What's your "Jonesey"?

I call them wannabes (sp?)

This mindset is very unfortunate because it will make life hard and it wont be limited to material possessions.

Having to prove your worth to others by what you have accumulated in life must be soul destroying.

MTR:)

Last edited:
I suppose I do have "jonesy" things, but I don't do it for a comparison, I figure if I want something I'll get something that lasts.

car I'll drive till it is no longer value to maintain it, don't care about postcode and would want my kids to go to a public co-ed school.

that said I have expensive clothes but the sort that doesn't show any branding and is very subtle (you are treated well in some places when you dress the part, otherwise I wear board shorts and flip flops). I also own expensive kitchen ware (stauub, le creuset) but I bought most of it at 12% of original price.

I also have a billich painting (print) but I had to think over it for a couple of months and even then I bought it because it reminded me of the way I view life. I enjoy looking at it.

which lumia? ...

There is more than one? Goes to show how much I know.

Redwing: I had my daughter's HTC while we were holidaying overseas. I found it a bit difficult to use (but then I might find any smartphone difficult to use). My daughter didn't really like it either. My son's friend has an expensive HTC and he loves it. I thought I would try another brand. $20 a month for data and phone is cheap. Who is that with?

There is more than one? Goes to show how much I know.

Redwing: I had my daughter's HTC while we were holidaying overseas. I found it a bit difficult to use (but then I might find any smartphone difficult to use). My daughter didn't really like it either. My son's friend has an expensive HTC and he loves it. I thought I would try another brand. $20 a month for data and phone is cheap. Who is that with?

yeah, from what im even aware of there is

500, 700, 720, 800, 820, 850, 920, 925, 930, 935, 1020, 1320, 1520

and probably more!!!

Hi

I confess, I'm guilty I WAS a major "jonesy". I had the cars, the boats, the jet ski's and the waterfront home and about 5 years ago I noticed that it wasn't going to lead to long term financial security and decided to sell the lot and convert it to investments.

I got rid of the waterfront home, got rid of most of the cars, boat, jetski's and got into some investment properties and joint the somersoft forums more recently. The somersoft forums are very different to the HSV and AMG forums that I normally used to hover around.

Once I sell this last car I have I will be de-jonesied 100% once and for all and will drive around something like the new Ford Falcon that gets released late this year. I now feel like the guy at the end of the movie "Goodfella's" and now are just an every day run of the mill smuck! But at least I don't have to work anymore and will only work if I want to.:D

Did anybody say early retirement?, I think I hear someone whispering those words.

Regards,

alicudi

I didn't read the whole thread.

For me it would be houses (to a certain extent!) and nice cars.

Currently have an old holden, but thinking a 2 door audi for the next car (if my bank account ever forgives me!)

I?m the opposite when it comes to cars, I like having a small, cheap bomb. My latest cost $1000 but is very reliable (touch wood) which is the most important thing to me. I?ve never spent more than 3K on a car.

Surfboards though I like having decent one, the latest cost about the same as the car.

Jones,Jonsey?Who are they are anyway?

Imo live life as you want and enjoy it.

I'm at a stage where i'm just now content where i live and am looking at a vintage v8 or trump.

No use holding onto a cheap car,i'd rather get something that adds as same as a painting etc.

Cheers

Ours would probably be our current house. We had a lot of equity in our first home but we sold and doubled our mortgage to buy our forever home in an expensive suburb. We could have had a smaller mortgage a few kms further out and would have been paying it off quicker.

My partner also spends way too much on wine and doesnt hold back on the entertainment budget. So thats pretty frivilous.

Im at the age where my friends are all having babies. Most go for private obstetrics, even when i know finances are tight. A friend recently was disappointed about having to go back to work when her little one was about 6 months old, but if she had had her in a public hospital she could have saved 5k+ and had another month home with the baby. Im not saying private health is a waste of money, but for most people in australia i think private maternity care is a bit unnecessary.

Combing my hair, putting on socially acceptable clothes (ie. not PJs) and taking an extra shower in the morning. These don't cost any money, but they do cost time (approximately 15mins per day, which adds up to over 60 hours a year, or over 2,600 hours over the course of your working life). When I don't go to work or go out, I don't bother with any of that.

And being young, eating out is probably the most visible sign of "joneseying". I don't spend much at restaurants, but consider you can cook a meal at home for $3, it doesn't make much financial sense.

Having a shower is not keeping up with them;

Getting your whole shower/bathroom redone and telling everyone it cost $30k (or more) is.

Also known as "subliminal brag" -

Would normally be dropped into the conversation in this manner;

You: "Got the bathroom redone last month; turned out pretty good."

Friend: "Oh really?"

You: "Yeah; the b@stards wanted to sting me fifty large for it, but I got 'em down to $35k". :rolleyes:

A second shower (ie. in addition to the usual nightly one), mostly to get the "bed smell" off.

Not showering altogether is for hippies and uni students.

if you really think having a shower in the morning is keeping up with the jones' then im afraid you may have issues

Back