"White Flight" - Could this trend happen in Australia?

Fair enough BayView, you're right about the fact that the aussie born stay refers to nationality and not race.

Out of curiosity, what is your or anyone else's definitely of a westerner? Chomp is unable to answer that question and im curious what other people think

I got bored mate and had things to do.

Westerners are all different, from American to Uk to Europe to Aussies we have cultures within cultures, same as if I asked you to define all Asians its a stupid question.

I got bored mate and had things to do.

Westerners are all different, from American to Uk to Europe to Aussies we have cultures within cultures, same as if I asked you to define all Asians its a stupid question.

you still aren't answering the question. Yes westerners are different but what is a westerner? Is it based in ethnicity or nationality? You used the term a fair bit on your posts but you're refusing to even say what it means to you, makes no sense to Me Because you clearly feel westerners, whoever that westerners, whoever they are, are getting the raw end of the deal.

Btw I agree you can't throw all Asians in one description, that's a point I made earlier this thread when you did that About Asians and westerners.

So BayView in your mind it's based on ethnicity,
That's mostly correct.

It also refers to the area where the world's populations live.

I don't know how they came up with the West and the East; given that the planet is round.

I mean; how did we arrive at descriptions of places like Afghanistan etc being the "Middle-East"?

I have also heard Asians refer to us WASPs as westerners.

I don't take offense to it though; it is a description.

I was called "whitey" loads of times as a kid. That's fine - I am white going back several generations.

But to be called a "white c@rnt" - that's a bit harsh.

Interestingly; to call the other guy "blackey" back in those days was never accepted too kindly. Lots of spitting and yelling.

Disappointing.

Counterproductive.

My Father was German who survived Hitlers death camps ,not because he was Jewish he was German Roman Catholic, and because his
FATHER spoke up about what was happening ALL OUR FAMILY ended up in a Nazi concentration death camp at the age of ten,and thank God that not all the "SS" guards were animals some also had compassion and empathy..
MY FATHER, jumped ship in the early 1950's,and worked on farms in this great country ,my Mother as I have traced back her people came here as convicts, so I guess you may look at me as a boat person,the reckon people with special visions ,are people blind to what others see..

And btw I married a Lady from Hong-Kong 30 years ago..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v47WOQaZsI

Read the link Sanj, it is quite diverse, I cant explain it to you any better than that ?

When I said I will get my very broad brush out, this indicates that I know not all Asians are the same ?

I guess we all have different experiences of what is an Aussie Westerner and that will change over time as well, wouldn't you agree ?

There seems to be resentment that "white" people can make the choice of "white flight".

Came across an article that stated:
Immigration, or rather population replacement, is one issue where most of the political class is brain-dead, as well as a large portion of the general population. We?ve allowed a situation to develop where antiracism has gradually mutated into an ideology that seeks to destroy the entire European world.

A US right winged author who follows up with:
"Diversity is white genocide" and "Diversity means chasing down the last white person".

I would have thought these comments a bit reactionary but after reading this thread I think there may be something in it.

A person has the right to freedom of association. I recall reading a study years ago that linked racial homogeneity with low crime rates. That may be reason enough to consider a move.
There seems a level of indignation and condemnation of people choosing where they live. Not really for anyone else to say.

ok fair enough, well I just think its fair to let the founding race of Modern Australia (Anglo Saxons) the right to live with their own race if they choose to and not be called a racist or dumb Fck for doing so, would you agree ?

ok fair enough, well I just think its fair to let the founding race of Modern Australia (Anglo Saxons) the right to live with their own race if they choose to and not be called a racist or dumb Fck for doing so, would you agree ?
LOL!

I try my hardest to move away from much of the white Aus population; not closer to them. :D

To a point that can be justified, people are of course free to live wherever they want and with whoever they want, I do object to the assertion that people of any colour in a multicultural country like australia feel they have the right to exclude others from living in "ttheir" area. This isn't a white country. It wasn't for thousands of years and it sure as hell isn't anymore.

