting degree in another 12 months and then we will really hit our stride. We are planning to hold off having kids until she is in her early 30s so that we can cover as much ground as possible in that time.

These are very exciting times and I have much to be thankful for. Not the least having stumbled across this forum and you lot :D

Last edited:
Great post boomtown!

Although I would seriously think again about leaving kids until your wife is in her 30's (and PC or not, it's your wife's age that matters). If you have trouble, it can be years of trying, miscarriages, tests, medical assistance etc and before you know it she's over 40, making it that much harder.

I've seen this happen twice to people I know and it's really sad. They thought they had all the time in the world.

I never intended to have kids early, but they started arriving when we were in our mid-20's and it's been such a blessing I would recommend it to anyone. My wife did another degree while looking after the little ones and now they're all at school she's returned to work and pulling down the $$$.

Yes its a big call. I worked on the front desk in a sperm bank :eek: when I was in university as a part time job so I know Im ok. Fringe benefit you see :D

Adoption is our back up plan but yes I understand that can be very messy. In any event she is only 25 now so we can afford to wait for 5 years and then make a decision I think. Even 4 years would put her at 29 which I think its still relatively young.

In any event she is only 25 now so we can afford to wait for 5 years and then make a decision I think. Even 4 years would put her at 29 which I think its still relatively young.

Yeah, we're planning on waiting until my fiance is 30 as well. We're conscious that we don't want to leave it longer than that though.

We had our first baby when I was 28 and I planned on pumping out another two very soon after. Trouble was that mother nature had other plans.

I breastfed each baby for two years and with no birth control (except breastfeeding, which cannot be counted on as birth control - except for me :p) just could not conceive. Once I finished feeding, I conceived again. I had friends who were pregnant within a few months, even while breastfeeding.

Anyway, three years gap and then another four years. Don't assume you can push our three babies in four years, because it might not happen like that.

I was 35 when I had the last one, when I had planned to have three close together. Just something to keep in mind. Mind you, having a gap is good in lots of ways. For one thing, they can dress themselves and help mum with the littlies.

Amazing thread, just loved the stories so far.

I was born toward the end of the war in England, my father was in the RAF flying over the Burma road. My mother and I lived with Dad's family, moving from one sister to another, avoiding the London bombs, being evacuated to various country locations. Dad came home very rarely, of course, but as a result of one visit my sister was born.

At the end of the war when Dad was demobbed we were housed in an asbestos bungalow in the heart of London, on what was a bomb site. The toilet was in the small back garden, we did not have a bathroom, baths had to be taken at the public baths,

When I was 7 my youngest sister was born and we were subsequently rehoused into a real brick house with its own bathroom. We lived in various council supplied houses, I realise now that we were poor but I did not know it then because everyone was. My Dad made all our clothes, usually buying bulk material at the market, so the 3 of us were always dressed the same, he would get one pattern and simply adjust it to fit the 3 of us. He was the youngest of 7, with 5 sisters before him all of which were tailors or dressmakers who had taught him how to make clothes. His only brother was killed in the war. Dad retrained as a cabinet maker/wood machinist as he could not see a future in the aeronautics industry once the war was over!!

I left school at 16 after studying commercial subjects and took a job as a junior shorthand typist working in central london for the grand sum of 4 pound 13 shillings and 4 pence, about $10 our money per week.

At 17 I decided I needed to leave England for a better life, and decided to emigrate to Australia. Originally I was coming here alone but eventually my Dad decided it would be good for the whole family to come. So in December 1960 at 17 years of age I sailed with my family to Brisbane, landing right in the middle of the credit squeeze. My Dad had a guaranteed job but a week after arriving the company went bankrupt. So Dad and I left Mum and the other two girls in Brisbane and came down in the train to Melbourne, sitting up all the way, with a 12 hour wait in Sydney.

We rented a house in Brunswick and brought down Mum and the 2 girls from Brisbane. The 4 of us that were able to work managed to get employment with my youngest sister still at school. Mum never wanted to emigrate and missed her lovely council house and all the furniture and car etc., she had been used to in the UK and just did not settle. So after 2 years they all returned to the UK but at 19 I stayed and married Alan, he was 20 and we had known each other for 6 months!!

When we married we owed my parents 30 pounds. They returned to the UK straight after the wedding, with Alan and I renting a very small house in Templestowe behind a shop. Both of us were working but on very low wages, as full wages did not kick in until 21. We were determined to buy a block of land and have a house built, as did all young couples in 1963. We found a block of land for 1075 pounds, we had saved half and paid the other half off over 2 years, Alan earnt 19 pound and I earnt 14, we both did extra part time jobs to raise the money. We looked around to have a house built on the land but could see it was going to take forever to pay for it, so decided we would design our own house and build it ourselves over weekends. I was a shorthand/typist and Alan was a Commercial artist.

