what wireless internet

I have broadband with tpg to a desk top computer. My daughter wants a laptop and also have internet connection.
if anyone can help I wish to know:

1. What type of product would I need for internet connection for both the main computer and the laptop. I assume some type of wireless setup.

2. What ever answer to above, can they be used at the same time.

3. What gizmo or specification should the laptop have to connect to the above (I assume wireless system).

Thanks
Scott

Sure thing yes you can do this pretty economically these days and yes they can be used at the same time.
It there are no brick walls between the computers probably DLink brand will do it.
I have a Belkin Pre N which has a greater range and goes sort of thu brick walls too.
Your laptop will need a centrino chip I think whioch picks up the signalor if not, you can buy a card which just plugs into the side of the laptop.I am no computer expert so I suggest proper advice of course.

My son (last week) bought a laptop. We have Optus cable broadband (sorry, don't know what tpg is).

He bought a Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless Router (WGR614) from Harvey Norman (cost $109 reduced to $79). If you have a modem separate from the computer, the cable from the wall goes into the modem, another cable goes from the modem into the router. You may need to purchase a cheap ethernet cable.

If the laptop has Centrino Mobile Technology (ask the retailer) then that is all you need. My son's laptop did not have this and he needed to buy a Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless PC Card (WG511) from Harvey Norman (cost $50).

The card goes into a slot in the side of the laptop, usually filled with a piece of plastic. You push a button and the piece of plastic pops out, and the card goes in.

We can both use the internet at the same time.

There is an interactive set up CD that is very clear. The Harvey Norman people told him this is the cheapest option.

If the laptop is a newish model, there should be no problems.

All of the above is mostly gobbledy gook to me. Hope it makes sense to you (or at least your daughter).

Hope this helps, Wylie.

Hi Scott...

At the back of the external modem you have USD and DSL port, you plug your computer main computer lead into one and your laptop into the other. I have broadband with Optus and its a standard SpeedStream modem which has both the USD and DSL ports and allows me to use both my lap top and main computer at the same time if I wish...

Hope this helps abit.

Sam's Girl

Oh...if you do only have one connection all you have to do is buy a network hub which is quite cheap and you're ready to go. :)

S' girl

GIDDO said:
Sure thing yes you can do this pretty economically these days and yes they can be used at the same time.
It there are no brick walls between the computers probably DLink brand will do it.
I have a Belkin Pre N which has a greater range and goes sort of thu brick walls too.
Your laptop will need a centrino chip I think whioch picks up the signalor if not, you can buy a card which just plugs into the side of the laptop.I am no computer expert so I suggest proper advice of course.

Ramble follows: Ifyou want further detailed info please pm me - im not an it nerd - but consider myself above average.

Replying because I did the same thing in the last couple of days. Raised the issue about D link and brick walls because I read about it here and the guy from Dick Smith said ""nah"". Bought a "D Link DI 524 Airplus G" $102 and couldn't fault it. As it was explained to me the 54 means 54 megabtyes,whereas my broadbrand internet is 512 kbs.

End result is that the 54mbps connection that we have between 2 computers is about 100 times faster than the broadband conection of 512KB we have. The speed of connection thing is only important if you wanted to transfer for example a whole 2 hour movie from one comp to the other. If it is just shared internet you want then even the most basic/budget computers will do the job and they will also run MS Office - one of the largest programmes around with no problem.

After having done all that today, spouse is blown away by the fact that she can sit in front of TV watching Oz Open Tennis and keep track of untelivsed matchs via the internet on the laptop sitting on her lap. Meanwhile, I surf PI forums to increase my knowledge on the subject

NetGear

Big W is selling Netgear Wireless Routers for $98.

They're OK for home use, I've found.

If your laptop already has a wireless receiver/sender inbuilt (many new ones do) then you should be able to plug your wireless router in the mix and hey presto.

old config looked like this:

ADSL --> Modem --> computer

Config looks like this now

ADSL --> Modem --> new wireless Router --> Computer(s)

Make sure you tighten it down though in terms of security. If you want to know more see here:
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23372
Cheers
a/c

I've got a Netcomm 4 port wireless router which works okay. Cost $99. Can connect up to four PCs with cables and another 250-odd via wireless (although there's only MAC security space for I think 10 entries).

More than enough for my house :D

Cheers,
GP

Back