Who runs?

Do you regularly exercise?

• No, I don't

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I do a little but should be doing more..

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Yes, I make sure I get regular exercise.

Votes: 32 48.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well I'm reporting back and must say that my ankles and knees are quite stiff n sore as of late when I run, whats up with that?!

Im guessing I need to give myself a day in between runs?

Well I'm reporting back and must say that my ankles and knees are quite stiff n sore as of late when I run, whats up with that?!

Im guessing I need to give myself a day in between runs?

Could be many things, but the obvious one is that your body needs to get used to it again ;-)

I used to run 5 minutes, walk another 2 minutes, and repeat the process.

I know it's boring but it's the best way.

I used this plan:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

And, get plenty of rest.

You mentioned in earlier post that you've returned to running recently. Give your body time to adjust to the demands. Running every alternate day is a good start and also warm up properly. Maybe walk first 5 min, stretch gently, have a run and stretch after wards whilst body is still warm. Do not bounce the stretch and do not over-stretch. Never stretch when body is cold and unprepared.

On the alternate days, swim, cycle, walk, or do conditioning exercises. Also helps physically and mentally to mix up the running. One long run per week, and a couple of moderate or shorter ones. Mix up the pace when you feel up to it. Do fartlek (speed play) once per week where you run steady pace for say 5 min and then up the pace for 30-60 secs (or between landmarks such as light posts, street corners, etc) for several repeats. It can enhance C/V fitness and combat the boredom and routine that runners can sometimes experience.

My caveat is that this is purely my opinion; not specific advice.. W2W, not sure of your age, if you're new to this and concerned, have you had a medical check-up lately? Careful not to over-train at outset to reduce chance of injury and other complications.

Im 28 and haven't had a general checkup for as long as I can remember,

I'll just ease into it and see how it goes, running every morning might be a big strain on my body at present,

I have my own fitness course I "do"...hills and sand. Was going great belting around, doing some weights as well, then family came home, we had a game of footy and I did a hammy. (Got the winning goal first tho').

Will miss a few games.

I'm the lame girl at the auctions.:)

Winny, are you still a practicing physio? There are a lot of physio's, chiro's, occupational therapists, sports physicians etc now putting their patients on WBV programs nowadays. Also Australian & International sporting teams and Olympians are using them.

The only sporting team I have heard of who tried it was the Brisbane Bullets, and they soon went back to more conventional training. An Australian long distance jumper (a physio) also messed with it but the novelty wore off.

Nevertheless, I accept there's some sound physiological rationale for its use.....but my personal view is there's more wholistic and time efficient forms of exercise.

When someone puts a new device out like this, they often do the studies with previously sedentary subjects. Any form of exercise for them would disprove the null hypothesis.

And there's always some new flavour of the month thing coming out.
Whether the gains match the cost depends on your budget. i.e. many parents are spending $100+ every 18 mths for a new pair of skins for their growing kids. And yet these kids train once a week and play once week, and are sedentary the rest of the time, and don't do enough resistance, coordination, flexibility, or ballistic movement training. Yet you are not cool unless you have skins......

I still run cross country and road races. Should be doing about 100k a week, but with kids, and everything else usually get about 70k in.

Still love getting out in the fresh air to clear my mind, or with a few mates. Very refreshing.

I absolutely love running. It is the one and only time I get to myself to be free and enables me to think clearly. Just the thought of being able to run anywhere, breathe in the fresh air and be free is exhilarating! I can do alot of problem solving running.:D (Maybe I need to get out more...;))

I just can't find the time now between teaching 10 classes a week. Mostly Boxing and RPM, so I have a nice balance of upper and lower body.

However, as WW mentions, (sigh) it is better for me physically to be exercising at a lower impact than pounding the hard pavement.

Every now and then, I hit the beach for some sand running.:)

Regards Jo

I would love to teach group classes, josko. Did you do a Certificate III at Tafe or equivalent?

I run - working my way up to a half marathon, maybe in September this year but most likely May next year. Keeping fit keeps me feeling sane!

I would love to teach group classes, josko. Did you do a Certificate III at Tafe or equivalent?

I run - working my way up to a half marathon, maybe in September this year but most likely May next year. Keeping fit keeps me feeling sane!

Hi auror,

Yes I did, by correspondence.

I have always been a gym junkie and find it is a great release. I used to work in Advertising and my job was all about deadlines....it is a great balance for my head. My main job now isn't as stressful but I still love the feeling of helping people. Especially when they leave the class exhausted. It's a real sense of achievement and what other job do people actually thank you for on a daily basis.:):)

Regards JO

I used to go to the gym but could never keep it up for more than 3 months as it was time consuming and I couldn't fit it in with my lifestyle/commitments.

But I've found the perfect exercise now, I ride the exercise bike for 1- 1 1/2 hours a day while playing video games. The time passes by in a flash and I hardly recognise I'm exercising.

I've also taken up Kite boarding in the last 2 months but am finding it very frustrating as I've only got out 3 times due to wind conditions.

Pablo.

i used to rollerblade to work, or walk, or take the bixxer - gears are for pussies. :cool:

awesome workout, better than running by a long shot.

but now those days are gone, i'm not so self-assured. and now i find, i've changed my mind, i've opened up the dooooor.

help me if you can....i'm getting fat.

and i

cant walk to work.....anymooooooore

oh

help me get my mo-ti-va-tion baaaack

wont you please

please

help me.

Hi auror,

Yes I did, by correspondence.

I have always been a gym junkie and find it is a great release. I used to work in Advertising and my job was all about deadlines....it is a great balance for my head. My main job now isn't as stressful but I still love the feeling of helping people. Especially when they leave the class exhausted. It's a real sense of achievement and what other job do people actually thank you for on a daily basis.:):)

Regards JO

Thanks for that insight, Jo. I've been fortunate to have a some really good group instructors (mainly bodypump)... I'm amazed at how they can keep encouraging and cueing while lifting weights far heavier than what I'm doing! Would love to do this someday but I definitely need to build up my fitness though! There's no way i can talk throughout bodypump, usually gasping for air!

Back