Where to Buy - Canberra

I know I'm going to get shot down for saying this....I love West Belconnen. :)

I've lived in Canberra 35yrs, the last 8 of which have been in Dunlop - I love it here. We have cows in paddocks over our back fence - walking trails, mini lake with bike path and bbq's. Lots of families out enjoying the fresh air.

Luckily its next to Charnwood, otherwise everyone would want to live here ;)

Ainslie is a great suburb. I really like it. I drive through there basically every morning, lovely tree lined streets, right amongst nature, full of king parrots and fat crimson rosellas. It's pretty pumped price wise though lately, I don't see it as representing "value" any more. I'd look at Watson and Hackett which are close by also surrounded by nature but heaps better value and lots of renovations going on so the areas are picking up.

Already been looking in Hackett, Watson and Downer... as well as Queanbeyan and Jerrabombera, and Narrabundah, Garran, Isaacs and so on. As you can see, I like a distinct focus hahaha

I know I'm going to get shot down for saying this....I love West Belconnen. :)
Nothing wrong with Belco :)

I agree. We used to live in Nicholls which virtually felt like the last suburb in ACT (similar to Dunlop I'd imagine). The walking trails, lakes and general "space" was really nice.

Cheers

Jamie

Already been looking in Hackett, Watson and Downer... as well as Queanbeyan and Jerrabombera, and Narrabundah, Garran, Isaacs and so on. As you can see, I like a distinct focus hahaha

I have always lived in Canberra (mixed up with ten years overseas), the last seven I've lived in Narrabundah, and I am about to settle on my first house - just around the corner. It will be an IP for the first three years (moving overseas) and then my ppor after that, unless I get something else.

Not sure where you are working, but if its south side I can recommend Narrabundah, its full of beautiful old places and tree-lined streets. lots of boguns and lots of toffs and all in-between, its an interesting mix - like most of canberra :D

Narrabundah is very nice. A tad on the pricey side though.
Are we just talking about the pricey side? Or has the cheapo side now gone respectable?

Some years ago we had a chance for a small fibro in the dodgiest part of Narra. With hindsight ...

You'd have to watch out for the Narrabundah tyre slasher too.

yes, we have a higher class of 'bogun' in 'bundah :D

i have personally had my tyres slashed by the infamous slasher - actually helped me sell my car yesterday, I put it in the ad !

There are about three sides to this suburb - the very flash bit next to Griffith, the dodgier bit close to Fyshwick - all the little circuits, and the bit closer to the shop and the catholic primary, which is where I am...median price is higher than the rest of Canberra i think. Prices have about quadupled in the past ten years :eek:

Hello all,
As you've probably noticed, I've been trawling for mentions of Canberra or ACT in past threads. I'm heading back to Canberra after 6 years away, this time hopefully with a bit more money, and I'm looking for advice on areas to buy.

I'd love to buy inner areas, because that would allow me to only have one vehicle, but willing to consider outer areas. I have a dog, so don't want apartments, and I prefer properties with no strata costs so freehold is best.

I could reasonably comfortably go up to about $550k, and I'm thinking a property with renovations required, but good for longer term rental (when I get moved on again).

Thoughts?

Hey have you bought yet? Interested to see where you ended up

apparently the Narrabundah Slasher has been upsetting motorists here for the last ten years or so. If you dare to park on the road or your nature strip, your tyres have had it. I don't have a carport or garage, so have just had to hope it won't happen.

Check out the riot-act for more info!

The "Bundah Bogun" can be found sipping lattes in footy shorts and thongs.

What's this tyre slasher business? I must be living under a rock.

Cheers

Jamie

The Bundah Bogun contribute greatly to Narrabundah being the suburb with the highest average household income.

I believe it has a high number of tradespeople. :)

What do you think the prospects are in Bruce (old part) and Belconnen (town centre area)? We're thinking about getting our first IP in the latter because rental returns are quite good (covers IO loan repayments) but a bit worried about possible oversupply due all the new apartment developments happening here.

I would say a huge oversupply in Belco town centre. I hear one of the proposed new high rises is not getting the presales it needs to proceed- there's already been too many sales otp. When the one in Emu Bank all comes on line there will be a very big rental oversupply IMO.

That may be the development we purchased in. It has been delayed but we have been told building will commence in January. Not sure how true that is but we'll see I guess. I purchased that as a PPOR to live in for several years. I hope that we'll have luck renting it out in the future as it is quite a unique floor plan (2 bedroom, 1 bathroom, 1 car space, 1 standard balcony plus an "winter terrace" belcony which is inside the building and overlooks the garden podium). With the winter terrace included, it has a total floor plan of just under 100m2 which is significantly bigger than most 2 bedders in the area.

I am a bit partial to Belco town centre as I work in the area and can walk to work (and the shops and other amenities) which is so convenient. Do you have any suggestions for other areas in Canberra that I could buy an IP for under 350k with a low vacancy rate and rent high enough that it'd cover the IO repayments? I've done a bit of research on allhomes and can't really see anything that'd work with a small deposit.

Back