What's your "Jonesey"?

Not money but more the appearance of a successful 4-hour-week type lifestyle. Which is mostly true but a lot of hard work to get there and even the whole duck looks calm while paddling furiously underneath happens daily. The carefully crafted Facebook posts, photos, etc. Most people I know are doing the same with social media and it is all oneupmanship. I find the more people boast about lovely relationships the more I am also posting about perks of being single and self-employed with impulse trips to Disneyland with kiddo or deciding to have Xmas in Iceland lol. My crowd doesn't seem possession obsessed more "winning at life" ha ha.

just remember,

money can buy you expensive stuff, but not taste
money can buy you an expensive car, but not driving skills
money can buy access to class, but not class

Not really sure what this all means or the point??

I have no interest in competing, or keeping up with the Jones, seems a waste of energy to me.

Houses, trying g to keep up with SSonesey.

I'll say..hmm, household items and furniture maybe? Ones we have are quite expensive (for our age), but they last a hell lot longer than the cheapies. So if you put it as price vs. Yearly cost, the expensive ones are cheaper.

Anything I buy for my puppy could be count as one I fuss. And coffee.

One or two honest posts scattered about and then a whole heap of 'I'm not Jonesey, I don't care what others think at all'.

We all care what others think and seek validation. A lot of what we do, consciously or not, is for the benefit of others.

We can limit our level of Jonesiness or limit our exposure to the Jonesiness of others, but only a rare specimen is entirely immune to Joneseying.

One or two honest posts scattered about and then a whole heap of 'I'm not Jonesey, I don't care what others think at all'.

We all care what others think and seek validation. A lot of what we do, consciously or not, is for the benefit of others.

We can limit our level of Jonesiness or limit our exposure to the Jonesiness of others, but only a rare specimen is entirely immune to Joneseying.

Your post made me think and reflect...

Have to disagree with you there. I truly do not care what anyone thinks of me other than what I think of myself. Which made me think is why? I remember at school I wanted the cool shoes or the cool backpack and used to compare myself to others and why I wasn't as good as them or as pretty or skinny as them. I was bullied at school endlessly to the point where they almost won.

Then, one day towards the end yr 12 I had a moment where I decided to just let go and stopped trying to play their games and stopped caring what they thought or what they said. It was hard at first but then it was liberating. And still to this day do I live life only comparing myself to myself making sure I am the best person I can be. I don't need others to give me a pat on the back or give that validation that I might be doing a good job. I don't go about thinking "I want to buy a XXXXXXX because it will make so-and-so jealous" or "if I get this everyone will think I'm amazing". I am happy with who and where I am and I don't need anyone else to tell me that. I am fully accountable for my life.

Yes, I do a lot of things to benefit others though, but that's to help them and not often do I get anything out of it for myself other than the warm and fuzzy feeling that I helped someone.

If someone is successful, good on them - I'm not going to hate on them wishing it were me and wonder why are they given all the good things in life. If they want to buy a $500k Ferrari to show off with, then hey, go for it, who am I to tell you what you can and can't and should and should not do.

Anyway, I think I've done enough thinking and reflecting for the evening! :eek:

I have a 74yr old lady next door who wants to have a crack and a paramedic next door thats waiting?

Are they jones or jehovah witnesses and or keeping up with my debt?

I dunno,all i know is i'll keep up with my mortgage and will not keep up with anyone called jones or any other name,though i will keep up giving debt to my bank :)

Cheers

There must be a few of us around... and if you don't buy it... who gives a rats.:p

I don't know the Jones's so don't need anything to keep

i buy what i want with no regard to what others think. Recently I posted on Facebook that AT LAST I got a new phone and was excited. It was an iPhone 4S. Everyone said "don't you mean a 5?" No! I'm not one to pay a premium to buy the latest gadgets.

I do, however like to keep up with other investor friends who lately have been buying more houses than me! :eek:

Fifth IF i'm aloud to disagree with your post,well i do.
Personally myself i don't care what other people think nor want to follow there path.
I make my own in roads,i'm not concerned about keeping up with others.
Well that's me anyway and others that may want to follow that path for whatever reason it is,so be it.

Cheers

i buy what i want with no regard to what others think. Recently I posted on Facebook that AT LAST I got a new phone and was excited. It was an iPhone 4S. Everyone said "don't you mean a 5?" No! I'm not one to pay a premium to buy the latest gadgets.

I kept my Nokia 3310 (remember those????) so long that even Nokia itself asked me to dispose it :eek: (ok, Nokia didn't ask me that). Those days, when I catch up with friends and when they want to send me Multi Media Messages, I just show them my phone and the go, "ah, never mind" :D.

So far, I have come across two types of Jonesiness.
1. They want/have the latest and the greatest. But, they don't look down on people who don't have it. I have some friends in this category and I can truly appreciate/complement their things.

2. They want/have the latest and the greatest (I have a colleague in this category) and they look down on you. Last week, it's his new laptop. It's like "I have the newest laptop and you don't". It's annoying.

What is keeping up with the Jonesey all about anyway???

Just because you like/buy expensive coffee, clothes, wine etc. or want to live in a nice neighbourhood does not mean you are doing this to impress or keep up with anyone? Well that is what I think, what do you have to prove, and who really cares, perhaps you just happen to like these things and you can afford them and these things make you happy. All to their own.

Totally agree. Unfortunately for some they just can't get their heads around it.

What about aspiring to retire in my 40s ? Never mind about keeping up with the Jones's - is that overtaking the Jones's?

Im not ashamed to keep up with the Jones,es in the car sense.Wanted a Sandman,got it.Wanted a RT Charger,got one.Now for the XY GT.

Mine would be work recognition probably... pathetic to define yourself thus, but I'm OK with it. Plus I'm not winning so tough luck if I wasn't haha!

Apart from that, I'm not really worried about possessions or holidays etc. Every so often I feel a pang of jealousy when I read SSers who are succeeding, or other people doing stuff I'd like, but then I remember how lucky I've been and move on with my life

Not really sure what this all means or the point??

I have no interest in competing, or keeping up with the Jones, seems a waste of energy to me.

Easy point, a lot of people will buy the BMW, bigger house, go to the latest trending restaurants, drink the 'in' wine to keep up with the jonesy thinking they are trendy and cool,

the reality is that you can have all these things and it still doenst mean you are classy or whatever you are trying to acheive

Back