Thats what we did, we worked after work every night building frames in our little rented house and put them on the roof of our little simca and drove them over each weekend. We bought a cement mixer (which I still have) and laid our own floor. It took us 2 years to get it to the stage where we could move in, it certainly wasn't finished but was JUST liveable. I remember well having a shower with the noggins all around, where we could rest our soap. Our son was born in 1966 to a very empty house with concrete floors and some walls missing.

By 1967 we were 24 and owned our first house, we realised that we had been saving very hard but were at risk of spending that money, so bought a second block of land and designed two units to go on it, unfortunately the council regulations changed in the time we were saving up to build and we were refused our permit, we appealed etc but decided to build a house anyway. At the time hand made bricks were free to anyone who would pay for the cartage, so we paid for loads and loads of them to be delivered to our block of land and built the house I now live in with them. It took Alan some years to build the house at weekends laying thousands of bricks but at the end of it we moved in and owned both houses, renting out the first one.

At this point we went over to the UK to spend 3 months living near my family so that our son could get to know his grandparents and aunts. On our return we moved into the new house, which was just the first stage of the house and from then we gradually built the second stage. We realised that we needed to get a 3rd property very quickly, or the money would be swallowed up in our extension so put a deposit on a 1 bedroom flat in Thornbury, as it was all we could afford while building and paying for the extension on the house.

By the time the house was finished we had paid for the flat but had a lot of trouble renting it, as no one wanted to live in a 1 bedroom flat in Thornbury - a bit different now!!! So we sold it and used the money as a deposit to buy a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house at the grand sum of $93,400. I still have that house. From there, whenever paid off a house we bought another.

By this stage I had returned to Uni at night, whilst working full time to obtain a Degree and Alan was working 4 days a week in a studio in Carlton to give him a day a week to work on the houses.

I won't go into all the purchases we made from then on but when Alan died in 2005 we had 16 properties with debt on one. The original properties have escalated in value. I have now started to sell down and invest elsewhere. I thank my lucky stars for my good fortune in emigrating and meeting a like minded individual, we simply clicked and the investing was just automatic it was never a concious decision, it was just something we knew we had to do.

My parents returned to the UK and purchased a house. They did in fact sell and return to Australia many times, eventually settling in the UK because both my sisters were married by then with children.

I am sorry this is so long winded :) but it is covering a very long period of time

Regards
Chris

Seriously amazing alot of the stories. So many people have done so well. Not just in terms of what they have to show today but to have what they do have after the start and options many were given. Well done :D

My upbringing was ok. Mum a legal secretary/office manager and dad a tradesman. They were never investors as the old man stresses tooo much. Mum would like to have but just wasnt worth the stress, the one IP they did have was causing dad. We had a house in western suburbs of sydney they owned early on due to extra payments they were making. We could only afford old crappy cars but cloths were always on our backs and food always nice and hot each night :) They always said we had to do something after school. The only 2 options were uni or a trade. They knew from early days I was no student and sure enough became a tradesman. My brother always the student went on to become a very good high school maths teacher (head maths teacher by the age of 30)

Mum and dad upgraded the family home once we moved out. They now have a nice home here on the coast and do ok in life. Love there only grandchild and 2nd on the way. Thats the reason they live, there family is everything which was always made clear to us that nothing is as important as loving family, everything else is a bonus.

My brother has a gorgeous little son and a great wife also a teacher. At times I just get so angry that they have no interest in investing. They could do so much with the money they are on but each to there own.

I met my wife at work one day. Im an air con guy and was doing air con repairs in her building one day and caught her eye across the room. Anyway asked her out and was engaged 4 months later and married a yr later. 6 yrs on now and we are expecting our 1st child on the 26th Dec 08. My wifes family are hard working people. Maltesse people with lots of chicken farms and plenty of land :D. Her dad never into it but has a couple of property that he's done well out of. My wife is very inteligent and had the marks to study law at uni but her family encouraged her to get a job instead. Bit of a shame but glad she did, meeting her has made life incredable. She is all for the investments and happy to come along for the ride. She works her butt off at a large accounting firm and they have rewarded her hard work which is great to see. She has always felt she didnt contribute enough as I was on better $$$ but I always made it clear that she contibutes SO much. Her hard work paid off as she now does ok on the $$$ side as well which has made her feel better.

Anyhow thats a bit about me.

Great read everyone. Really interesting.

Cheers Jayro!

loved reading everyones upbringing..

im from a country thats seen nothing but war...i have been in aus for 10years now and looking on buying my first property at age of 26.

me and hubby started from nothing and now have some deposit to use, i sometimes do wish i had someone to guide me but thats ok..i believe it was the tough upbrining that has made me the person iam today.

Back