Why was Aceyducey's thread removed??

I was in the process of posting a reply to Acey (see below) when the whole thread was removed.

Could someone please explain to me why?

This was my response (glad I was spell checking in Word and had it saved) ....

Imho posts like this do not belong on a PROPERTY forum.

I hope the moderators delete it pronto.

Mark

I dunno, I've been curious to what Acey does for a long time and as he's a long standing member of our Somersoft community who, like yourself, has made a lot of outstanding contributions, I'm glad he's taken the time to also share this with us.

I don't believe anyone can accuse Acey of being here just to 'flog' his own products. The only minor thing he may have done differently is posted it in 'caveat emptor' instead of the 'coffee lounge'. I'm sure a mod will move it there if I'm right.

Cheers

SOS

I've never accused Acey of just being here to flog his own products (though I have accused others of that).

This is a property investment forum - not IPO central.

It is one thing to permit members to promote (either covertly or overtly) other products or services that are property related (such as books, seminars, etc) - but the matter here is an IPO (for an oil company) which is a completely different kettle of fish and around which there are a myriad of rules.

I believe it is to the detriment of this property forum to allow such posts.

As a result I took Aceyducey off my ignore list long enough to send the following complaint to all mods, super mods, and administrators (Sim / Ian Somers).

I make no secret of that.

Mark

Ian

(Cc Sim / Ruby / Les)

I'm not 100% sure you get notified of complaints about posts, so I am sending you this complaint I have just made.

Mark (aka Pitt St)

I have briefly taken Craig off my ignore list to send you this message.

Never one to mince my words - let me be direct.

It is an absolute mistake to permit posts like this on Somersoft.

I realise that some people already use the forum to promote seminars, property deals, etc, but this is an IPO (a much different beast).

SadlyI believe this forum took a turn for the worst when blatant promotion of Steve Navra's products was tolerated.The grass was well and truly mowed at that point and now everyone else (other promoters) are quite able to play on the field.

Despite that being the case, it does not preclude YOU (the moderators, super moderators, adminstrators, and site owner) from being tougher on this sort of behaviour.

A line has to be drawn at some point or else these kinds of posts will continue to be made - and they will only increase, to the detriment of the forum.

Please draw a line in the sand.

Take the lead.

And be prepared to accept that some people will not like it.

But do it knowing that it is in the best interests of the forum.

This is a property investment forum - IPOs for Oil Companies (even from a long standing member) do not belong here!

Sincerely

Mark (aka Pitt St)

hi all
I had but a reply and as it was removed it wouldn't allow it to be posted.
and as I had to go backwards to find where it was I didn't cut and re post my response but here it is anyway.
Hi Pitt st
I am not involved in this project but my view is that as long as you do not get to close to th pds I for one would like to hear what people are involved in there was alot of disclaimers in the post and he did say he would answer question of the project without getting to specific.
I like to find out information on lots of different markets and this is a market that I currently have no exposure to.
we have alot of people that do contribute to forums and they come from lots of different markets I did hit on the link and it was very interesting but to delete everything that does not fit into a certain box for me is not the way to go.
you may not like the post and I accept your opininon but for me I have no problem with it.
its not property investing but for a balanced portfolio you should look across different markets thats one thing and the other is I like to hear what different people are investing or doing, thats the whole reason for the interview section.
maybe interview Acey and then he can post the link.

I didn't read it but am looking forward to it being reinstated.

If it's in the Coffee Lounge it doesn't have to be property related.

***So what if this is a property forum.***

As long as the shares and other investment stuff doesn't clog up the sections where property should be posted what does it matter.

I post mainly stuff that is not property related. Why do I do this? This is because I post stuff that I know about. I happen to know about shares and I think I am good at it. I also know about rural property and food production.

I post on this forum because it is the best. I also can't stand the daytrader crap on share forums. I'm also learning about property along the way. In return, I like to add stuff that I know about for people to use. As a result, I talk about share and general economic subjects. If I only posted about property, I wouldn't post very much as I would only be kidding myself that I'm an expert in that field. I'm not, far from it.

If this forum tries to suppress the non property related stuff, then I would go elsewhere. I was about to read Acceys post and just as I was about to it disappeared. I do think it should have been in the cavate emptore section, but that's Acceys only mistake. Accey's post should not have been removed. Accey is a valued contributor. The best here as far as I'm concerned. It's different for a one time poster putting up spam. Get rid of it immediately

See ya's.

I like to find out information on lots of different markets and this is a market that I currently have no exposure to.

you may not like the post and I accept your opininon but for me I have no problem with it.
grossreal,
I have to agree with PittSt on this item,because if you don't you will have a flood of predicitions and negative rampant opinions on everything..
You seem like an experienced investor why would anyone try and sell this idea in here?
good luck willair

Why should anyone want to promote a share issue in a property forum? There are plenty of other forums that cater for that. Irrespective of whether acey has a long history of valuable property-related posts, I think he should be reminded of the fact that this is a property-related forum and that if he wants to share such a great opportunity with his mates, he should do it in another manner.

Thanks all for the replies.

Mark, I wasn't saying you were accusing Acey, it was just experessing my opinion.

