Why are so many of these threads being moved???

slightly off topic and possibly a dumb question - what is the difference between the "new posts" link and the "todays posts" option in the quick links...

i have just always used the latter to scan what has been added to since my last visit.

Why ? The New Posts search gives you exactly the same information.

I think its because it feels like the posts are all jumbled up! I guess I just prefer to browse each section at time...so will continue on with that for now. Whatever happens I dont think it will be enough to break the Somersoft addiction!

I understand the reasoning behind the changes and am sure with time everyone will come to see them as normal. Nothing like change to stir things up, and like a new reno'd room, it wont take long before the new sheen rubs off and the room feels more comfortable and lived in....

Nadia

Why ? The New Posts search gives you exactly the same information.

Hi Sim,

One thing that would helpful in the "New Posts" section is that if it can revert you to your last read post like it does from the overview section.

But, I have now been using the "new posts" section since you made the changes - and I still would like the general column to be moved back to top - can't explain why, it was just better :eek:

I honestly don't think there was a lack of input in the other sections before your change. I personally think general is really interesting for everyone - it's great for those non-specific questions - I understand that the section is still there - but it doesn't have the same community feel anymore - and it's just not as good :(

Cheers,
Jen

One thing that would helpful in the "New Posts" section is that if it can revert you to your last read post like it does from the overview section.

Click on the
firstnew.gif
icon that shows up in the New Posts search - that will take you to your first unread post in that thread.

slightly off topic and possibly a dumb question - what is the difference between the "new posts" link and the "todays posts" option in the quick links...

"New Posts" only works for users who are logged in and actually remembers the posts you have personally viewed - even within each thread. This shows you threads which have been updated since the last time you checked, no matter how long that is.

"Today's Posts" shows only those threads which have been updated within the past 24 hours. If you don't visit the forum for 2 days and then use this search, you'll potentially miss out on some updated threads. This search option works for both members and guests since it doesn't actually keep track of posts you have read.

sweet - thanks Sim...appreciate your time and effort with that response.

i also now realise i have been doing it the wrong way for all these years :p

cheeers
UC:D

Click on the
firstnew.gif
icon that shows up in the New Posts search - that will take you to your first unread post in that thread.

Sorry, I'm a computer idiot :eek: I can't see that symbol you're referring to when I click on new posts - where is it??

Thanks for your help!! :)

Cheers,
Jen

and actually remembers the posts you have personally viewed - even within each thread.
Is there any way then to have it not display the posts you've already read when you click on the thread to view it - at least by default?

For example, if I've already read posts 1-99 in a thread, when I click on the thread again can I only see posts starting from 100?

That's what CompuServe has always done, and it's a great feature (would be great if it worked like this in the Threaded mode as well).

GP

When I click on "new posts" (I cannot see anything about "today's posts") the first post comes up, and then I click on "view first unread", which takes me to the first post I have not read.

If I cannot see the little arrow thingy, and cannot see "today's posts" perhaps not everybody can see "view first unread"?

"New Posts" only works for users who are logged in and actually remembers the posts you have personally viewed - even within each thread. This shows you threads which have been updated since the last time you checked, no matter how long that is.

"Today's Posts" shows only those threads which have been updated within the past 24 hours. If you don't visit the forum for 2 days and then use this search, you'll potentially miss out on some updated threads. This search option works for both members and guests since it doesn't actually keep track of posts you have read.

Where is "today's posts?" This is what I see when I login -

Welcome, JenD.

Home User CP Gallery Blogs Members Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links Chatroom Log Out

Thanks,
Jen

you see 'todays post' if you are not logged in.

you see 'new posts' if you are logged in.

If you use 'new posts', just to the left of each post title in the resultant search results is one of these
firstnew.gif

it'l take you to the first post that you haven't seen in that thread.

I right click on it and open it in a new tab. Go through the whole page and do hte same for each thread I'm interested in. End up with a whole heap of tabs that I can read and then close when done.

Is there any way then to have it not display the posts you've already read when you click on the thread to view it - at least by default?

For example, if I've already read posts 1-99 in a thread, when I click on the thread again can I only see posts starting from 100?

No, but there is a link to take you to the first unread post in the thread - see my previous reply to JenD.

When I click on "new posts" (I cannot see anything about "today's posts") the first post comes up, and then I click on "view first unread", which takes me to the first post I have not read.

Yes, that's the other way to do it - from within the thread itself - see attached screenshot.

Attachments

• firstunread.png
    firstunread.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 70
Where is "today's posts?"

To summarise what ani and s_t have already said (thanks!):

1. if you are logged in, you see "New Posts" in the menu at the top
2. if you are NOT logged in, you instead see "Today's Posts" (since New Posts doesn't work for people who are not logged in)
3. there is another link to "Today's Posts" in the "Quick Links" menu for those people who like to use that search while logged in

Thanks Sim,

I've now worked out how to view straight to your last read posts if you click "new post" - there's a lovely little tab on the left-side of the thread topic - took me 3 years to work that one out!! :eek: I'm definitly an idiot!! :D

Cheers,
Jen

Back