Which white??

White is white is white???

Assume we're using Dulux colours.

Ok, so we're using glossy "White on white" for the doors, cornices, skirting boards, etc in our unit.

Now - which white for the walls?!? It's a small 2-bed unit. It seems to get a decent bit of light, although we've only seen it in summer. I'm thinking "China White" - although the painter is suggesting possibly either Antique White or matching "White on white" type colour which is flat (no gloss).

Any suggestions on what "white" you use will be much appreciated!!

Cheers,
Jen

I love china white. It seems to take on a different hue depending on the reflected light available in the room.

White on white can be very stark

Antique ivory (by wattle) is a great coulour - but the mainly use Bristol Fune Blanc -a very versatile colour in all our properties.

It is always well accepted

I've used Antique White on my IPs before, and it's been a popular Dulux colour for at least 20 years. It goes with almost anything, brightens the room and is not a 'stark' white.

I'm with lizzie. We've painted our IP using Whisper White Gloss on doors, architraves and skirting boards and the low sheen version for the walls. Looks very nice. More modern look that Antique White in my opinion it suited what I wanted to acheive.

Jen be carefull in using two different whites make sure you look at the samples in the environment they are going to be used (not in the store).
One question...why do you want to paint the cornices in a gloss finish?

lyne is right - we also did ... ceiling white on the ceiling and cornices, whisper white half tint on the walls matt finish, whisper white full tint on the skirtings and cornices in semi gloss (full gloss is really hard to work with)

i'm part of the whisper white club too! last reno whole house was done in it. this reno we want something a bit starker tho. like really, super white. the kind of white you can turn into a real canvas... still looking...

We always use Dulux 1/4 strength Antique White USA - low sheen on walls, ceiing = flat, trim = gloss (acrylic). It has a slight brown tint that seems to work with floor boards. My docs reception area is painted in Chalk USA - that gives it a nice crisp look. Not sure if I could lve with it every day (too 'cold' maybe).

We painted sample spots on our walls using 8 different whites and they very very, very different.

Lindy

Thanks so much everyone!

We've decided on Whisper White for all the walls, flat white for ceilings and cornices, glossy white for doors, trims, etc. The ceilings, doors, trims have been done, one coat left, - looking very nice - brightening up the place quite a bit!

The walls won't be painted until we've finished the tiling and anything else that involves the endless amount of dust that has been drowning my lungs for the past 2 months!

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Jen

Hey Jen very important to mask up and protect your airways eg against dust or any irritants for that matter....please. Mask's on.

Very important...and eyes, skin, hands..

There are some good masks around...I see Bunnings have a good assortment, but most hardware shops carry them. Great investment.

It's just that I have seen (and cared for) people who have had to live with ramifications of lung disease and damage from irritants ....a few being keen renovators and working in the building industry and also farmers lungs (dust)

www.unionsafe.labor.net.au/hazards/107413937128257.html

Last edited:
We use "white on white" tint for ceilings, doors, trims etc, but use "Buff It" for the walls, which provides a nice contrast. I think white on the walls also would be too stark.
We've used this colour scheme on several properties and team it with stainless steel light/power swithches, available from Bunnings, that clip over the original...makes a modern finish and looks just as great in old Queenslanders.

I use Dulux - White on white for ceilings, Ecru for the walls and Self-Destruct (that really is a colour) for the doors and trims

If you check the gallery for my Cairns townhouse you can see they work very well together.

I use the same colours in all the renos that way, no problem with the colour, just grab a can out of the shed and touch up any scuff marks. I have the same colours in Melbourne and Cairns IPs.

Chris

we like white opal, magnolia and clotted cream. We are in a very cold climate though so need very warm whites. These all have red and yellow in them (not black, blue or green which is what I feel makes a white cold)

In a warm climate I would be more inclined towards ecru and the browner ones.

I find white on white very harsh on my eyes and glarey.

for celings we use 1/4 tint off white

i wouldn't use this if i was doing a brown based white on the walls though. Could maybe use a 1/4 or 1/8th tint of wall colour.

I love china white. It seems to take on a different hue depending on the reflected light available in the room.

Tizzy, what hue does China white take on...our interior decorator uses this colour on big developments. It has a green tinge to my eyes but I am interested in the overall effect.

Sea change, how did the Chalk USA come out like. It looks fabulous in magazines and is often used expensive developments. Someone I know who painted her whole house this colour was very disappointed because it looked like it had pink through it? Is it an overall beautiful colour to live with?

Mrs Bird:)

I've used chalk usa before and found it was too dark with a real yellow tinge to it. I've now been using antique white usa on recent reno's and it looks much 'whiter' but with still a light beige colour through it, so not too stark.

Sea change, how did the Chalk USA come out like. It looks fabulous in magazines and is often used expensive developments. Someone I know who painted her whole house this colour was very disappointed because it looked like it had pink through it? Is it an overall beautiful colour to live with?

Mrs Bird:)

Tip 1
I have done my own house and many others in Antique White Usa and you have to be careful because in some lighting it can come out a little orangy/pinkish, always put a sample pot on several walls around you house. 1/4 strength worked really well on the ceilings to take away the stark white look but still appear white.
I am really over it now though and will be looking at going for China white, it has a greeny/brown tinge. Full strength can be too dark in some houses, I suggest a 1/2 or 3/4 strength for the walls.

Tip 2
A good wall paint that is new and has a really low odour is Taubmans Easy coat. Good for me as i am now 5 months pregnant, am a painter and renovator and want to keep going as long as I can.

White is white is white???

Assume we're using Dulux colours.

Ok, so we're using glossy "White on white" for the doors, cornices, skirting boards, etc in our unit.

Now - which white for the walls?!? It's a small 2-bed unit. It seems to get a decent bit of light, although we've only seen it in summer. I'm thinking "China White" - although the painter is suggesting possibly either Antique White or matching "White on white" type colour which is flat (no gloss).

Any suggestions on what "white" you use will be much appreciated!!

Cheers,
Jen
Hi Jen. It seems you've encountered a troubling moment of choice and duplicity. One I will indulge in titling for you as “things are not what they seem except for when they are” or “life will always be as difficult as you'd like it to be”. But please, don't misinterpret my tone. I am certainly one to appreciate the importance of white walls. And no less important are the magazines mentioned above by Mrs Bird, especially if they're of a thick glossy la-dee-da nature with very little inside to read.

But Jen, in way of offering you that advice, allow me to digress for a moment. For the deceptive properties of interior whites that you've encountered, remind me of time spent with the new works of an artist, Sebastian Moody. And I believe without a doubt he is someone who could tell us about choice, or even if “white is white is white???”.

Moody's recent picture-making is redolent of a contemporary designer reality. An A-list reality, “hand torn” from the pages of Vogue or Harper's Bazaar (Jen you must have your own collection of such pages?). Yet Moody's images are in a double state. Both as temporarily desirable readymades pulled from the capitalist flux of our day, and as iconoclastic images both elevated and muddied by advertising and the “art business”. How do these beautiful images operate? Something else is going on here Jen. Décor samples, home office ad re-enactments, originals/copies/original-copies - all pressed into a layer cake of cognitive delay. It might be cool irony or perhaps we've found a new place of worship? Choosing how to decipher the subtleties of Moody's new work requires dedication, and I'm sure it's of a kind demonstrated by your local Dulux staff who can distinguish between varieties of gloss white. Sorry Jen, I really have digressed.

White is not white – or it is, but only if you decide it to be. I recommend you go with Antique White U.s.a. It's creamy but not too creamy.

Cheers,
Tim Woodward

Last edited:
Back