who is using skype

hi kph
because skype is internat it gives the credit in euro but there is a tab to convert there cost to any currency which is handy.
just picked up a dual phone from dick smiths not tried it yet as it takes 24 hrs to charge its a portable that takes normal line calls and skype
so should be ok for my little system cost 146.00 so not cheap put as a portable its ok going to hook up to the fax line to try and then will give you a run down on it.
its got a 300mtr radius so should be ok.

I'm not using skype but use a voip service instead of my landline. I bought some hardware that I just plug my ordinary phone into and dial away. The only difference is that I have to dial the area code before every phone number, even if its next door. I don't even have to turn the computer on, it just works like an ordinary phone.

My phone bill has gone from about $70 per month to <$30. Call quality is somewhere between landline and mobile quality.

I make untimed national calls to landlines at 9.9c each, mobiles for 27c per minute, and cheap international calls (e.g. 3c per minute to US). I think I may be able to get the mobiles down to 19c per minute by using a different voip service provider for mobile calls (pennytel).

Anyway if anyone else is interested here's what I did:

1. Signed up with a broadband internet account

I chose internode as my ISP.
Plan is ADSL: HOME-512-Starter for AU$39.95 512K/128K, 8GIG traffic shaped
This seemed to be a good ADSL 1 price.

2. Signed with a Voip (sip) Service Provider

I chose www.sipme.com.au, as they seemed to be well regarded by the geeks on whirlpool and had good rates. Sipme also let you sign up with other providers so you can use 1 for landlines, another for mobiles etc. There are many to choose from, but sipme is working for me. I just put $10 worth of prepaid calls on it, and it lasts for ages.

A point worthy of note is that I have heard that some people have gone with isp's that also provide a voip service however the proviso was that they took over the line. The disadvantage of this is they are now paying the AU$33.95 rather than the home line budget of AU$20 INET is an example of an ISP that is doing this. They would not allow me onto their voip service without taking over my existing line.

My recommendation is to separate your ISP and VSP to avoid this.

PS If you have cable then you don't have to worry about line rental. But $60 cable = $40 ADSL +$20 line rental anyway, and I keep my old phone number and still take incoming calls on it, and also have the landline as a backup. Also most VSPs charge a fee to receive incoming calls off-net (its $8 per month for sipme). So at the moment ADSL and line rental works best for me.

3. Bought the necessary hardware.

I purchased the billion 7404vgp. Its a router, wifi access point, 4 port 10/100 switch, 1 port FX0 2 port FXS - so it does wifi, ethernet and voip all in one box. I just plug my ordinary phone into it. There was a bit of messing around with configuation (I had noisy static on my landline to begin with), but the whirlpool forum geeks sorted me out. AU$225 at msy computer parts.

If you already have a modem/router you can just get an ATA (analogue telephone adapter) and plug it into your router, and save a few bucks. The sipura 3000 seems to be well regarded. I already had an ADSL modem and wireless access point, but I chose to get the all in one box to reduce wires and wall warts.

Both the billion or the sipura support Dial Plans, that is, you can program it to switch VSPs, or use the old landline depending on the number you dial. So for example the box could know use one VSP for local, another for mobiles, and ordinary landline to call new zealand. After its programmed you just dial the number like normal and the box knows which service to use.

4. Call telstra and reduce my line rental from $29 to $20 with the home line budget. This meant local calls would go from 25 cents to 30 but of course I make no calls a I use the sip provider.

I have plugged my ordinary cordless phone into port 1 (FXS port) of my billion and I am off and running.

5. Dump all of your tel$tra shares.

6. Call your mum.

Last edited:
hi Springtime
yes that is very similar to engin and they do work well the only difference is that with skype you can video comference call 4 people and you can word text like msn with up to 100 at a time similar to msn white board.
the quality of skype is very different at different time of the day but did a skype call to hong kong for nearly 2 hrs at no cost which is great.
and web cam it also.
for me it is good I cam web cam on a sunday at 7.00 my time with my family in manchester and london and they are all on at the same time and they can each see and chat again at no cost.
we have it set as a time now it got a deal but you get used to it.
you do need a adsl line but I put 10 euro on the account about 6 weeks ago and its currently at 6.97 euro.
oh and those duo skype phones give me a range of about 200 mtrs without any distortion which isn't to bad.

I have skype installed and it was great when I used it in China to call home from the internet connection in my hotel room from my laptop, using a headset. I'd definitely use it for video conferencing.

The dual phones are nice and intially I was going to get one but I didn't like the way you could only use them with skype (at least thats my understanding).

I went with the system above as I wanted to replace my landline with voip, so wanted some thing that works just like a landline i.e. dial normally, no need to turn on computer, and can use common old phones. When people ring my old number, the voip phone rings and it just becomes an ordinary landline call. Not being tied to a particular service provider is a real bonus too.

One warning though, many cordless phones operate on the same frequency as wifi (2.4Ghz) and can interefere with it - so avoid 2.4Ghz cordless phones if you intend to use wireless internet.

hi Springtime
the duo runs both land line and skype and you can swop between the calls and write text with the phone.
not sure of the frequency but seems to run ok.

Back