Is our economy

• Is about to boom

Votes: 21 11.9%
  • or completely stuffed and worse to come

Votes: 39 22.2%
  • Going to be as flat as anything

Votes: 116 65.9%

• Total voters
My rumour mill tells me there was a vacancy for a Magistrate's position (Gladstone I think) advertised. 81 Barristers applied for it. That's about 10% of the barristers in Qld I reckon.

BHP posts $US8.1bn profit -18.2.2014

http://www.couriermail.com.au/business/companies/bhp-posts-us81bn-profit/story-fnkjk9kn-1226830372606 - AAP

"RESOURCES giant BHP Billiton has increased half year net profit by 83 per cent to a better-than-expected $US8.1 billion ($A8.96 billion)...

The commitment we made 18 months ago to deliver more tonnes and more barrels from our existing infrastructure at a lower unit cost is delivering tangible results...

The reduction in costs contributed to a 65 per cent increase in net operating cash flow, by $US7.8 billion to $US11.9 billion. The profit was marked by a large jump in iron ore earnings and a fall in petroleum profit.

Iron ore earnings jumped by more than 35 per cent to $US6.5 billion on the back of higher production and prices..."

Don't know the answer to that one.

One solution I know of - get waaay tougher on welfare recipients and cull a few billion bucks out of that lot each year...plenty of freeloaders to investigate, but it's all paper tiger stuff, I suspect..

They sit around and get freebies left and right, while folks like me who go hammer and tong to try and better myself cop it up the blurter.

Maybe this should be on the First World Prob thread? :D

I had a heap of dole bludgers at one of my share houses for a while there. One of them came home one day bragging to their friends that they got a doctor to write him a medical certificate saying he was depressed. So he no longer had to apply for jobs in order to recieve the dole. I think he celebrated by smoking a whole heap of pot that he bought with his dole money.

I have a mate who plays computer games all day and can't be bothered getting a job, so he is on the dole as well. His just had a birthday, I'm going to tell him his birthday present from me is my tax dollars he is wasting.

I wonder why our Government is broke?

I had a heap of dole bludgers at one of my share houses for a while there. One of them came home one day bragging to their friends that they got a doctor to write him a medical certificate saying he was depressed. So he no longer had to apply for jobs in order to recieve the dole. I think he celebrated by smoking a whole heap of pot that he bought with his dole money.

I have a mate who plays computer games all day and can't be bothered getting a job, so he is on the dole as well. His just had a birthday, I'm going to tell him his birthday present from me is my tax dollars he is wasting.

I wonder why our Government is broke?

You are not wrong, it is far too easy here for this sort of crap

Quantas

The latest spanner in the works is the possible loss of 5,000 Qantas jobs...

I wonder how many of the Upper Management and Board of Directors are taking a 50% pay cut this year to help out a bit?

The latest spanner in the works is the possible loss of 5,000 Qantas jobs...

I wonder how many of the Upper Management and Board of Directors are taking a 50% pay cut this year to help out a bit?

they should sell Qantas and get some much needed cash injection to save the jobs.

Tell him to come to Sydney, holes being dug everywhere.

And big holes being dug up currently in Gold Coast too for the trams, for the Commonwealth games in 2018.
Came back from short stay and loved walking on the beach and just relaxing....
I did not venture out so I cannot comment like others.
In regards to debt, well, just by looking at debt alone is little ambiguous, no?
Same way as their is good debt and bad debt, I would suggest the same principle could be used for our economy. If the debt is good (managed in such way that it creates jobs than fine), but if the debt is bad (wasted money and no job creation) then that's a worry, IMO!

And big holes being dug up currently in Gold Coast too for the trams, for the Commonwealth games in 2018.
Came back from short stay and loved walking on the beach and just relaxing....
I did not venture out so I cannot comment like others.
In regards to debt, well, just by looking at debt alone is little ambiguous, no?
Same way as their is good debt and bad debt, I would suggest the same principle could be used for our economy. If the debt is good (managed in such way that it creates jobs than fine), but if the debt is bad (wasted money and no job creation) then that's a worry, IMO!

like the $700 handed out for flat screens

Bellevue Hill home sells for $19 million

You reckon the new owners are complaining about the economy :D

Lucy Macken - The Age / 21.03.14

http://theage.domain.com.au/real-estate-news/bellevue-hill-home-sells-for-19-million-20140321-358c5.html

"...Sydney's prestige market has racked up its first significant sale of the year at $19 million for the Bellevue Hill home of Angela Fleming, the widow of grocery tycoon Jim Fleming.

Already this year there has been an impressive line-up of trophy residences for sale, with more than $1 billion worth of prestige real estate worth more than $10 million up for grabs.

The sold sticker went up on the neo-Georgian-style residence on Drumalbyn Road on late Friday afternoon, after it was listed in January for $20 million with Michael Pallier, of Sotheby's International, and Bill Malouf, of LJ Hooker Double Bay. It last traded in 2005 for $16.5 million..."

You reckon the new owners are complaining about the economy :D

Lucy Macken - The Age / 21.03.14

http://theage.domain.com.au/real-estate-news/bellevue-hill-home-sells-for-19-million-20140321-358c5.html

"...Sydney's prestige market has racked up its first significant sale of the year at $19 million for the Bellevue Hill home of Angela Fleming, the widow of grocery tycoon Jim Fleming.

Already this year there has been an impressive line-up of trophy residences for sale, with more than $1 billion worth of prestige real estate worth more than $10 million up for grabs.

The sold sticker went up on the neo-Georgian-style residence on Drumalbyn Road on late Friday afternoon, after it was listed in January for $20 million with Michael Pallier, of Sotheby's International, and Bill Malouf, of LJ Hooker Double Bay. It last traded in 2005 for $16.5 million..."

And there's another one called "Rovello" that'll fetch around $20mil in the same suburb, and another that's expected to go for more than double that, if memory serves.

Just heard the latest news on the radio; jobless up to 6% odd, so unlikely that Reserve Bank will be putting up rates up this year; most likely well into next year, according to the news report.

Let's hope all those cashed-up Chinese buyers keep buying our houses to prop up the prices.

Haha naughty Dazz! How's the vaccuuming going?

Don't think we're going to have a recession because we learnt so well from the last one.
6%+ unemployment is not great but 5% is actually a balanced econmomy so we're not far away from it yet.
We've had a good run with the mining. Other sectors still need to pick up. In a lot of ways, they do depend on OS.
OS will recover slowly but surely.
We'll start getting optimistic again when they do.
In 10 years we'll be the richest country in the world!!!

:mad: (and we still won't be happy with it) :mad:

Agree that ABC tv is always insinuating that a recession is around the corner.

haha really just his first post on this thread - just made me laugh.
To be honest, I'm not into reading long posts and don't always agree with him but he always has a way of catching your attention!

Just heard the latest news on the radio; jobless up to 6% odd, so unlikely that Reserve Bank will be putting up rates up this year; most likely well into next year, according to the news report.

Let's hope all those cashed-up Chinese buyers keep buying our houses to prop up the prices.

you serious? there should be more laws so no one from overseas can buy houses here. How does cashed up chinese buying houses here help the upcoming generation afford a house? it doesnt at all.

Back