Who is responsible?

Morally and/or legally??

you get a verbal/written quote for a job,

half way through someone breaks in and vandalises your house,

The quote is for a particular job to be done, regardless of how long it takes, but getting broken into is not expecetd, and one can argue, that the owner should have secured it better (legally speaking)

I just had a job today, where the tradie got some paint from bunnings to patch up a few areas, he got the same paint as the previous time, and the same colour according to the colour specitication table (the ones with the numbers on them),

however, its completely different, and now he is expecting to be paid for the time to fix the issue

TMNT, who is the builder? ie who is responsible for the site? Do they have contractor's all risk insurance (CAR)? Has the site been handed over to the building owner (ie reached practical completion or earlier stage for handover)?

Was the theft reported to the Police?

Morally and/or legally??

you get a verbal/written quote for a job,

half way through someone breaks in and vandalises your house,

The quote is for a particular job to be done, regardless of how long it takes, but getting broken into is not expecetd, and one can argue, that the owner should have secured it better (legally speaking)

I just had a job today, where the tradie got some paint from bunnings to patch up a few areas, he got the same paint as the previous time, and the same colour according to the colour specitication table (the ones with the numbers on them),

however, its completely different, and now he is expecting to be paid for the time to fix the issue

Im really confused. Is that 2 seperate incidents or some kind of analogy? You're saying someone broke into your house but they used different colour paint and charged you for it? :confused:

Im really confused. Is that 2 seperate incidents or some kind of analogy? You're saying someone broke into your house but they used different colour paint and charged you for it? :confused:

Oops sorry about that

First one was a hypothetical
Lets say you pay a guy to say tile a room, and then vandals get in and wreck it, who, s responsibility is it

And my real life example, paid a guy to do a few weeks work, all finished and then realised that the bits he patched up or went over the colour doesn't match
Its not his ffault that Bunnings screwed up, but it's not my fault either so why should I pay for it?

Hope this makes sense

TMNT,Why did he continue painting when it didn't match?
Why didn't he contact you?He should have realized(unless he's colour blind)and gone back to bunnings to get the right match.
Cheers Spades.

paint: it would depend on the scope of works you provided... did you say 'go to bunnings and grab this paint called "gawdy lilac" and paint it here' or did you say 'touch up theses areas and make sure the colour matches'.

it would be hard to see the paint was a mismatch until it dried.

my guess is bunnings have stuffed you here and they wont want to know about it

TMNT,Why did he continue painting when it didn't match?
Why didn't he contact you?He should have realized(unless he's colour blind)and gone back to bunnings to get the right match.
Cheers Spades.

given normal circumstnaces I would agree with you

here is what happened

I painted the frist coat wall with some paint

he took the empty can to bunnings, and asked for the same stuff

it went on really light, but dried the same,

he then needed some more, and took the empty can to bunnings,

and did the same, it went on really light, but it hasnt blended in

hope this makes sense

That is a tough one!!

I reckon you should meet in the middle and ask him to repaint at 50% cost, then you're both wearing part of the cost.

But you'd probably have a decent case against Bunnings if you can prove they made a mistake.

In this case, I would take it as a lesson learned.
Buy more than enough paint to do the job.

I'd wear all the costs in this instance.

Morally and/or legally??

That was his first mistake most trade-Painters not off the street brush hands will do a small sample area let it dry and see if it blends in if it blends in while they prepare the total area to be painted then if it's ok to paint the entire surface area,if not they will make another mix not have someone at a hardware outlet take the punt ,the owner ends up holding the can in this one,imho..

Whos task was it to estimate the quantity of and supply the paint? If yours and you supplied too little, then your responsibility. If the painter quoted to supply paint and underestimated and had to do 3 trips for 3 lots, then their responsibility.

Back