Exercise - What do you do?

What do you do for exercise on a regular basis?

I've been doing bodyweight exercises of late most evenings which is not only frugal, but enjoyable.

Going for a run is also a staple that is done a minimum of twice a week, if I'm short on time, then I'll a do a quick 2km lap that takes about 10.5-11 minutes then half a dozen light pole to light pole sprints that is only another minute of exercise time (sprint-walk back-sprint). Otherwise I aim for a 5 km run twice a week (Parkrun.com.au is a great option)

Your metabolism apparently slows down as you get older and it's harder to lose weight, something to with being less efficient hunters as we get older, so our bodies are designed to store more energy reserves as a safety feature

I was reading a thread on another investing site where even some of the older members where doing bodyweight workouts such as pull ups and push ups (on that note - nowadays I don't even think you can find monkey bars, I've not seen one for years in a playground).

I've some MAMIL friends who spend some big money on push bikes and ride to work and on weekends regularly, this also seems to work well in being a gut buster (not too many heavyweights there), I'm not too keen on interacting with vehicles though (a coastal bike path, or off road ride is okay)

I'm wondering what others here do for exercise, both for fitness and health

Last edited:
Everyday : 15 pushup, 15 min walk to station
Twice a week: 1.5 hours of tennis.
Once a week: 40 min bike ride with a kid

Once upon a time I trained/competed in powerlifting.
These days my 4.5hr commute leaves me without time and energy :(

30 mins cardio (treadmill running or crosstrainer) 4 times a week.

Basketball twice a week.

Weights three times a week.

Cheers

Jamie

Hoola hooping with a weighted hoop while jogging on the spot :eek:
Only because I have to try and strengthen my core from a back surgery and everything else hurt like hell.... (Physio/Pilates/yoga)
Otherwise, I don't exercise much at all these days! (Oh ok it's been a few years now!)

I am currently cycling between 200km and 800km per week, dependant on elevation, training schedule and events.

Im just about to crack the 10,000km so far this year, with over 80,000m of vertical elevation. So an average of 400km/week or 13hrs average. An 800km week is around 30hrs.

I am currently training for a very specific and significant ride at the moment with a race date of 21st of June. Looking forward to it, but I know the pain is coming, and very exhausting challenge. My ride this morning confirmed I am 'as ready as Ill ever be'. More details in a thread soon.

Having come from an Ironman Triathlon background, and been racing Triathlons for 16yrs, exercise has been more part of my life than anything outside of family, work and sleep commitments. Sad but true. I believe it will always continue to be as well.

pinkboy

These days my 4.5hr commute leaves me without time and energy :(

.....oh, stop moaning D.T., I offered you extremely reasonable accommodation that would slash your commute and give you back many hours per day, but you chose to keep beating your head against a wall.

Give us a call when you come to your senses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering what others here do for exercise, both for fitness and health
After the bloke 3 doors up had a fatal heart attack while trying to start the wipper-snipper on the 3rd pull then fell flat on the footpath dead the other day iv'e gone back to reading Phantom-Comics..

I've long felt a bit guilty and thought I should do something. I play tennis a once a week and walk to and from the trains station, but that's about it.
Then we had some people staying in our Airbnb pad who were in their late 60s and very fit. Joe wore one of those pedometers and said all they do is make sure they do at least 10,000 steps every day.
He bought me one and I've been wearing it for three weeks. I have discovered that just in the course of my normal day I average over 10,000 steps. On the day I play tennis, the step count for the day is over 20,000. Even on the weekend when I mostly hang around the house I do close to 15,000 steps (I don't sit around watching telly).
So now I feel less guilty and haven't had to change anything.

Been busting my gut at the gym for the last five weeks - to the point I walk out every day with sweat literally dripping from my hair - with no visible change.

So ... bugger that ... I'm off to split some firewood instead

I jog my memory on occasion ;) but as Arthur Daley would've said "on ya bike!"

DT your other option is to move work closer to you a much better solution I found, especially when I could ride there.

Back