where will the Chinese buy in Perth

Hi All,

Just watched the documentary Red Obsession which talks about the Chinese and their gradual increase in Red Wine consumption and how that this consumption is affecting global markets.....

I have also noted the increased competitiveness in house buying as more Chinese are buying into Western/central Sydney.....

For the record I am more than proud of the Chinese buying and settling in Australia and think the country is a better place for the many people we have living here from different cultures and backgrounds.

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what Perth suburbs might be affected as they continue to buy up residential land and housing across Australia....

A quick look at some stats suggest that 1600 Chinese have moved into the City of Canning (COC) over the last 12 months.... The COC include suburbs such as St James, Queens Park, Cannington, Wilson, Parkwood, Riverton, Shelley, Rossmoyne, Willeton and Canning Vale.

The City of Stirling is also affected to a lesser extent (600).

The above suburbs of the (COC) probably do not surprise many people as a few would be familiar with the schools and demographics of this area.

However, maybe some on here would have some ideas about why one of these suburbs might outperform the others.....

I am going to keep delving into this a little more and do some further research but yeah just thought I would throw it out there.....

On a totally different subject... The Chinese changing their living habits i.e. living closer to the cities and are increasing their consumption of daily items such as cars, air conditioners, red wine..... What other products do you think will be affected to this type of degree????

Cheers for any thoughts or comments.

Interesting question. I was led to believe that Chinese families were spending money on high end sydney RE. Anecdotally the higher end >$1m does not seem awash with Chinese investors here. I would certainly welcome them. The COC suburbs mentioned, while not bad, are not perths most desirable. Rossmoyne SHS suburbs excluded.

On a totally different subject... The Chinese changing their living habits i.e. living closer to the cities and are increasing their consumption of daily items such as cars, air conditioners, red wine..... What other products do you think will be affected to this type of degree????

Cheers for any thoughts or comments.

Pharmaceuticals. particularly those treating lifestyle related disease. $$$$$$:)

Chinese will buy where there are other chinese.

On the other note, "The Chinese changing their living habits"
Are you suggesting chinese were otherwise? and only now change to driving cars and using AC's?

Anecdotally from my own point of view, Perth isn't yet a popular spot for either living or property investment by many mainland chinese.

The exception are those with business interests in WA/Perth that require them to move and live here.

The eastern states are still the preferred target for purchases all other things being equal. Perth is still seen to be too far away and hard to travel to and from compared to Sydney or Melbourne.

That said, the ones that I have heard about have purchased around Churchlands, Mount Claremont, Applecross and Rossmoyne. The popular high school zones remain popular and at a guess, will probably be the first places to "boom" if there is a sudden influx of chinese money.

In the main south of the river.

Apparently "Asian" suburbs, are Rossmoyne, Willetton, Parkwood, Cannington, Bullcreek, Applecross, Riverton areas.

Also, seems like many think that all Chinese people are wealthy, not necessarily the case.

Hi All,

When I was visiting Indonesia with some wealthy local friends, we visited/met some of their family.

They had started businesses around high end luxuries. Random things like, swallow-bird saliva drinks for $100 a glass or something. It was a huge farm dedicated to different things all for the growing Chinese prestige market (or so they told me).

I guess when there is money to throw around, you can only outdo your neighbor with so many cars before you have to start drinking bird-spit to prove you have money to burn.

Similarly I recall reading with indias growing middle class, the car industry was growing rapidly.

I guess when there is money to throw around, you can only outdo your neighbor with so many cars before you have to start drinking bird-spit to prove you have money to burn..

Correction, bird nest is consumed in Asia/China not on the basis on "showing off to your neighbours", but rather medicinal purposes which has been going on for over 500 years in history

for the OP, Dalkeith is the choice of suburb for the well healed foreign buyers. I recall the east perth redevelopment was a ghost town when first built as it was owned by absentee landlords, not sure if that has changed. It use to be that you spent a mill on the block, a mill on the house and sold it to the chinese for $3m, however the blocks have gone up substantially since then. Or in the case of the Oswals you half build a $70m mansion then flee the country!

Correction, bird nest is consumed in Asia/China not on the basis on "showing off to your neighbours", but rather medicinal purposes which has been going on for over 500 years in history

Same like shark fin.. What a waste of money and eco system too bad !!!

interestingly this thread turns into wildlife conservation:eek:

BTW, how about this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_extinct_animals_of_Australia
Following is a complete list of Australian animal extinctions from 1788 to the present. There are 23 birds, 4 frogs, and 27 mammal species or subspecies strongly believed to have become extinct since European settlement of Australia.

is there a similar list pre 1788? occupants prior to white settlement were environmental vandals

Hey Thatbum,

Just completely off topic I noticed the amount of posts you made sits at '444'.

This is the worst possible number for Chinese lol. means triple death.

Don't know why I bring this up..just caught my eye while were discussing the Chinese.

Cheers

Sam

Back