what's in a name

I was washing my hands in the restroom of a shopping centre, annoying kid scattering water around (and he was old enough to behave better, not a toddler but say 7 or 8) - surprised to hear his mum admonish him "Now Zero, don't do that darling, look you're getting water on that lady, stop that now please Zero" Huh? Zero? what kind of name is that for a kid? It suited him I guess. But really, Zero as a name? What kind of negative message does that send a child? Suppose she spells it Xero to be oh so original and 'unique', which seems to be an obsession of many parents !
By the way this was in a suburb that the residents like to consider so upper class and fancy.

Reminds me of when George from Seinfeld wanted to name his child Seven bahaha.

Out of all the numbers I think I like Zero the best as a name!

Making up names is the worst things ever. Some of the bogan names you see these days are just terrible.

Anything where the name is invented, or has a spelling that is made up, is a rotten thing to do to a kid.

Z's and X's are 'cool'. I used to know someone with a Zenith, and one of my nephews has a regular name with an stray X which is going to destine him to a life of repeating how his name is spelt. The name was the #2 name with 500 odd kids with that name in SA the year he was born so there's going to be 5 of the same name in his classes ... but there were only 3 or 4 that year with his spelling. And the #1 name that year was just the short form of the same name. We know so many other boys with the same name that at one point my daughter thought ALL little boys had that name.

Misspellings of names to make them unique drives me up the wall. My parents were foolish enough to give me not one, but TWO names that have both male and female spelling variants and I always, always have to go "with a Y" and "with an E" when I give my name out to insurance companies and whatnot. I can't imagine the horror of having a name like Kylie but it's spelt Khyleigh.

What's 'unique' these days, is actually giving your kid a normal, boring, common name that's spelt in its traditional form. 'Different'? 'Unique'? 'Unusual'? 'I want my brat to be an individual with his/her own identity!' Plllllllllleeeeeeeeeaaaaasssssseeeeee! When will this little phase ever end?!

There is a family up the Sunshine Coast who called their elder son RESCUE C. (Just C for the middle initial, no name). Their surname is HOPPER. So the kid is RESCUE C HOPPER.
The younger son is named RASCAL. The daughter is named CHEEKY.
Well good luck to them. They have got a lot of publicity over this, they own a business so perhaps publicity is what they want?

What's 'unique' these days, is actually giving your kid a normal, boring, common name that's spelt in its traditional form.
My two smallest anklebiters are Cassandra and Theodore - the requirements for those names were 1) three syllables (a requirement from my partner) 2) correctly spelt 3) below the top 200 popular names in SA (there's a SA government website with all the names from the births, deaths, marriages registry so very easy to check). We didn't decide on Theo's name until after he was born because there's so few boy's names that fit that criteria. Being a July 4th baby we got silly in the end :D They both have utterly dull 1 syllable middle names. Theo is one of those ridiculously cute happy smiley babies and we have to stop his big sister calling him Theodorable.

My first kid scored a name that was in a rather gruesome song on JJJ that year with the correct spelling and pronounciation, being the only name self and ex could agree on. BUT its a middle-eastern name that has a lot of popularist variations and pronounciations these days, which is what you get for having a kid too young I suppose ... it does suit her though. If in doubt she can always fall back to her correctly-spelt traditional 3 syllable middle name lol

The class list at the local playgroup is quite amusing - it reads like the top 20 names for kids that age with a couple of duplicates and mispellings. The longterm locals communicate so there are no dups with those, all the dups come from people new to the town. Considering how few people are likely to look at the top 100 baby names it fascinates me how the herd manages to collude to overwhelmingly choose from the same quite small set of names.

There is a family up the Sunshine Coast who called their elder son RESCUE C. (Just C for the middle initial, no name). Their surname is HOPPER. So the kid is RESCUE C HOPPER.
The younger son is named RASCAL. The daughter is named CHEEKY.
Well good luck to them. They have got a lot of publicity over this, they own a business so perhaps publicity is what they want?

dear god ...:eek:

I was washing my hands in the restroom of a shopping centre, annoying kid scattering water around (and he was old enough to behave better, not a toddler but say 7 or 8) - surprised to hear his mum admonish him "Now Zero, don't do that darling, look you're getting water on that lady, stop that now please Zero" Huh? Zero? what kind of name is that for a kid? It suited him I guess. But really, Zero as a name? What kind of negative message does that send a child?
No worse a messge than that to his older brother, named CARE FACTOR??!! :p

Did it occur to you it might be an ethnic name? Maybe the boy has an ethnic dad. It probably isnt 'zero' as in '0'.

Some people are funny with naming their kids. I personally prefer longer traditional names with traditional spelling.

Having said that I know alot of people hate my DD's name: Angelica. > not sure why, but people either love or hate it. My boys are Nathaniel and Sebastian - which were reasonably uncommon at the time, but I have noticed alot of little boys with the same names since. Doesn't bother me, I like the names - obviously others agree with me if they are calling their kids the same thing.

I heard of a girl named "Lee-ah"
which I assumed was pronounced Leah,
but no - it is pronounced Leedasha (Lee dash ah).

Interesting.......

Back