Just like you say wasps have the right to live where they want so do people of any other colour which is why I disagree strongly with your earlier comment that other races shouldn't be allowed to be the dominating demographic in any particular suburb. Not only is that ultimately impossible to govern without some awful eugenics style regulation, it is also something I'm completely morally opposed to.

This isn't a recent phenomenon, the Germans migrated in significant numbers to adelaide in the 1800s, the Greeks to parts of melbourne, Italians to say carlton and Leichardt, the vietnamese to cabramatta, this has always happened and isn't a bad thing.

if you believe that country doesn't belong to a single race more than another, like I do, tthen the whole idea that people of a certain race congregating in particular areas isn't a problem.

So ...

I'm sure no one here will agree with this but

Why do ethnic minorities tend to cluster in certain areas? Because they want to be around people with similar values and culture ?

If a white person wanted this it would be racist

Pfft. "White" people do this all the time. I grew up in an enclave of a religous minority in the Perth hills. I have visited similar enclaves of the same religion in Melbourne and NSW too. I know that many poms that move to Perth move to certain areas to be near their friends. Same with "white" South Africans. I'm sure there are other examples too. I guess the old adage: "birds of a feather" is one explanation.

Personally, I find the whole "White Flight" concept ridiculous. I live in a very multi-cultural little corner of Perth and I love it. I would never move to a "whiter" area to get away from my "non-white" neighbours.

Pfft. "White" people do this all the time. I grew up in an enclave of a religous minority in the Perth hills. I have visited similar enclaves of the same religion in Melbourne and NSW too. I know that many poms that move to Perth move to certain areas to be near their friends. Same with "white" South Africans. I'm sure there are other examples too. I guess the old adage: "birds of a feather" is one explanation.

Personally, I find the whole "White Flight" concept ridiculous. I live in a very multi-cultural little corner of Perth and I love it. I would never move to a "whiter" area to get away from my "non-white" neighbours.

The problem is you are applying too much logic and not enough xenophobia here, you should be afraid of the invasion by stealth :eek:

The problem is you are applying too much logic and not enough xenophobia here, you should be afraid of the invasion by stealth :eek:

Just when I thought we were getting somewhere, sigh.

It's not Xenophobia to prefer to live with your own race.

Tell that to the people in the UK who have had there cities and town over taken completely.

I think that when you have almost entire suburbs changing the signage to only the language of the residents, and no English language signs anywhere (English is still the main language spoken in Aus and has been for 200 odd years) this could be considered as replacing existing culture with your own - no attempt at integration, and therefore invasion by stealth.

The prob with this for the Aussies already here from previous generations is they think; "If you are so desperate to want to move to Aus; why then are you setting up your previous Country again - which you are fleeing from?"

This is the mindset (right or wrong), and they feel offended to a degree that these folks come over and don't want to mingle, but just set up camp on another shore.

Just when I thought we were getting somewhere, sigh.

It's not Xenophobia to prefer to live with your own race.

Tell that to the people in the UK who have had there cities and town over taken completely.

"Xenophobia is the unreasoned fear of that which is perceived to be foreign or strange.[1][2] Xenophobia can manifest itself in many ways involving the relations and perceptions of an ingroup towards an outgroup, including a fear of losing identity, suspicion of its activities, aggression, and desire to eliminate its presence to secure a presumed purity"

Note I'm not saying racism, I'm sayingxenophobia and to me it's a valid call. white people moving out of an area because say brown people have moved in can often be linked to the above.

The fact that you're using terms like "ttaken over" kind of points to that.

Relations and perceptions of an in group towards and our group - check

Fear of losing identity - check

This of course isn't always the case but it certainly sometimes is. If someone is complaining they're being taken over by foreigners in a country like that is 80% white British and 85% white according to the 2011 census then I really think much ado is being made of nothing. Not to say there aren't issues in pockets, of course there are but nothing supports the theory the country is being taken over and people need to move overseas to be with their own kinD.

85% of the country is white, why complain about small pockets that immigrants of particular colours have congregated in? why is it a bad thinG?

Back