"White Flight" - Could this trend happen in Australia?

I think that when you have almost entire suburbs changing the signage to only the language of the residents, and no English language signs anywhere (English is still the main language spoken in Aus and has been for 200 odd years) this could be considered as replacing existing culture with your own - no attempt at integration, and therefore invasion by stealth.

The prob with this for the Aussies already here from previous generations is they (we) think; "If you are so desperate to want to move to Aus; why then are you setting up your previous Country again - which you are fleeing from?"

This is the mindset, and they feel offended to a degree.

What sort of signs are you referring to?

If someone moves down the road from me and opens a shop catering to their demographic and most of the signs are in their language I'd be one of the first to walk in and have a look around. Embrace the new/wweird/ wonderful, be supportive and you'll often find the person on the other side is receptive.

I remember a somalian cafe opening up where I didn't understand a word of what was going on, instead of running to the hills I simply asked them and they turned out be lovely people

Or alternatively some people will stand from the sidelines and get upset, I know which one is personally a more enjoyable experience

"Xenophobia is the unreasoned fear of that which is perceived to be foreign or strange.[1][2] Xenophobia can manifest itself in many ways involving the relations and perceptions of an ingroup towards an outgroup, including a fear of losing identity, suspicion of its activities, aggression, and desire to eliminate its presence to secure a presumed purity"

Note I'm not saying racism, I'm sayingxenophobia and to me it's a valid call. white people moving out of an area because say brown people have moved in can often be linked to the above.

The fact that you're using terms like "ttaken over" kind of points to that.

Relations and perceptions of an in group towards and our group - check

Fear of losing identity - check

This of course isn't always the case but it certainly sometimes is. If someone is complaining they're being taken over by foreigners in a country like that is 80% white British and 85% white according to the 2011 census then I really think much ado is being made of nothing. Not to say there aren't issues in pockets, of course there are but nothing supports the theory the country is being taken over and people need to move overseas to be with their own kinD.

85% of the country is white, why complain about small pockets that immigrants of particular colours have congregated in? why is it a bad thinG?

FFS "White Flight" are not ignorant or scared of any other races foreign or strangeness etc...

THEY PREFER TO LIVE WITH THEIR OWN RACE THAT IS ALL

I give up Sanj, got better things to do.

Chomp

FFS "White Flight" are not ignorant or scared of any other races foreign or strangeness etc...

THEY PREFER TO LIVE WITH THEIR OWN RACE THAT IS ALL

I give up Sanj, got better things to do.

Chomp

I'm talking about why someone would prefer to live with their own race in their own country.

Also, you're the one who has repeatedly said things like "sshouldn't be allowed to not be majority", " white country, "Westerners" etc.

You might not be xenophobic bit you just might be too.

I'm happy to leave it here too but last questions

- do you believe australia is a white country?

- why is it bad for migrants to congregate in certain areas?

I'm talking about why someone would prefer to live with their own race in their own country.

Also, you're the one who has repeatedly said things like "sshouldn't be allowed to not be majority", " white country, "Westerners" etc.

You might not be xenophobic bit you just might be too.

I'm happy to leave it here too but one last question - do you believe australia is a white country?

My girlfriend is from Kenya and she is black, we have been together for nearly two years, I have lived in Mt Lawley for near on 15yrs which is very Multi Cultural suburb mate, I am not Xenophobic.

The majority of people in Australia are white at this stage but once again you are missing the point. I believe in choice for Anglo's in their founded country without being labeled racist, dumb fk's etc.... that is all.

I think you may be over reacting because of your origin to be honest.

Thanks for clarifying.

My views are the same regardless of colour.

I agree white people can live wherever they want, but so can anyone else. My issue is with the assertion its bad for ethnics to congregate in supposed enclaves and that must be stopped but it's ok for white pepple to do so. It appears to be different rules for different folks and that's my main issue with it.

Happy to leave it here, we're just going around in circles

I don't know how they came up with the West and the East; given that the planet is round.

I mean; how did we arrive at descriptions of places like Afghanistan etc being the "Middle-East"?
Do you really not know this, or are you having us on? (It's so hard to read tone into text.)

With regards to the central part of the discussion, let's say that we agreed that concentrations of one ethnicity were a bad thing (which I don't accept, but for the purposes of argument): how does one prevent it?

It seems to me that the only possible way of achieving it would be to have quotas for each suburb, whereby you eventually end up saying "Sorry, we already have our 1.5% of Lithuanians in this suburb, you'll have to find another suburb". Presumably this would also apply to locals, who could be told "Sorry, we already have our 65% of Anglo-Saxons in this suburb, you'll have to find somewhere else to live".

Really? Do we live in a society where that's something we'd even contemplate?

Do you really not know this, or are you having us on? (It's so hard to read tone into text.)
It was actually a serious question.

I really do not know this; it has been around since I can remember, but I've never known the origins of when and how the regions came about.

How did the areas get named, and when?

Where does East begin and end, where does middle east begin and end, and so on.

Not trying to be funny (for a change).

It was actually a serious question.

I really do not know this; it has been around since I can remember, but I've never known the origins of when and how the regions came about.

How did the areas get named, and when?
It originates from when Europe was considered "the centre of the world".

America and western Europe is to the west.

China was the "Far East".

To get there you pass through... the Middle East.

Sometimes Turkey (and surrounds) is referred to as the "near East".

