What would you do.....................?

Hey Guy’s

I’ve recently purchased (still waiting for settlement) an 1880’s symmetrical cottage.

I’m just throwing some ideas around for the best design and use of space.

My current plan is to remove the rear lean-to and bring the house back to its original 4 walls.

Bring the bathroom inside and install bi-fold doors at the rear of the house.

I’d also like to open up the living area by opening the doorways and walls up.

Few issues:
Chimney in kitchen restricts kitchen layout
Lack of windows in kitchen and interaction with kitchen layout.
Laundry in cupboard.

What would you guys do?

Attachments

• Original Plans.gif
    Original Plans.gif
    33.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Updated Plans.JPG
    Updated Plans.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 102
  • bathroom.JPG
    bathroom.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 95
I was thinking what you were thinking with your middle image, but where has the bathroom gone?

Opening up the whole back of the house is the way. I was going to suggest you tuck the bathroom behind the kitchen in the top left hand corner and open up the whole place, with maybe a covered deck from the living area.

Wylie

I'm currently going through a very similair exercise.

Question is what is your budget, and is this for an IP or a PPOR?

I was thinking what you were thinking with your middle image, but where has the bathroom gone?

Opening up the whole back of the house is the way. I was going to suggest you tuck the bathroom behind the kitchen in the top left hand corner and open up the whole place, with maybe a covered deck from the living area.

Wylie

Bathroom is the thin long bit (1450mm x 3650mm) behing the first bedroom on the right.

We are thinking a decking out the back (full length) which is level with the house. This would allow good use of the bi-fold doors out the back and great a nice open feel in summer.

I'm currently going through a very similair exercise.

Question is what is your budget, and is this for an IP or a PPOR?

PPOR at this stage.

Im going to as much DIY as I can.

I'm budgeting about 8-10k for the kitchen using Laminex Readikit Modular Kitchen Solutions.

Approximatly 10k for all the demo work and cutouts.

Plus 5k for any new doors and windows. (Hopefully secure at trade prices)

Bathroom another 10k.

Brother is electrician so that will be free.

DIY the reverse cycle air conditioner. Budget is 4.5k or 6k if I get a 4.5h installed by the pro's.

Rest will go on floor sanding, plaster, DIY painting and other random stuff.

Hi pski

I think the bathroom needs to be wider at least 1.8m, I am currently doing a reno where the bathroom is 1.8 wide, I would not go any smaller. no room to move.

Check your local Health regulations re laundries in kitchens, I checked here not allowed, has to be a seperate room.

I would keep the old bathroom and convert to laundry, put the kitchen pantry (store) / linen etc in there also. You still have the area to the right of this room for the alfresco.

Thanks Celeste

Unfortunately the old bathroom is a weatherboard extension that looks ugly.
I will definitely checkout the local regulations on laundries

Other option is just to extend the house out back by another 20 - 30sqm. This would turn the place into a 4 bedroom property. I'm not sure of the cost but it might be worth extending out back as when it comes time to sell I will more.

Back