Who knows of a good builder in Adelaide?

My first priority is to find a quality builder, not someone that takes shortcuts. I want to build a house that will last, not one that is always cracking, leaking, or falling apart.

I want the house built well, but as cheaply as possible... I don't want to just go for the cheapest builder, then have to go through impossible and/or lengthy legal battles to have faults rectified! Ideally i'd want to use the cheapest out of all the quality builders available.

TL;DR Can anyone reccomend a good builder in Adelaide?

With the information provided I would recommend

Stellar Homes - http://www.stellarhomes.com.au/
Ive sold several homes for investors who have built through them as spec homes to onsell and the buyers always seem to give good reports and the investors who had them built always seem to be quite happy.

A Builder to Avoid

One "quality" builder that I strongly recommend you avoid is Builtlink of Glen Osmond Road. Undoubtedly the worst experience of my life.

One "quality" builder that I strongly recommend you avoid is Builtlink of Glen Osmond Road. Undoubtedly the worst experience of my life.

What was your experience? Bit rich coming onto the forum and with your first post get stuck into a Company for now reason, detail or name given. :(

Gools

A Builder to Avoid

I did not make this post for "now" reason, no even for no reason. I feel I have very justified reasons for complaint about this company. I will be happy to give full details once the present dispute has been resolved. In the meantime I just wish to advise anybody looking for a builder in Adelaide that Builtlink has one very dissatisfied customer.

not one that is always cracking, leaking, or falling apart.
Just reading your post and this jumped out, doesn't really matter who you build with, often leaks, cracking and falling apart just happen. Could be poor design, not just poor work, could be bad batch of windows.

You really do need to check out the house once it's completed and pick the crap out of it, phone and phone and phone the builder to come back and fix things that your not happy with. Don't ignore stuff, get on the phone and nicely tell the builder what is happening and when will they be out to fix it. Take full advantage of the warranty.

Cheers
Graeme

Just reading your post and this jumped out, doesn't really matter who you build with, often leaks, cracking and falling apart just happen. Could be poor design, not just poor work, could be bad batch of windows.

Not to mention Adelaide's Bay of Biscay clay soil. Cracks are endemic in SA; every double brick house probably has them.

@silversands: I'm still working/thinking about my rough plans of what i want to build, and the bigger problem of affordability :mad: Houses aren't as cheap as they were to build before... :mad:

...Does anyone actually still attempt to build with double brick in Adelaide? :eek:
We have a reputation to protect after all - Interstaters don't say we build cardboard houses in S.A. without good reason!
Keep us posted Vincenzo.

Looks like i'm probably going to have to buy another place to afford this build :mad: Which is kinda funny :rolleyes:

And a young girl just walked past me with a kfc bucket on her head :confused: Weird times we're living in.

...Does anyone actually still attempt to build with double brick in Adelaide? :eek:
We have a reputation to protect after all - Interstaters don't say we build cardboard houses in S.A. without good reason!
Keep us posted Vincenzo.

Good houses are always double brick and cracks are a sign of prosperity! :D

Weeks Group

I used Weeks group (they own weeks peacock, world concept and weeks macklin). They only took 13 months to build three houses and what should have been done in 6-7 months.

They did save sometime by not connecting the sewer mains until 6 weeks after we moved in though, which was helpful. My pregant wife (with morning sickness) didn't mind the chemical loo in the garage a bit.

Their draftsmen and stormwater calcualtion people were very friendly, and given they got the calculations wrong three times (and had them rejected by council three times) I got to deal with them a fair bit.

They were also kind when they only put the contract price up on us by $15,000 because they didn't get on site within 6 months of signing the initial fixed price quote. Given four months of delay due to their planning errors I felt this was entirely justified and reasonable. Didn't upset me a bit.

Cheers,
Ian

I've never heard a good story about any builder. The common complaints are:
1. Long time to complete
2. Delayed or denied repair of poor quality workmanship after the handover
3. If we don't pay on time they charge penalty but when they delay handover, we can't charge them.
4. Sub-quality material
5. charge lot more than the market price for additonal items like paving, rain water tank etc which is not covered in contract.

Any other complaints.....or any good stories?

Regards
Sanjay

I used Weeks group (they own weeks peacock, world concept and weeks macklin). They only took 13 months to build three houses and what should have been done in 6-7 months.

Ian, most builders are quoting 12-14 months for a single dwelling at the moment. Were you promised 6-7 months by a sales person? Sounds like you got sold down the river. :(

Do you think you did enough independant research on the 6-7 months claim?

Gools

Back