I'm glad I'm not alone in what my initial thoughts were however, as Ian is the administrator and owner of this forum, I'll accept his decision and say no more about it.

Ian, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Cheers

Why should anyone want to promote a share issue in a property forum?

Firstly, er...I think aceyducey is a 'she' and not a 'he' as Acey has replied to a thread using "Aunty Aceyducey"

Secondly, I know that you own the forum and moderators etc look after the forum, however, as grossreal and sultan has mentioned, it is generally good to have a variety of topics raised in any forum. If property forums were only about property that would be limiting as we can't see how broadminded the particular forumite is. I generally enjoy reading forumites posting across the threads of property and general things as this gives me a good idea as to how balanced that particular contributor is.

If share topics were only raised in share forums..I wouldn't have come across a property forum link promoting and mentioning this forum ;) As prior to somersoft, i spent 100% of my time in share forums :)

Anyway, maybe reallocate the thread to a different part? Now my curiousity has reared its head. I have read quite a lot of Acey's postings and have enjoyed her (?) contributions.

Cheers, LV

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, er...I think aceyducey is a 'she' and not a 'he' as Acey has replied to a thread using "Aunty Aceyducey"

I don't think Acey would like to be referred to as a 'she', and neither would his wife and children! :D

Take a look at his profile and all will be revealed.

Aunty Acey was in inverted commas on that particular post.

Cheers, LV

Acey definitely looked like a "he" last I met him - but I guess looks can be deceiving.... or did he have a gender reassignment? :D

Cheers,

The Y-man

I don't think Acey would like to be referred to as a 'she', and neither would his wife and children! :D

Hi Sultan and Y-man,

I take back everything I said about the he/she part but the rest of my opinions still stand (ie: I've enjoyed his posts) omg...wife and children...definitely a he :D !!!

I never saw the thread.
However, I don't think Sim would mind if the post in question was posted by Acey on the www.invested.com/forums site....
So lets discuss it there.

SadlyI believe this forum took a turn for the worst when blatant promotion of Steve Navra's products was tolerated.The grass was well and truly mowed at that point and now everyone else (other promoters) are quite able to play on the field

BTW - Mark (Pitt St) , the day you start up your own business and decide to mention it on the forum, I hope you realise people will be asking you similar questions that you pose now, so be prepared. I know of several others on this forum that are getting a little tired of your anti Steve Navra comments.

Perky

There's a BIG difference between mentioning something (be it a book, a seminar, or a service) and blatant promotion "Here's my latest IPO".

I'm sorry to disapoint, but you'll never see me touting for business on somersoft (primarily because I don't need to). But in any event, how stupid do you think I am?

And lastly, I stand by my comment that it was a sad day for this forum when it became a billboard for Steve Navra.

But that isn't an anti-Navra comment - it is a reflection on forum standards that slipped.

Excuse me for doing my bit to lift them again.

M

Last edited:
hi willair
from reading the post and looks like I was one of the more fortunate to read it I did not see it selling anything if anything it did say that it was not giving advice to invest and he was not going to talk about investing in it.
I must admit that people do have lots of opinion but not all are trying to sell something.
although a few may think of some of my project to be trolling or what ever.
for me the person who is reading the post should make up there mind and invest in what ever they feel comfortable with.
and the post was put in coffee lounge section so I think it was in the right place as its somewhere to drink a coffee and have a read

I missed that post too, shame...

I just hope AceyDucey (Craig) posts it on InvestEd for those of us interested in investment options other than real estate.

I agree with Ian's intent to maintain his vision for this site and so support pulling of the thread, but personally would love to have been able to see it. Its just that THIS is not an investment forum, its a property forum.

Over to InvestEd then for a while...

Cheers,
Michael

I didn't see the post in question, so I can only make general comments on what I like & don't like about the business people connected with the forum & their "advertising" of such.

If it was a blatant post asking for investors, such as: "I've got a great deal for you" or "Come to my seminar", "It's time to get into shares & these are the ones to buy", etc. Then I don't think it should be allowed.

If, however, it was something more subtle such as a link in his signature or "Go see an independant broker", from such a broker (we all know who I'm referring to here, don't we? But he is not saying come to me, he is saying to go to someone independant, you could go to ANY independant broker), or something tongue in cheek, like some of Geoffw's posts about Subway (of course we are not going to go half way around the country for one of his footlongs). These type of comments I believe should be allowed.

Of course, there will be times where a fine line is walked.

The shares/property debate is another issue altogether. I don't know anything about shares, but I believe they do have a place in a well balanced portfolio & as such I would like to have some input from those on the forum that are more knowledgeable than me (almost everyone, I expect).

It was a post offering info about an investment.

Maybe also more relevant if the person posting has a " reputation " on the forum and could be seen to be profitering from that.

I also see a differentiation between some posts promoting businesses and others , probably more in the scale / size / commitment and risk involved in the investment . If someone is flogging ( oops linking to ) to a new gizmo they've invented or something they've written ( in the coffee lounge ) , I think there would be less concerns.

I don't think anyone would have had concerns about RJ's recent post re the Big Billboard . Clever idea , though I wonder if can generate money , maybe needs tweaking somehow.

See Change

Back