South America, Africa, and Australia either weren't colonised or insignificant enough on the world trading routes to rate a mention. :)

I think once you have lived among other cultures for a while race awareness tends to fade away and you feel no need to live within ones own race. It?s only those that have not experienced other races so much that might have some xenophobia and feel a need to live with ones own.

I mean; how did we arrive at descriptions of places like Afghanistan etc being the "Middle-East"?
Actually Afghanistan is not in the middle east, that ends at Iran.

The strange thing is that all the Singaporeans I have met who have migrated to Australia all chose to live in what were once referred to as 'white bread' upper socioeconomic neighbourhoods such as in the Kew area, the Balwyn area extending up through Surrey Hills and Mount Albert, Canterbury, and the Hawthorn area.

I have never met a Singaporean who has migrated to Australia and has chosen to live and raise a family in Tottenham, Dandenong, or Broadmeadows.

Maybe it's just the company I keep.

However it does seem strange that Singaporeans in very large numbers seem to be selecting where they want to live in Australia at least partly by considering the demographics of the various suburbs, avoiding some and focusing on others.

Even stranger is that someone from a Singaporean background would then denigrate "white" or "European" Australians who might want to move away from an area undergoing a demographic change which they find unpleasant, the same type of area which very few if any Singaporeans would apparently ever move to and live.

Btw I didn't say it's automatically racist, sometimes is plain xenophobia or just ignorance.

But of course Australia doesn't exist in a vacuum, we can measure how 'racist' or 'xenophobic' it is for people to move away from a neighborhood they no longer feel comfortable in by comparing it to race-based practices and attitudes in other countries.

We have someone from Singapore who seems to claiming some sort of moral superiority over 'white' Australians who want to relocate way from an area they no longer want to live, so let's have a look at how race is dealt with in Singapore.

Well what do you know, in Singapore, the country created by Singaporeans, it is legal to discriminate against a person on the basis of their race.

Here we have a report from Singapore detailing property rental advertisements which include such caveats as "Accept all race, except indian sorry no offence (sic)." Apparently it is quite common in certain areas that no Indians, ?PRCs? (from the People?s Republic of China) or Malays will be allowed to rent various properties.

http://blogs.wsj.com/indonesiarealt...ervasive-in-singapore-property-rental-market/

Outside the property market it seems there is a growing undercurrent of racial tension in Singapore as Singaporeans resist the ongoing immigration into their country which they claim is putting a growing strain on "jobs, housing and infrastructure, and raised fears about the dilution of the Singaporean national identity."

"Does Singapore have a problem with xenophobia? It seems that barely a month goes by these days without news reports highlighting friction between Singaporeans and foreign workers in the tiny, multi-ethnic city-state."

Look there is even a sign raised at a demonstration saying "Singapore for Singaporeans".

http://thediplomat.com/2014/02/singapores-foreigner-problem/

Oh well nothing to see here, that's different, let's just forget about that and return to the lecture being given by the person from Singapore about how some 'white' Australians are a mixture of racist, xenophobic and ignorant for exercising their own free will in their own country by selling their house in an area they no longer want to live and buying a house in another area where they would prefer to live.

Not sure why you think you're disagreeing with me, I agree with you. Singapore has some atrocious rules regarding races and it's one of the reasons we left. No the only one but certainly one of them.

that's in no way acceptable so you're preaching to the converted here.

As a I mentioned colour is irrelevant in my argument here, in a multicultural country it's irrelevant which race is being xenophobic, it's not cool either way.

Maybe you missed it when I typed it 10 times or so, I have no issue with people of any race congregating in any area in australia. The reasons why are sometimes, but not always, xenopobic and sometimes entirely reasonable. Either way people are free to live where they want.

Btw you're the one mentioning colour again here repeatedly

Last edited:
I've never been racist. Lived in PNG for a couple of years and went to school there - lots of different nationalities. Travelled after uni - nearly got married in the 'near east'. Came home heart-broken.
Have been teaching many nationalities for 20 years.
But - when I moved into an area of Sydney where I was the odd one out,
I was very disappointed when I was told that I shouldn't be there.
Racism is a two-edged sword and I would confidently say that Australians are the least racist people in the world. Which isn't saying much because we all know that Australians are racist.
Not denying that anyone with a 'differing' background will have experienced some form of racism or exclusion at some point. Maybe a lot, maybe a little.
However, it seems we've gone overboard when we mix all the issues into one messy knot.
Racism and immigration aren't the same issue.
Immigration and over-crowding aren't the same issue.
Suburbs like Marrickville (where it's truly multi-cultural) aren't the same as suburbs where the inhabitants are mostly from the one country.
It can be interesting and sometimes fun living in these places. Eventually, they'll diversify a little and become trendy and then be like Leichhardt.
After working with new immigrants and living in a mono-cultural suburb, it is a nice change to be somewhere where you don't have to live in fear of the racist card being constantly in play, though. It's a pity we can't comment on immigration without having to cover the whole spectrum of issues.

It's clear I'm not aussie in her eyes and so can't comment.

Being a citizen for 15 years doesn't qualify me yet, maybe if I change my name and whiten my skin I'll be ok
How dare you use me as part of a straw man argument to feed your persecution complex I have nowhere said or implied anything to do with you or anybody else being or not being an Australian citizen and I have in no way said anything which implies that it has even crossed my mind that I have a problem with your or anybody else's name or skin colour which you continually mention as though it is some kind of crutch you can lean on to protect you from scrutiny and to allow you to avoid addressing the argument and instead portray yourself as a victim because someone who you assume is "white" dares to question a person with the racial characteristics you constantly proclaim you have.

Back