Where to get Cheap/Wholesale Materials/Goods for renovations?

Hello All,

I've run the searches but only found a limited amount of info on this topic. I live in Sydney so the Sydney (or nearby locations like Wollongong) area is my location of focus.

I recently had a guy (my physio) tell me there was a place in Wetherill Park (Sydney west) that sold kitchens and other building materials really cheap. The way he explained it was that the developers buy a surplus of kitchens etc for their projects and always have some left over which they get rid of really cheaply. Example, a developer builds a development comprising of 60 residences. They buy the kitchens for the development on mass and in order to provide some choice for those who buy the residences they might buy three different types of kitchen. They buy say 25 of each kitchen to try and cover peoples personal tastes (ie there wont be the exact right number of people that want each kitchen). The kitchens that are left over get off loaded cheaply afterwards.

The person I spoke to said he had renovated his home and picked up a good quality kitchen he valued around the 10k mark roughly for $600. Trouble is he couldn't remember the name of the place at the time. I'll have to chase him up on that one.

I've since searched the net and haven't found any such places. Although there do seem to be auction places (like Laws Auctions) that auction everything from kitchens etc to whitegoods.

So my questions are;
- Does anyone know of any places like the one described by my physio?
- Are there any other places, methods, books/magazines etc I should look for that would help in this area (discount materials/goods for renovations)? (I'm aware of the "Sydney Renovating Guide" by universal magazines that I found in one of Ruby's old posts).
- Do the auction places actually save you alot of money? Are they worth going to?

Thanks for your help,

MF

MF35,

There's lots of different avenues for cheap prices

- Auctions
- Trading Post
- Tips
- Network of friends who look for internal giveaways/low cost supplies advertised inside their companies
- Closing down sales (in papers)
- Talking to suppliers about their seconds
- Speaking to tradespeople
- Haunting demolition sites (and asking for things they would otherwise throw away)
- Junk shops

I actually find that the issue is not cheap prices, but getting exactly the right bits. You need to work out what you need ASAP and then give a good leadtime for locating the right bit - then have an emergency back-up if you NEED IT NOW to move forward :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

In Brisbane Cam Brown Auctions has renovators Auctions one week and builders the next. renovators Ausctions are all the non-structural stuff like bathrooms, kitchens, appliances etc and the builders is all your timber and sheeting etc.

Great if you know you're prices.

Can't help in Sydney, Sorry

Darryl

Originally posted by RPI
In Brisbane Cam Brown Auctions has renovators Auctions one week and builders the next.

Sydney has this at the Moorebank auctions....and if you offer a decent price (at reserve usually) prior to the auction you can buy early.

We have a new kitchen, some new doors, new vanities and other bits & pieces in our current house that we bought there :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

From Saturdays Courier Mail

Cam Brown Auctions
203 Lavarack Avenue, Eagle Farm
www.cambrownauctions.com.au
Every Fortnight
Wednesday 17th December at 9:30am

More auctions available on the back page of Saturdays Business section.

Hope this helps the Brisbane people

Thanks

Matt

Hi MF,
I sure do think he's talking about Laws Auctions.
I've purchased 3 brand new laminate kitchens from there on different occasions around $1000 - $1200.
Also granite kitchens available for around $2500!
eg If there is 3 x 18 door granite kitchens on the day, the top bidder gets first choice of colour and 2 underbidders can take either of the other two available at same price.
Heaps of bathroom vanities, taps, sinks, whitegoods with warranty, stainless steel appliances etc
Check out their website...
http://www.lawsauctions.com.au
There is also Grays auctions...
http://www.graysonline.com.au
but Laws is better IMHO.
Cheers,
Crystal

You could also look in your local papers at Demolition sales.

Often you will pick up fairly new kitchens, bathrooms etc of a property that was recently rennovated, then put on the market, but the new owner had decided to knock it down.

I purchased the entire windows, flyscreens, sliding doors, internal doors, shower screen, bathroom mirror from a house for $600 delivered. The demolishers removed it all and delivered it.

Saved me thousands!! Spent 5 weeks rennovating this old beachside dump we just purchased and got the property revalued at $150K more than we purchased it.
;)

Very happy

BUNDY

Sorry, digging up and old post....

Does anyone know places for whitegoods in Melbourne? Dishwasher in one of our properties gone bung......

Cheers,

The Y-man

Back